We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A math question for Landmark and other mathematicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 23:06, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 22:03, landmark wrote:
The pizza question is actually a classic problem that high school teachers love to give to their math students. Simply, if instead of making a 6-inch circular pizza, you make a 12-inch circular pizza, how much more pizza are you making?

Using the pies are squared method?

:applause:
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"He works from home and companies send him adds by fax etcetera."

Does he work in the 1980's as well? Smile

Can you even buy a fax machine anymore?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I bet he even has an AOL email address.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
People still fax. I'm standing right beside a fax machine. Well, it's a copier, scanner, fax machine, tooth-brush and goodness knows what else. I think we had a fax this year. Maybe even two.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 15:01, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

People still fax. I'm standing right beside a fax machine. Well, it's a copier, scanner, fax machine, tooth-brush and goodness knows what else. I think we had a fax this year. Maybe even two.

We get faxes sent to our photocopier every day. Usually spam faxes about printer cartridge deals and things like that.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
All modern printers have Print. Copy. Scan. Fax.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEXMARKS815-Lexm......04JSKVC6
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20659 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess I am the only one confused by the use of the word "pie" to denote pizza!

I remember the first time I ran into that was in college. My roomie and I were there the first day freshman year. He was from the East Coast and wanted to know if I wanted to split a "pie". Couple of problems. First I don't like pie, as in dessert pastry filled with fruit, and I had no idea "pie" could mean pizza! I was thinking wow this dude must really like pie.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20659 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 14:59, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I bet he even has an AOL email address.

And a cell phone the size of a shoe box.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 20:56, Dannydoyle wrote:
I guess I am the only one confused by the use of the word "pie" to denote pizza!

I remember the first time I ran into that was in college. My roomie and I were there the first day freshman year. He was from the East Coast and wanted to know if I wanted to split a "pie". Couple of problems. First I don't like pie, as in dessert pastry filled with fruit, and I had no idea "pie" could mean pizza! I was thinking wow this dude must really like pie.

Is that a Chicago thing or a Danny thing?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
The point of using fax is a matter of security and law it seems:

Some services offer secure faxing to comply with stringent HIPAA and Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act requirements to keep medical information and financial information private and secure. Utilizing a fax service provider does not require paper, a dedicated fax line, or consumable resources.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 15:11, S2000magician wrote:
Unlike your original question, there is nothing ambiguous about twelve inches.

No, but there IS something to be desired. Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 22:26, AllAboutMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 15:11, S2000magician wrote:
Unlike your original question, there is nothing ambiguous about twelve inches.

No, but there IS something to be desired. Smile

That's a topic for another thread.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 20:56, Dannydoyle wrote:

It may be an East Coast thing. We always called them "pizza pies" in New Jersey.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I was weaned on pizza pies in Queens, NYC.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 10:18, Jack Straw wrote:
I'm directing this towards Landmark simply because I know that he teaches or taught mathematics at good schools in NYC, and was also a private math tutor.

But anyone who really knows math can chime in here.

There is no room in math for speculation and guesses and I believes, so please do not answer with those kind of statements.

I'm having a little disagreement in another actual magic thread concerning the size of a Jumbo Deck of cards.

It has been claimed that a Jumbo Deck is "Four times the size of a regular deck".

I insist that "Four times the size" of a normal, 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" deck is 14" x 10", but all others claim that 7" x 5" is four times the size.

7" x 5" is 4 times the AREA, but NOT 4 times the SIZE.

Size and area are two entirely different things.

14" x 10" is four times the SIZE, correct?

Thanks, Jack

The answer, if you recall your ancient history, involves the cube root of two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubling_the_cube

so, neither of the answers in the OP are correct.

being thick Smile,

JonT
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 23:38, Bob1Dog wrote:
I was weaned on pizza pies in Queens, NYC.

Northeast Jersey, Queens, Long Island, etc. Same basic language.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
...or if you want "four times the size" - multiply each dimension by the cube root of four.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 23:36, mastermindreader wrote:
It may be an East Coast thing. We always called them "pizza pies" in New Jersey.
Could it be a Deano thang? That's amore!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
In my view it is an unfair trade practice to simply use the term jumbo, large, small or whatever without also putting the size in terms of empirical measurement ie Jumbo cards : length x width.

Tommy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3548 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
To a graphics artist, "size" and "sizing" comes up all the time. You "re-size" a photo or a drawing. When you do a function like this, it is almost always an increase in width and height and if you re-size something to 4 times its original size, you get results like the OP. It is what is familiar. To a mathematician, it would be different.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A math question for Landmark and other mathematicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL