We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A math question for Landmark and other mathematicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2014-02-08 00:06, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
...or if you want "four times the size" - multiply each dimension by the cube root of four.

Troublemaker.
Now about those double-faced cards...and that Phil deck...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20659 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 21:32, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 20:56, Dannydoyle wrote:
I guess I am the only one confused by the use of the word "pie" to denote pizza!

I remember the first time I ran into that was in college. My roomie and I were there the first day freshman year. He was from the East Coast and wanted to know if I wanted to split a "pie". Couple of problems. First I don't like pie, as in dessert pastry filled with fruit, and I had no idea "pie" could mean pizza! I was thinking wow this dude must really like pie.

Is that a Chicago thing or a Danny thing?

It is a Chicago thing that they are pizzas. Being dumb enough to think he meant a desert is a Danny thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
A troll was originally a witch or a sorceress. Numerology is any study of the purported divine, mystical or other special relationship between a number and some coinciding observed (or perceived) events.

The bulk of this book is about numerological personal yantras (4 x 4 magic squares) which include the numbers in a person's date of birth. You will find it easy to follow the instructions to construct your own personal yantra and find out what it says about you. This book also teaches how to use yantras for love, luck and protection (as talisman):

http://www.amazon.com/Numerology-Magic-R......67188133
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Quote:
On 2014-02-08 01:48, Pop Haydn wrote:
To a graphics artist, "size" and "sizing" comes up all the time. You "re-size" a photo or a drawing. When you do a function like this, it is almost always an increase in width and height and if you re-size something to 4 times its original size, you get results like the OP. It is what is familiar. To a mathematician, it would be different.

Thanks, Pop.

After reading all of this, I guess that I was wrong in thinking that this was a mathematical thing. But it is definitely a graphic arts thing, and that's where I come from!

My graphic design background trumps my math background and my magic background, and I will make no excuses for that.

I went to Penguin to see what they had to say about Jumbo Cards.

Here is how they describe the size:

"For those times you need a playing card just a little larger than the rest, these jumbo cards are equivalent to four poker-sized cards placed next to each other.

Dimensions Approximately 4 1/2" x 7" (11.5cm x 17.75cm)"

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S5598

Nowhere do they call them "Four times the size of a normal poker card".

I did not contact them and pressure them into describing them that way, but I feel that that is the proper way to do it.

Notice that I now said that "I feel". I cannot feel any other way.

If anyone here has any doubts about what Pop said above, I'd be willing to send the first person that responds to me in a PM $5 to go down to a Kinko's or Staples or whatever, and ask them to make a copy of a playing card at 4 times it's original size. You must state "Four times the size" in your request. See what you get and come back here to report it.

I will make the payment only after you report back here.

Even if it comes out to 4 1/2" (or 5") x 7".

You should make at least a $4 profit on your adventure.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20659 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you felt so strongly why bother to ask?

Also just because you feel strongly in no way makes you right. No matter how many you can find to agree.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Fine, Danny.

No argument there.

Why did I ask?

Why not?
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Lobowolf is going to Kinko's.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Jack-

Did you look in the dictionary as I suggested? "Size" is ambiguous because, as the dictionary will tell you, it is also a synonym for "area."
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Sorry, Bob, I did not.

Until now.

I do not have a comprehensive dictionary, and the best I could get was "A thing's overall dimensions or magnitude", and gave an example as being "A forest the size of Connecticut", which is clearly an example of area.

So I will admit that there are many ways of figuring out size.

But (and there is always a "but", isn't there?) in my life it all comes down to what I do every day. Most people here do not spend a lot of time concerned with "size". I do. Every day. Well, five days a week. And that's how we size things.

See Pop Haydn's comments above.

Sure, I would say that something was "The size of Connecticut" if it was applicable.

But if you gave me a playing card and told me to make it twice the size, even after reading 5 pages of this, I would still give you a 5" x 7" playing card.

It can't be any other way for me.

Imagine me arguing with my boss that a 5" x 7" playing card is not twice the size. He would think that I am on drugs and probably fire me.

The settings in the "Indesign" program are set up that way, and there is no way to argue with that. Even before computerization, it was the same way. We had a giant camera (and I mean GIANT- it had to be 6 feet tall and 20 feet long, with the film end in a darkroom and the copy end out in the light), and if I shot a playing card at twice the size, you would end up with a 5" x 7" playing card.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I understand your argument, Jack, but having seen that "size" is indeed subject to interpretation, do you now at least agree that it's not "false advertising" to state that a jumbo card is "four times the size" of a regular card?
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
OK, Bob.

It's not false advertising.

But seeing that size is open to interpretation, just stating the actual size is the easiest way to go.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20659 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Plus you intentionally asked a math question and argued a printing answer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Well, Danny, please forgive me. To me it was a mathematical question, because that's the way I saw it. So I was wrong.

And here I go again, asking for trouble. I still see it that way. But please forgive me again, because it's my design background that is distorting my views of the situation. Not my math background, which is strong.

What I do 40 hours a week cannot be changed here because I still have to go to work on Monday and do it all over again.

So it's semantics. OK. I can live with that.

But I know which semantics I have to live with.

Also, Penguin could have gone with the old "Four times the size of a regular deck", but they chose not to. Why? Everybody else does it, why not them? They must have seen something amiss about using that language.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
And at least this has been a fairly interesting discussion, has it not?
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Quote:
On 2014-02-08 18:43, Jack Straw wrote:
Well, Danny, please forgive me. To me it was a mathematical question, because that's the way I saw it. So I was wrong.

Can I say that it's a mathematical question with a special guest appearance from the Semantics twins?
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
I was just watching Harry Anderson's November 2012 Penguin lecture, and he did a 3 Card Monte with 3 cards that appeared to be, by my definition, four times the size of a normal deck.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
An example of why you need to know dimensions of things, and not just the square footage or "four times the size of a regular deck" or "twice the size of the parcel of land next door", since real estate has come up here several times:

A man bought an 1885 square-foot parcel of land with no house on it for $120,000.

Depending on where you live that might be a good price, or you might be able to get a 2,500 square-foot new house on it with money to spare.

Why was that sale so unusual?

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns.......6014120
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Ok Jack, you can probably give it up now. You had a good run, it lasted 5 pages. The people have stopped answering your questions, time to let it go. Math and graphics and size and area are all......ohhh who gives a ship? Smile
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
But yet you came back to read more.

You don't have to, you know.

And there's no need for a beautiful girl like you to say bad words here.

If you don't like me, fine. I can live with that. I have absolutely no animosity towards anyone that has commented here at all. I've been very civil about it all.

I'll be done (I think) after Lobowolf comes back to report.
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
I didn't use bad words, I described a floating object. Smile I only came back to make a smart as* comment......it's sort of what I do. I was actually rather impressed as to how long the thread was going, given the fact that everyone was disagreeing with you. Everybody just kept coming back for more.....lol. I have no reason to dislike you.......Just look at General Magician, I like him a lot but am a big smart as* towards him as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A math question for Landmark and other mathematicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL