The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Importance of Music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
The other day I was watching an interview with the classical conductor Gerard Schwarz on PBS-TV. At one point he was commenting on the importance of music in our society. Then he talked about a study that was done, which revealed an amazing statistic: For children who take two years of music in school, the high school graduation rate is 90%. But for children who don't take music, the high school graduation rate is 40%.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I can think of at least one explanation other than cause & effect for that correlation.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I think Gerard's stats might be off. According to this study http://advocacy.nafme.org/files/2012/07/harrispoll.pdf the graduation rate for those schools without a music program was 72% compared to 90% for those schools that did.

I was very happy that my children's school had a very strong music program. Not only theater and chorus but also a jazz band and an orchestra. Music is a vital element of any education program in my opinion.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I can't site any statistic, but I do know that people who study any of the sciences do better if they had some music study or experiences in their background.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I think that learning to play a musical instrument produces at least an intuitive understanding of many principles of mathematics and science. In a sense, music IS mathematics.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Learning anything to an intermediate level of sophistication requires diligence and perseverance. Music, dance, magic, sports, mathematics, etc. etc. have the potential to teach you the rewards of practice and patience.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Another advantage of studying and playing music, is that it teaches kids teamwork. It's not just about "you" as the solo star. As instrumentalists in a musical ensemble, kids learn how to support others. How to work together, with each individual part contributing to the whole. Also, being happy to let someone else "shine" from time to time.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 16:46, arthur stead wrote:
Another advantage of studying and playing music, is that it teaches kids teamwork. It's not just about "you" as the solo star. As instrumentalists in a musical ensemble, kids learn how to support others. How to work together, with each individual part contributing to the whole. Also, being happy to let someone else "shine" from time to time.

It teaches SOME children about teamwork. Smile
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
When I was a kid, growing up in Pittsburgh in the 60's, they started you playing in the first or second grade. I started on cornet then and played through 7th grade. And we also learned to sing, read music. I was in a chorus in both school and church. Everybody took music lessons back then. By high school we were all doing our own thing. I, like most, started playing guitar and singing. school was much less a part of it. But the foundation was there early. I remember having an assembly one morning and musicians from the Pittsburgh Symphony were there to talk about making music. I still remember the trumpet player showing how he could play using a plastic hose. And of course we had the Bernstein Young People's concerts and show. I had a 45 collection of the music from Bernstein's series. No wonder, 50 years ago when when I was 9 and everyone was buying the Beatles and I was buying Mozart. I still have and play that LP.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Importance of Music (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL