The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The 100th Monkey for Children (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Hey guys –

Jack Straw shared a very cool children’s presentation on The 100th Monkey thread in Latest and Greatest. It’s for Speechless, an effect where you take away someone’s ability to read (it's one of three effects in the package). Here’s what Jack wrote:

Quote:
These performances were some of the most enjoyable ones that I have ever done, as, in one of them, I had a reading teacher that could not read the words, but the 11 year old kids and other adults there could!

Thought you might enjoy that. His comments (quoted with permission) are on this page of the thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......t=330#20 Wizard Product review here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zdSNRuaF8g (at 19:45 – 98 and 97%)

-Chris
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
578 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Embarrassing a teacher on stage in front of their pupils is hardly ever a good idea.
MagisterFreud
View Profile
Regular user
The 18
135 Posts

Profile of MagisterFreud
You're assuming that the teacher was the teacher of those kids. He never said that. Teachers go to family parties, too.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
If you when performing the effect let the audience and the Teacher know that you are about to make the Teacher, Principal, or whomever SPEECHLESS that is a GREAT Idea and the Older Kids would really enjoy this. This effect is one for your Older School Shows such as Middle School and High School. If you have never seen the Routine performed how can you criticize it?

And you are NOT embarrassing the Teacher as you are going to tell them that you are going to make it impossible for them to read a simple word. The will in no way be able to pronounce the word but the Audience will. And I believe this will play very well in Schools and not one single person will be embarrassed or treated poorly as they are in on it from the start.

I actually own this effect and will take what has been given above and put it into my Family Shows, Middle & High School Shows, Grad Parties and more.

Try the effect you just might like it. Plus you get more than 1-effect that could be done in the Family, Middle and High School Shows. I know I am having a lot of FUN with this routine.

And before you ask, no I do not know Chris nor am I being paid to endorse his product. I am just a very Happy Customer. It seems like the US and other Countries find Humor very differently. I think that the US is way more into Humor as long as your spectator is treated right and in this effect they are totally treated with much respect.

If you do not own the effect how can you really comment if you have not tried out what has been described above?

Rodney

Just My Penny's Worth as that is all I have.
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Thanks, Rodney.

Hey MickNZ, I’ve done this routine many, many times and no one has ever felt embarrassed – instead, they laugh along with everyone else and then I get people rushing up and asking me to take away their ability to read. It’s fun and funny. Could you do it in such a way to embarrass someone? Absolutely, but no good performer is going to do that. My main scripting has this as a way to see through the eyes of a child, to see the world filled with wonder, to remember what it was like to be at an age when you could speak but couldn’t read. If I was doing this on a teacher in front of students I’d add something like, “Try to remember how it feels to a student just learning to read…” When they fail to read the word, give them positive feedback like “That’s great! You really remember what it was like to be a beginning reader. You must really relate to these kids!” I think everyone would have a ton of fun with this.

I’m not sure what scripting Jack used when he presented it, but I doubt he would have said the performances were “some of the most enjoyable ones that I have ever done” if people were getting embarrassed and feeling bad. I think his idea is just lovely.

-Chris
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Hi,
I whilst I have this effect and I like it . There are so so many great effects out there that I think would play much better than this for kids .
yes you could make it play but why bother when so many things are likely to play better for kids
Phil
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Hey Phil -- I guess that's a question every performer has to answer for themselves.

And a note: it seems Jack wasn't the first to post about doing this on English teachers -- here's a paragraph from a review by Michael Murray (reprinted on the café):

Quote:
In the short time I've had this I've performed this a lot and no matter whether I'm robbing English teachers of their ability to read (my most memorable performance) or performing to fellow performers this never fails to get a great reaction. No matter whether you perform children’s magic, close up magic, parlor magic or stage you will find a place for one of these monkeys within your act. In short I absolutely love this and know you will too!

-Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The 100th Monkey for Children (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL