The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Question: Any Alternatives to Lefler Table? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Is there a less expensive, lighter weighing alternative to the Lefler rolling table?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here's one option for a suitcase table that weighs less... but it isn't less expensive:

--> Alum-I-Lite Suitcase Table, by Fairchild Magic

There's also this one:

--> The Telescope Table, by Tony Clark

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enmjLddcxy0

Also, Christopher Weed talked about the weight on the Lefler Tables on this thread.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Here is an idea that may serve your purpose. Look for the plastic Keter tool chest. This could be made into a table with a little added wooden or plastic top and comes with three detachable tool boxes that stacks upon a rolling dolly that is included. You can customize the various sized drawers, which lock by the way and so do the wheels. Costs about $100 at a SAMS club. It can be dismantled to carry in a small car and put together in a jiffy. Just velcro a curtain around it and you are ready to go.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
For kid shows, I use a colorful plastic tote on a restaurant tray stand. I attach a sign on the end and it looks pretty good. The tote is so light that I can lift an empty one with my little finger. They absorb considerable shock and protect the props quite well. I load mine with cardboard boxes, to act as dividers, to further protect the props.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I like the Lefler-style rolling table because you can keep your props organized and ready to go, with minimal re-arranging when you get to a gig. Was hoping there were other (cheaper) solutions which would accomplish the same thing.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Try a case on a waiter stand. I've been using that setup and LOVE it compared to the lefler-style tables. Many pro magicians use this setup. You can use a briefcase, trunk, luggage case, or other case. Right now, I'm experimenting with a pelican-style case. I'll see if I can upload pics or a video. I love it compared to the lefler style table.

Hope that helps,
Kevin
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Naturally, the props that you are using will determine to some extent, the size of your baggage.

I started out 40+ years ago with a case on a waiters tray stand. When I started full time school assemblies, I needed a bigger case, so I would borrow the school's Caféteria table and carried a cymbal tripod with a small top. I had a Merv Taylor type suitcase table made. It looked beautiful, carried the props in "ready to work" condition (except loading the two doves and a few small items (4 minutes)and I thought I had finally "found it". BUT, The table weighed more than the props! I had to see a chiropractor to "punch" my back into shape!

I gave away the MT table and bought a 13" x 20" x 8" fibre case (like a FAT attache case). I used cardboard boxes to make "pigeon holes". Each prop has its own hole. The case sits on a waiters tray stand (on wheels). This has worked great for the last 30 years, until I retired. The case, loaded, weighs just a tiny bit over 20lbs.

My biggest prop is a 5" diameter x 7" tall coin pail. Most props are "grab it and do it" props. Most of the props are generic (silks, ropes golf balls etc.) The client doesn't pay you for setting up and tearing down tine, I can "losd in" and set up in 4 minutes, and leave 2-3 minutes after I close!

Suggestion: Work to eliminate the set up time and pack up time! The late FETAQUE SANDERS used to say "Patter packs easier than props!" The Victorian era of 5 tables on stage and a dime store window display of props is OVER! I'm "spending" a whole chapter in my book about this!!!

Best wishes!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Dick,

When the book comes out, I'll be buying one.
gotgot
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of gotgot
How come no-one is doing something like a lefler table in aluminium instead of wood?
What's your prep time when you arrive at the show? for kids show mine is roughly 25 min and it's way too long... (getting the lemon ready, some watery stuff, but mostly setting up the table and unpacking/loading the things on the shelves below the table)
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
This is my go to table http://www.flipdisc.com/product/ultimate-gig-case/

I have been using this for years! So versatile and solidly built!

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I used a suitcase table for years. Loved it, but my show got smaller and my back weaker. I now use this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKUAqSl4Vqk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Question: Any Alternatives to Lefler Table? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL