The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Walking Knot by Pavel (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magic-markus
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of magic-markus
Hi

Here is the dealer text from Hank Lee:

Quote:
Pavel's Super Walking Knot is one of the most impossible rope tricks ever invented. It won the FISM Invention Prize Award and is now used by such working pros as Mike Caveney and Harry Anderson!

Tie a 20 foot length of rope between two chairs. Ask a member of the audience to tell you where to stop as you move a scissors along the rope. Cut the rope at the chosen spot and tie the two pieces together. Now, slowly slide the knot down the rope, untie it and show the rope cut at this new location!

Immediately repeat the effect. Retie the rope, move the knot to another position, untie the knot and the rope will be cut at the new spot!

This can be repeated as often as you wish. Anywhere on the rope!!

A very special rope makes the miracle possible. The rope is made by hand and will last forever.

The list of magicians now using this effect goes on and on. Ali Bongo; Piet Forton; Gaetan Bloom; Paul Daniels; Richard Ross and more and more. Why not add yourself to the list?

Super Walking Knot comes with the special rope and Pavel's routine. It's not inexpensive, but it is one powerful effect!

I want now to know what is the difference between this one which is $240 and the other version which is only $75? Is it the same principle or an other method?

Thanks,
Markus
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Markus:

The principle is the same on both ropes. It's the special rope that does it for you.

The more expensive version allows you to slide the knot to just about any place you want and then untie it there. The cheaper version allows you to move it to only three or four different positions on the rope.

Ron
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The rope is the same diameter and length in both tricks. The gimmicks used are the same in both tricks. The construction, as would be expected from Pavel, is superior in both versions

However, as Ron has pointed out, the inexpensive version only allows you to cut the rope in three places. That’s it! It is more of a bluff as you must “force” the area to be cut then move the knot to one of the other two available areas (again no real free choice). The expensive version allows you a true free choice (the rope has 13 gimmicks!). This is a case of you get what you pay for.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
If you are doing the walking knot in a silent act, you could opt for the cheaper one. But if you want audience participation, use the more expensive one. Or if you are skilled in sewing, you could buy the cheaper version and add a few more gimmicks yourself. Smile
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Or, with an assistant do the original Paul Curry version. A true KILLER. First time I saw this done, by Doug Henning... I was FLOORED.

Siegfried and Roy have used this as well.

Steinmeyer has a third method in print somewhere.

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magic-markus
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of magic-markus
Thank you very much for your answers.

Markus
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Personally, I feel that the original rope, the expensive one looks better. The certain somethings I think are less noticeable when there are so many of them...sort of blend into one big something...verses the other one with so many fewer. However, the extra cost may not make it worthwhile to spend that much more. You need to keep this thing really, really clean too or it can make the gimmicks more obvious.

quack
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
You are right there on the gimmicks getting dirty. A lot of stage floors are dusty. But you can wash them. This trick is really worth it for my act. I use it before my special rope act escape finale.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Steinmeyer version is available from Magic Inc., last priced at $35. It is not a gimmicked item. You cannot do the audience stop thing and it cannot be repeated over and over. It uses more of the performer ability to handle assistants.

It was published in Steinmeyer's lecture notes, I obtained from him some years back. It is more practical to buy this as your will search forever to find the props. I have not found it yet in any of our stores in the area.

See topic "Gimmicked Knife for Rope Trick" in this string. It tell you all you need to know about the Unexpected Knot by Steinmeyer.

Bill Smile
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
166 Posts

Profile of limkris
I have some difficulties making the fake knot in the original Walking Knot by Pavel. Is there any video source that teaches this knot?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
No video that I know of but what you need to do is just keep working on it and do not look at the rope when you tie the knots... Talk over it. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Magicol-1
View Profile
New user
Orlando
90 Posts

Profile of Magicol-1
Pete is dead on with his answer. It took me about two months to get it to look natural, just keep practicing.

M1
Brian Haagen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Brian Haagen
I haven't seen this performed, but I really like the sound of the effect. I was curious as to how this effect is ended. I see that the knot is slid and apparently cut at different spots, but does the rope finally become restored at the end? How do you guys that present this close the effect? Also, where can I see this effect being performed?
magicmanx
View Profile
New user
Working in Benidorm Spain
47 Posts

Profile of magicmanx
At the end of the effect—which I must say is one of the best stage magic rope illusions I have ever performed—you just restore the rope. My billing is "seeing is NOT believing" so I tend to end after restoring the rope saying, "So once again you saw the rope was cut... or is it a case of seeing was NOT believing?" and take my applause. Whatever you do though, PRACTICE< PRACTICE<PRACTICE until you can do this effect with your eyes closed...and I am not joking!!

At present I haven't found any sites demoing this effect, which when you look at the strength of the illusion that's surprising. First time I saw it was on a Paul Daniel's TV show and at the time, blew me away!!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
First time I saw this was in one of Doug Henning's TV specials. He had two of his assistants holding the ends. He cut the rope, slid the knot and untied it.

That fooled me because I thought the secret was both assistants had big reel in their sleeves and they were just holding a piece of rope in their hands. Sometimes, we magicians make things so complicated only to find out how simple it really is.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

Concerning a video demonstration, you can buy a demo video directly from Pavel. Go to his website http://www.pavelmagic.com and click on the "products" tab. He had a video for about $20 that demonstrates a lot of his products.

BTW, I ordered some custom rope from him earlier this month, and had it in my hot little hands in five days.

Ron
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I have a new Pavel's Super Walking Knot for sale here. Check it out.

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
Geoffrey Durham performed this effect on one of the best of magic shows shown on UK television around 1990, I'm not sure which one, but if you can get hold of it, the presentation of the effect is very good.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
If you ever get a chance to see Jay Scott Berry perform this it is great. His presentation is really good. The trick is brilliantly made by Pavel and, if you can afford it, go for the more expensive one. It allows the trick to look more impressive.

Cheers,
TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
If money and/or space are an issue, then I would recommend the Junior Walking Knot (only six feet long and also three places to move the knot). You might also want to consider another trick by Pavel, the Phenomenal Rope trick described on Steven's Magic Emporium website:

Quote:
A very long piece of rope is cut in two-leaving a long and a short piece. These are tied together. The rope is held up with the knot at the bottom. Suddenly, the knot visibly jumps from the end to the center of the rope. The knot is untied showing the rope to be cut into two equal lengths. These are tied together and now, the knot visibly jumps from the center to the upper end of the rope. The knot is untied showing two pieces of rope-one short and one long. By pulling on the ends, the two pieces of rope are seen to stretch apparently equalizing in length. There are now two separate pieces the same length. Each rope is knotted and come down linked together. The two rings are tossed into the air and come down linked together. To finish, the knots are visibly untied. Amazingly, the two rings become one long single piece, the same as at the beginning.

You can see a couple of photos of this effect on their site. I recently purchased this trick and have been looking at Pavel's video catalog to study his moves since they are smooth. Good luck!

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Walking Knot by Pavel (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL