The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Uri Geller on Israeli national tv (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
882 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Quote:
If such was the case, I would personally not sing the praises of David Blaine or Derren Brown, but I do.

There is nothing really wrong claiming you have real powers (and I agree, claiming it not directly like Blaine and Brown do is as claiming it) BUT there is much wrong in using those "powers" for causes other than entertainment. Geller does it. Many times he gave people false hope and took their money claiming he had the powers to help them. But this is again the old debate...

Nimrod , Israel
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
Nimrod, could you give some documentation to the claim that "many times he (Geller) gave people false hope and took their money claiming he has the powers to help them?"

Thanks.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
882 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Are you serious? I don't have the time to go through all the links in Randi's website so here are just two small examples:

http://www.randi.org/jr/02-27-2000.html
http://www.randi.org/jr/090701.html

You can find many, many other places on the net describing Geller's unethical deeds and industry. This man crossed the lines many years ago and has never came back.

Nimrod, Israel
eggshell
View Profile
Regular user
Chorley, England
146 Posts

Profile of eggshell
Uri Geller has done nothing for mentalism if we are looking at it as a mysterious and psychological form of magical entertainment. Uri Geller has, however, done a lot for psychics who put people in contact with dead relatives for a lot of money and other such bunkum.

At some point in mentalism acts there is a very dangerous line: if you go into your act with a knowing twinkle saying this is all just hokum really then you aren't going to have a successful act. If you go in absolutely claiming to be real then I have problems with the morality of that as there are a lot of naive people out there who could potentially be hurt. Having said that, within a show scenario then I might just buy this big white lie from a morality point of view.

Mr. Geller, however, went on "factual" TV programs and news shows claiming to have paranormal powers and I find this objectionable and immoral. Charming as he may be, I don't associate my interests in magic any way with his and I am amazed to think that people say he has influenced modern mentalism. If he has then I think I'll give it a miss.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
882 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Uri Geller was one of the strongest influence to the modern mentalism. You can't argue with that when the leading performers of our days admit that this man influenced their show.

Nimrod, Israel
Neal Roter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Neal Roter
Eggshell

Love your name and love your picture!!
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Geller is a con and wants people to believe he has special powers and then when somebody like James Randi challenges him, he runs for the hills. The less of him the better.
shahin
View Profile
New user
Germany
89 Posts

Profile of shahin
After a long time he will pop up on German television on Wednesday. I guess he will be on TV for about 20 minutes or so. For those in Germany who are interested, he will appear on "Stern TV".

Shahin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Uri Geller on Israeli national tv (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL