The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Turnover pass (face up or down) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danny
View Profile
Loyal user
England
269 Posts

Profile of danny
With this move if I start with the deck face down do I finish with it face up. I am very confused because I have been told differently every time.
Thanks in advance
Danny
:)
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Yes. Usually I start with the deck face up, then do the pass so the deck ends up face down.
ME
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
The turnover pass means that if you start face up you will finish face down. Although if you are going to do this you will need some justification for doing this. The spectator will not know why you have shown them the bottom card. Hope this helps.
La magie, c'est ma vie
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The Turnover pass is simply a pass done while turning the deck over (hence the name). It doesn't matter (unless specifically directed in the context of the routine) whether you start face up or down, but you'll always end up in the opposite position--that's the whole point of the pass. A standard motivation for this is the guise of showing that the selection is not on the top nor the bottom of the deck.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
If it's a "turnover" pass, that implies that the deck will be turned over in the process of doing the move. There are variations of the Herrmann pass, though, that don't require the deck to be turned over. Most of these are not intrinsically "invisible," though, and rely on directing a spectator's attention elsewhere as the move is being completed.

Ben Blau
Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
Another motivation for turning the deck face up is to show them, that they could have chosen any of these cards...
(I let a card be chosen out of the face down deck)
Martin
life is real magic
Card Sheister
View Profile
Regular user
Ninja
182 Posts

Profile of Card Sheister
I do this for the invisible turnover pass.. like Martin said.. although I say, "See, I didn't put your card on the bottom, it's in the middle. Not on the top either." *proceed to doublelift on the top card*

Works like a charm.
Sanj Singh
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Sanj Singh
In Michael Vincent's ace trick (I forget the name), the reds transpose from the middle of the deck to the top when doing a face up TOP. Try it, it looks great, and fools you when you do it.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
The Turnover Pass does not ALWAYS necessitate a turnover. Research Draun's Midnight Shift, J.K. Hartman's work in CardCraft, and Ken Krenzel's work among others.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Mr. Singh is already making a name for himself. Ah, the delight of reading OLD posts once again. WILL we ever hear from Mr. Singh again, other than in Secret Sessions or in Let's Make A Magic Deal, now that he has exceeded his 50 post threshold? Stay tuned!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Turnover pass (face up or down) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL