The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Opera (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Wondering how many folks here are into Opera.

Opera is something that has mostly been a auditory experience. Over the years I've collected a number of box CD sets of top operas: The Ring Cycle, Mozart, Puccini. But I'd actually only seen Opera performed a few times: Tosca at the Met, and another avant guard opera that I was given free tickets too.

But lately I've been purchasing the Met Opera's Live HD series DVD's and finally able to put the story and the visuals next to the music. It has been eye opening.

I personally find Opera the perfect music to work by. I've got Die Walkurie playing right now.

Anyone else Opera fans.

(My girlfriend can't stand opera - or should I say she likes it when she heres more commercial arias sung separately, but a full opera, forget it). For me, it takes time to adjust ones ears, but once that is done, really wonderful experience.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I can't work to opera because I find it demands my full attention. I definitely prefer live to recorded, but I am intrigued by the Met's current experiments with video.

It's a pity that many "opera fans" dislike 20th and 21st century opera; there is some fabulous theatre just waiting for a young audience to appreciate it.

Here's a bit of Alban Berg's Wozzeck, an expressionist opera from the early decades of the 20th century. To many opera lovers, it's a lot of shouting. I've introduced the music to a number of younger people who have found it to be a breath of fresh air.

Music is funny that way.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Don't watch her show....
Dennis Michael
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-02-08 14:04, Dennis Michael wrote:
Don't watch her show....

Got to hand it to you, Dennis. THAT is funny!

Bob
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
When I was young my aunt used to take me to the Met. Among the first operas I saw there was Strauss's "Der Fledermaus" and Mozart's "Die Zauberflöte." I had already begun my violin training at the time and was as fascinated as much by the orchestra as by the action on stage.

I've loved opera ever since but, sadly, don't get to see it live as often as I'd like to.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I actually was mildly in to opera as a kid, up through about high school. I generally liked classical music, because that's all my dad listened to. Then I saw the movie "Amadeus" and took an interest in some of the operas from that movie -- Marriage of Figaro, The Magic Flute, and Don Giovani.

But I'm not a hard-core opera fan. I've never seen one live... although one of these days I'd like to change that.

Here's one of my favorite arias (and perhaps among the most famous arias in opera): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvuKxL4LOqc . But I think this performance is head and shoulders above others. (The music starts at 2:10, for those who don't find German independently satisfying. Smile )

This is from The Magic Flute. The two characters in this scene are The Queen of the Night and her daughter, Pamina. In this scene, roughly, the Queen is bemoaning the fact that her husband, the King, died and left a powerful artifact to Sarastro, her enemy. In the musical part of the scene, the Queen is giving Pamina a dagger to go kill Sarastro -- and if Pamina fails to do so, then she will face the Queen's rath.

So, nice mother/daughter time. Smile
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
The Magic Flute ... my favorite opera! Over the years I've seen it 3 times, twice performed by the Met and once by the New York City Opera. It is always inspiring. By the way, there's a fabulous movie of The Magic Flute by Ingmar Bergman (with English subtitles). Well worth checking out if you're an opera lover.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I've been watching the new Ring cycle on my appletv. Visually it is amazing production. The centerpiece is this thing that became known as "the machine" , a series of long plank like things that rotate and move independently to represent everything from the rhine to the walkerie winged transport. Really stunning. If you have itunes you can rent them for about 5 bucks
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Oh the Magic Flute...when you hear a coloratura sing with all her might in that aria, its spine chilling! And Diana Damrau is one of the best there is!
Sent from my Typewriter
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
I know nothing about opera.

This summer I saw a production of a play called Master Class about Maria Callas played by a wonderful actress, Irene Glazos (sp?).

The play so affected me that I am going to start attending an opera appreciation class in March. Should be fun!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Article about the problems with the Ring set: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/arts/m......tml?_r=0

On the HD broadcast, it looked great though.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
An Opera is meely a musical. Do you know ducks?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Nope, opera is not merely a musical. A musical can have several vocal styles, in opera there is a distinct vocal style used throughout. Musical numbers in opera are divided into two styles, recitative and arias. Recitative is basically sung dialogue which moves the story forward and aria is a key emotional point. Just like opera, a musical can be without spoken dialogue, called through-sung (Les Miserables being a good example) but the vocal style makes the difference. Les Mis does have numbers in classical singing and have had opera singers in its productions but there are numbers and parts with a much more contemporary style, such as Thenardiers and "Master of the House". There are also operas that have spoken dialogue, such as The Magic Flute which is originally a singspiel, which is now regarded as a genre of opera.
Sent from my Typewriter
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Yes she is surprising, but unfortunately she will almost certainly damage her voice for good. Problem being she is self-taught, so she is doing it wrong. And in opera singing, its all about technique. When you learn it wrong, its very very hard to learn the right way. She is just too young.
Sent from my Typewriter
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I love this. "Vissi d'Arte" from Tosca. Callas is a bit past her prime, here, but the acting is great. The context is that she has just been offered a trade by the villain, Baron Scarpia: give herself to him that night, or her lover will be executed. She sings, asking God why - after all she has tried to do in her life - does He repay her in this way.

Her acting is so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLR3lSrqlww
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Opera (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL