The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Once Upon A Time.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Once upon a time when I was 9 years old, my piggy bank opened up and I had $10 to spend. I felt rich! My mommy took me to Toys R Us where I bought my first TV Magic Kit. My magic debut was memorable for all the wrong reasons. The whole family came over one night and I did the "famous" rice bowl trick on a stack table over the new white carpet in my parents living room for everyone.

To appreciate what happened next, let's just say everyone knows my mom to be a clean freak. I miscounted while turning over the rice bowls, resulting in rice and water going all over the floor with a big splat! The room went silent. Everyone immediately looked at my mom waiting for her to scream at me, and then looked at me. Without missing a beat, I stepped forward with my arms raised, shouted out "Ta-Dah!", and bowed to my shocked audience. The room erupted in laughter and my parents knew at that moment that I was destined for show business. The rest is history, as I started getting hired out for kids parties.

So what's your story? I'd love to know what got many of you started in magic, especially those of you that now make a living at this. At what age were you inspired, and what was your turning point? Was it an event, a person, or just a fluke accident that got you started?

- Gary
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Two things stand out. One was being mesmerized by a friends version of nickels to dimes.

The other was after being fooled by the phone wizard I became one

One of my first gigs was also a disaster. It was an outside show. Fear set in.
There was one person in the audience who was reAlly into the program

Thanks Dad.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1197 Posts

Profile of danfreed
There was a magic shop in an out of the way spot on the top floor of a mall (Richmaond mall in Cleveland). I used to frequently go there. I couldn't really afford much, except for a few gag items, but I loved the atmosphere. One of the owners or managers was Manny Sperling, and he was the dad of a girl in my elementary school class that I was friends with. he did a few shows that I still remember. I never did anything with magic till I started booking other caricature artists, which turned into an agency that booked everything. I thought I would be as good or better at clowning than the people I was bookinging, and things eveolved from there. I stopped clowning a long time ago and now here I am.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My mother bought me Marshal Brodien's magic set when I was 12. Everything fell in place from there.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have no idea how I got interested. I suspect it is genetic, as my great grand uncle was billed as 'The Funniest Man on Earth', and highly influential in the development of British Panto.

I was seven when I did my first show. It was my birthday. I got a friend to hide under a coffee table which had gaps in it, for a glass top. We removed the glass top, and replaced it with a table cloth. I cut a slit in the table cloth, and my friend hid under the table with a teddy bear rabbit. During the performance I put my dad's hat on the table, waved my hands, and produced the rabbit. Everyone was impressed, until my mum saw the table cloth!

Within a year or two I was doing the occasional puppet show in the garage, and charging a penny in. And every talent show, scout show, school show, etc. I did magic. It became a tradition in my family that every Stephen's Day (Dec 26) I would do a twenty minute performance. All home-made stuff; no store bought props ever. Loved those days.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
A box of Cracker Jacks with a paddle trick inside as a prize got me started.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-02-09 08:04, Eldon wrote:
A box of Cracker Jacks with a paddle trick inside as a prize got me started.

LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Once Upon A Time.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.69 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL