The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wrongly named bands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Back in the 70's I was sitting down to watch "Saturday Night Live." Don Pardo announced, "Musical guest, "The Roaches!"" I had never hear d of them, but that name instantly said "Punk" band. Boy was that wrong. The Roaches got thier name from, their name. "Roach" The Roaches are a mother/daughter acapella band, singing gospal style music. While I did not care for them, they were quite good, keeping beautiful harmonies going through the songs. So I am thinking, lets come up with some band names that instantly tell you what kind of music you are going to hear. List the name, following by the style of music they would make. Here is what I mean.

Burst Appendix - Punk
Hill Mountain Valley - Blue Grass or Country
Electronic Nightmare - Techno
Concubine Legs - Girl rock band

etc.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Hmm.. Are you sure you are not thinking about Th Roaches, the famous sister trio (although they were a duo at one time)? Absolutely brilliant , suzzy roache sang on the Oh Brother Where Are thou. Sound track? She is also the wife of Louden Wainwrite (sp?).

Hear the are performing one of their hits. ( they also wrote Oh, the Married Men.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL9299B6......ure=plpp
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Btw there names are Maggy, Terry, and Suzzy Roache. The did a christmas album that plays in my house every year
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Could have been them, but there were only two on stage at that time.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Two of the sisters were a duo for ten years and put out an album in the late 70's early 80's. Suzzy joined them later. And their brother joined them for a short time. Suzzy is the mother of Lucy Wainwright who has a career in her own right. It is a family that also includes the McGarrigal sisters, louden wainwright III and Rufus Wainwright. The Roaches first trio album was in my opinion on of the best of the decade
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I can't find it on youtube, but my first exposure to The Roaches was a segment on either Animaniacs or Tiny Toon Adventures where they played a trio of singing cockroaches traveling in a windup car to their next gig! I thought the whole thing was a joke until I saw in the credits that "The Roaches" actually played the roaches! Maybe it was a pilot for a series (a'la The Beatles, The Jackson 5, The Osmonds and *sigh* Hammerman) that never happened. Pity, it would have been better than Hammerman. But then, watching the Blue Screen of Death was better than Hammerman.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
One of my all time favorite country groups were The Statler Brothers. Funny thing was none of them had the last name Statler. 2 are brothers, Harold and Don Reid. Could never figure that out.
Bob.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
They named themselves after a box of tissues they saw in a hotel room....lol They went by the kingsmen until another band called the kingsmen became famous. I watched the A&E Bio on them.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
The bass player in one of my bands was a avid hunter. He had a stack of dried squirrel skins in his garage. They became the inspiration for the band name we were looking for. "Road Kill"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2014-02-09 09:10, w_s_anderson wrote:
They named themselves after a box of tissues they saw in a hotel room....lol They went by the kingsmen until another band called the kingsmen became famous. I watched the A&E Bio on them.

There used to be a famous hotel in NYC called the Statler Hilton. I wonder if it had anything to do with that?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Here is one list of actual band names. Some of them had me busting out laughing.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/quotes/funnyband.html

However, my vote for one of the most perfectly suited band names... Metallica.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6761 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Morbid Angel- Death Metal
Darkthrone- Black Metal
The Foggy Hoggtown Boys- Bluegrass
Platinum Blonde- Hair/Glam Metal
Black Sabbath- Doom Metal
Sun O - Drone Metal
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats- Stoner Metal
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The most unusual band name I have ever heard:

"Hamburger With Doodoo As the Meat"

It was among a few bands listed as playing at a local event. The radio show guy read the list. It got a big laugh, to say the least.

Oh, I don't know what kind of music they play.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wrongly named bands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL