The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » "I know that trick!" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Spatula545
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Spatula545
I have had a lot of trouble with this during kids parties. They always call out "I know that trick!" What is a snappy answer to it?
12 pennies stacked equals the hight of a dime.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Here's one, "Do you, perhaps you can perform it for me?"

It always shuts them up.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I usually ignore them; pretend I haven't heard. The other children don't hear, and the first they know of the comment is for you to stop and start having a talk with one of the children.

I have been pushed by older teenagers and my normal reply is, "Come and show me after the show is over."

Just take it very low key, don't get involved in talking to individual children, don't argue or show the child up.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
This statement comes from adults as well. My response depends entirely upon my mood. My answers may range from, "Well, we will see about that" to "No, you don't! Now, shut up and pay attention." The latter line is used seldom, but when it is used it garners laughs from the rest of the group.

The statement "I know this trick" also seems to follow instantly behind my command of, "Select a card" to which I then proceed as intended, but adding the line, "Oh, well, then I will do a different one." Smile
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
With kids, I generally ignore that but I draw back (if necessary) the attention upon what is happening. Usually, even if they expect what is going to happen, they open their eyes (and mouths) very big when it actually happens.

When you ask two of them to sit on five cards and make magical gesture from one to the other, it's quite understandable if one of the audience members says, "I know, I know..." Let it go or, maybe, you can add to that, "Yes, I think, now, everybody begin to realize what is happening right now..." You will make them enjoy the suspense.

J.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2004-01-04 17:13, Daren wrote:
Here's one, "Do you, perhaps you can perform it for me?"

It always shuts them up.

I don't like this response because sometimes they will try to do it and mess up or just reveal the secret.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Re: They always call out "I know that trick!" What is a snappy answer to it?

How do you elicit that response from your audience?

What would you gain from providing a "snappy answer" to that interruption?

What would happen if you said to that person: "Good for you, would you let me know if I do it well?"
...to all the coins I've dropped here
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
Johnathan, I love your advice on this line that can make some magicians shudder. I have my own little piece on it that, being a children's magician for 10 years has always served me well:

They say, "I know that trick!"

I respond with a small smile, "That's because you have magic inside you." I then open up to the whole group and continue, "AS do you all! And I'm going to prove it by having you help me with this.." and I continue with the show. Its a fluid movement back to the show and it connects the entire audience of children.

With adults, I don't get it often. But when I do, for my character is different. It also often comes after I ask them to select a card.

They say, "I know this trick"
and I respond, "I doubt you do. But I'm willing to prove it to you."
Now for some, this sets up a challenge and many magicians don't like challenges being so open but, considering I don't do any standard card location effects, I'm %99 correct in my statement and they get entertained. the %1, by the time I'm done, don't remember they verbal play by the end anyway because of everything that has happened in between.

Its all about your character and your approach. But do as thou wilt.

-Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Malak writes: "They say, "I know that trick!"

I respond with a small smile, "That's because you have magic inside you." I then open up to the whole group and continue, "AS do you all! And I'm going to prove it by having you help me with this.." and I continue with the show."

What a wonderful reply! Just great!

This ends the debate with the audience and gets them on your side at the same time.

Until I read that, I would just ignore the person shouting; that was usually enough.

But now, with Daniel's permission, I'm going to use that!
Drummer-inc
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Drummer-inc
I sometimes respond with
"So do I"
Fon
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
200 Posts

Profile of Fon
Great thread, and some great responses,

Iv learned a so much from only a few replies,

Thank you,

Fon
Always thinking..........?
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Yes, there's some good stuff here.

I know a guy who does local shows for YMCA Camp, Youth Centers, etc. He carries a book called "Magic for Dummies" (printed in huge type on the cover)with him, and when he get's a spectator that claims to know the effect, he pulls out the book and says something like, "Of course you do, it's right here on page 26... but I do it a different way...." Seems to work for him, because last I knew, he still carries it with him.

I react differently each time this happens, but my primary response is to use the "... watch closely and tell me if I do it right..." approach. That seems to keep the ball rolling nicely for me.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
235 Posts

Profile of avimagic
I usually ignore, but when it gets repetitive I usually look the kid in the eyes with a slight wink, almost like he's in on the act, and say, "Great. So it'll be our secret, OK?"

And I LOVE Malak's response!

But remember this: I have found that a lot of the times when kids say they know a trick, they are not claiming to know the secret. Just the outcome. E.G., "I know that trick! You're going to pour the milk into the newspaper and then it's going to disappear."

Avi
dacsus65
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
16 Posts

Profile of dacsus65
Quote:
On 2004-05-12 19:30, avimagic wrote:

But remember this: I have found that a lot of the times when kids say they know a trick, they are not claiming to know the secret. Just the outcome. E.G., "I know that trick! You're going to pour the milk into the newspaper and then it's going to disappear."

Avi

I agree, although I've only 'performed' a few times for my children and their friends, there's always one kid 'who knows'. Mostly it is either someone trying to show off (and doesn't know) or someone who has seen the illusion before (as Avi said).

Cheers,
David
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It helps to do tricks that offer surprising plot twists. It would be interesting to take the milk pitcher in an odd direction. I tend to lose it with the trick when the performer makes a cone out of a newspaper. That is a bit strange to start with.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Once, after I asked him to pick a card, an 8-year-old said those exact words.

Ask them to explain how to do it to you because you forgot.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Silly billy says:
Kids are just familrizing themseves with the prop ie a piece of rope, when they say I know that one say ok I will do another trick than the one I was gonna do, and proceed.
Matt
Sergeant
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of Sergeant
As Dpe666 stated I usually get this response from adults right after I ask them to select a card.

Remembering that for the most part people are not trying to mess you up, but are simply excited that they might know something about this little know art called magic. So many times I respond with . .

Really, Oh my God, well, don't tell me what happens because this is the first time I have tried this trick!

or

No way, I just bought this trick from a guy who said he has never shown anyone this trick before. I hope he wasn't lying!

or

Get out, really? . . . no really get out... so you don't spoil the ending. <Pause> I can't believe you are still here . . . Ok you can stay as long as you do the secret magician's hand shake and promise to reveal nothing. <offer Hand> then roll with it and have fun... usually everyone is laughing by this time.

or

Damn . . . now I have to kill you. <searching clothing and pockets> I can't believe I forgot my crossbow . .again. Well, buddy this is your lucky day. However, if you promise not to tell the ending I will forget this whole conversation happened.

Pick the appropriate one for your venue and character

Sergeant
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
Whenever I heard that comment (many times) I asked myself if my magic wasn't perhaps too standarized. If I could personalize my magic more, it would be less comparable to whatever trick the audience saw before. Maybe. Let's take music genres as example. If someone who doesn't particularly like music listens to a blues song by B.B King, then one by Albert King, then one by Freddie King, that person will probably say that not only did they know that last song, but it was also the same performer. At any rate, I'm taking all the advice given above.

federico
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
With kids, if they say that they either "know that trick" or "have seen that trick" I tell them to close their eyes & cover their ears while I do it for everyone else. They tend to shut up and do what I told them to.

Cheers,
TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » "I know that trick!" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL