The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Manipulation cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mago verza
View Profile
Regular user
kanagawa - japan
103 Posts

Profile of mago verza
I know it can sounds a strange question but for practise manipulation it's a good idea to use regular pocker size (not the thin ones but just the standard ones) cards without powder or wax or any sort of preparation?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It depends on your weather climate, humidity, barometric pressure, and atmosphere.

Practice with the cards you plan to use, you have to learn the characteristics and feel of the cards.

It all depends if you have been doing any fan productions already.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I agree with Bill that you should practice with the cards that you plan to use.

Having said that, there seem to be two parts to Mago's question:
1) poker size versus bridge size cards (since the term "regular poker size" is used in the question)
and
2) cards without powder or wax or any sort of preparation (i.e. untreated cards)

In answer to the first question, I prefer bridge size rather than poker because they have slightly more "spring" to them when they're produced from the b*ckp*lm. This may be the reason why most of the cards sold specifically for manipulation/card fan production, etc are bridge-sized, like the Nielsen cards. I think the Lance Burton manipulation deck shown at
http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......s_id/611
is bridge-size also. However, for spring flourishes (springing from hand to hand, waterfall drop, armspreads) I prefer poker size.

Keep in mind, too, that the quality and make/brand of cards is also critical. Personally I find the new finish on Bicycle cards too stiff and slippery for manipulation. I much prefer Aviator cards over Bicycle. The Aviator cards might not last as long, but they feel better to me when doing spring flourishes.

Most fanning decks are bridge-size. Once in a while you might find a poker-size fanning deck, but I feel they are rare. The Cardini Peau Doux cards were bridge-sized, as were the Unique Studios cards that were used by many pros in the 60's and 70's like the Joe Cossari fanning deck. The Harry Anderson fanning deck, the Piatnik fanning deck favored by Magic Christian (and many others) are also bridge-size.

In answer to the second question, I prefer to use fanning powder for card productions. The powder is quicker/easier to apply and touch up than wax and generally gives better results (at least for me) than the wax. I find wax better for exhibition card fans, but for productions (split fans and singles) the fanning powder is what I use.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Manipulation cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL