The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How do you keep your Props in order at home? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Geoff Ray
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Geoff Ray
I have a big closet with most of my stuff in, and a bookcase for my books and DVDs. I also have decks and books and other little things like coins lying around to practice with when I come across them. I usually have to have a sort out every month or so of my closet as it is such a mess! Smile
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
Our formal lounge room contains all my sentimental favourites and my custom made magic box sits in the corner - it always gets a comment and the request for a magic show. I try to sell anything I no longer use or give it away to younger magicians if they show they can perform the effect well.

Then there are two hard cased suitcases sitting in the shed, full of solid foam with cutouts for all tricks that I currently do not perform but intend to in the future. I tend to cycle my tricks to keep variety in my show. I have a large library of books and DVDs. Any videos I have copied to VCD format or sold the video and bought the DVD, this is becoming easier now.

My favourite videos also sit on my laptop in MPEG format, great for plane travel or late at night in a hotel far from home. All my instructions, articles and effects are stored in an Access database, I scan and store the words and throw the paper version away.

All my large props "pack flat" and sit on shelves in the shed. These days I can carry my whole show in my jacket and trousers or one box for the kids shows.

Every item is stored in a zip locked bag or cloth bag to protect it.
bob maget
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of bob maget
In my den, I have my animals on one half and my tricks in big wood cabinets. You can easily get them at Goodwill. Hope that helps. Bob
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
13 years ago, my wife had a big black trunk built for me. It's got three drawers in it, in which I divide up coins, cards, and other, along with the huge main area for storage. I call it my Magic Trunk (remember Mr. Dressup with his Tickle Trunk?).

Someday one of my kids will inherit it and become a world famous magician, or become independently wealthy after selling it all on ebay! Smile

Brian
markkwan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of markkwan
Shelves on my computer room. Almost time to buy a new shelf.
What good is a night, when you can't break it.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I went to Walmart and in the tool section they had small drawers for holding tools...
I bought both large drawers, and little drawers.

The large drawers hold 4 decks of cards a piece. The little ones hold coins and other small things.

I then printed out little mailing labels with the props name so each drawer has the name of the prop that’s inside it. So everything is easy to find!!

Good Luck
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
I've got a trunk (for chains/straitjackets/juggling gear), a flightcase (handcuffs/padlocks), and a high shelf for everything else (assorted magic stuff).

In the garage I store unicycle and stage illusions.

The biggest problem is keeping the children away from the stuff.

James.
magicpro
View Profile
New user
montreal
51 Posts

Profile of magicpro
I am a high school student and I am currently taking a shop class. I have built a 2 dresser storage unit, just for my magic to store in my crawl space, and I have a night table beside my bed that stores all my close up, stuff. But I still don't have enough room. But those 3 things helped a lot, go out and buy one or make one like me, it will help.

Thank you and God bless
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
Faced with a growing amount of magic and books (it's not a collection - I swear!), I either had to get rid of some of the junk or build a garage.

The garage is almost done.
Plato986
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Plato986
My dad used to keep it all in the attic..Pretty spooky if you didn't know what was going on.
-Plato986 (that's me)
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
I don't Smile
I'm so messy.

Well, the gimmicks I use I do actually keep safe and sound in a closet.
Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Keep my props in order? BE REAL!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I'm lucky enough to have two rooms practically all to myself even though I'm still a kid, as I'm the only kid in my house (my older sister is grown and lives away from home). So, I have plenty of room to store my magic stuff and I don't have to worry about others going through it.

I have a big walk-in closet in my room with plenty of shelf space. This is where I keep most of my magic magazines and books (other than the ones scattered around my room that I'm currently reading). I categorize the books by different areas of magic (coins, cards, general close-up, historical, etc.) and they are are alphabetized witihin each category. I have my magazines in chronological order.

I do mainly close-up, so I don't have bulky props that take up a lot of space and I have room for most props in my closet. However, I do keep a lot of them at my practice area and I have decks of cards in various places around my house (though my parents get on my back about that).

Then I keep my videos and DVDs in another room near my TV. I don't have too many of them yet, but I'm sure my collection will grow and then I will have to start organizing them.

My friends say I'm too organized, but I suppose I just like knowing where everything is. And I do have to reorganize things every few months or so, as nothing stays organized for long!

Emily B.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'm adding my stuff into a dumpster Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
WarlockDrummer
View Profile
New user
Chicago (Evanston)
21 Posts

Profile of WarlockDrummer
I have a Chinese armoire (similar to a map cabinet, but with various sized, but many, drawers and cubbies). Add to that 2 bookcases, and 4 briefcases (3 for tricks, 1 for instructions).
!WD!

"80% of life is showing up."--Woody Allen

"That's how the world will end, not with a bang, but with a whimper."--t. s. elliot
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I'm lucky enough to have a three bedroom house and a daughter that grew up and got married. One spare bedroom acts as mama's sewing room and other as my office/magic room.

I use several bookcase units to hold my magic book collection and all of my props. When I can clear out the center of the room I have a rehearsal area. Rehearsals usually take place in the living room when my wife is not away as she doesn't like it when my magic spills out of the official confines of my magic room. Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
I've got a large Rubbermaid container for holding my closeup stuff. Books are on one shelf of a large bookcase, along with my journals. Rocky is in his own box that says "Man Eating Raccoon!" Smile
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I am also one blessed with a wife who let me turn a spare room into my magic den.

All my close up is stored in a huge multidrawer tool/tackle box.

I have a glass-fronted bookcase (I think they were called a pharmacist or barrister case) for my magic books and videos and next week I am getting new (bigger) storage cupboard for bigger stuff like my stage magic and clown props.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
I have all my magic in plastic containers that have six drawers in each. They are on rollers and I have labeled on the front each item so I can go right to it!

Boy, am I organized or what!

My wife had said, either me or the magic! The divorce was final six months ago!!! Smile
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
IKEA is my friend in this capacity. They have really nice birch multi-drawer cube units that run about $14 and have the added bonus of looking pretty decent.

I'm one of those "I have a room for this stuff" people, that room being my office. Post-IKEA-rampage, I've taken to sorting the somewhat terrifying number of tricks and apparati into separate drawers, labelling each one with a bit of masking tape.

These cubes are sitting on top of a "storage coffee table," which is a good place to house the videos and larger-scale illusions I have.

I guess the bottom line is this: it doesn't matter how you keep things organized, but rather that you keep 'em organized at all!
---
Who let this Legare guy in here?
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How do you keep your Props in order at home? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL