The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Selling Original Illusion Designs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Hi everyone,

How was your New Years?

Well lately I've been talking to a few people about selling orignal illusion designs. I thought I would post this to get everyones view. I hope you can help.

If I was to sell an idea a 'Non-Disclosure Agreement' would be signed before hand. The items being sold would be:

- Full size plans (possible computer mockups too)
- Performance rights document
- Scale model (working)

Is this all that needs to be included? Is there anything I have missed out? Is any of it unnecessary?

Thanks for your time,

Mike J Rogers Smile
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Here is an addition that might like to add:

I personally OWN the physical illusion that THEY build. This way, I have recourse and I can call it back at any time if they abuse the contract. Like your contract, They have building and performance rights.

Also, in my particular case, I have a strict control on what may NOT happen onstage during it's performance. (Absolutely No dancing! This is to keep the thing performed slowly and realistically and at its dramatic maximum impact.)

I have little experience in the subject, but the 'I own it' clause may be on interest to you.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
That is a great and appropriate concept. It turns an intellectual property into a pure bailment. Ultimately it makes any rights time sensitive.

I like it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Whats worked for my company, Adamant Design & Fabrication is many things including the following:

Non disclosure
3D & Digitally Animated concepts & Mockups.
Agreement to build ONE or TWO props in question (EVER)
Full production services (light, sound, design, graphics, animatronics and so-on) LIFETIME support of the concept. Full controll who sells those built props. The client cant sell them to online entities.(ebay, magic auction etc...) Has to sell it BACK to you, then you sell it to quarintene who gets the prop, to be sure it dosent end up in the hands of some knock off builder. There are some other things but just an idea of what were doing.

R.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Selling Original Illusion Designs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.62 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL