The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Haunted Prelude by Rick Lax (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
If you do any kind of "haunted" card tricks, this is the perfect opener. It's also just a brilliant way to get a small group to gather around a pack of cards and have each of them FEEL the magic happening. Really sweet, memorable.. AND CREEPY.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4017
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
This looks really good! Love haunted effects. I wonder how practical it is?

-Alex
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 13:54, puffinmonkey wrote:
This looks really good! Love haunted effects. I wonder how practical it is?

-Alex

More setup than my previous 2 penguin releases: Chi Card and Binary Code--trying to be straight with you here. But the plus side of Haunted Prelude is the reactions...of all the tricks I've filmed...nothing, in person, has gotten a stronger reaction. When that deck came off the table...it was an awesome, awesome moment.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Ah, here's a RAW, UNCUT performance of my original Haunted Prelude handling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCZ2xJo-H7A

This was shot by Flom or Bizzaro at the diner in the Tuscany. The video quality and music is rough...but you can see the first version of the trick, stripped way down. (No spectators, no cuts, etc...)

-Rick
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Rick,

Looks good. Actually, the youtube vid (off your knee) looks great.

Of course, the real reason for doing it is to elicit reactions.

Might spring for this tomorrow (when I have more time).
I keep buying stuff but don't get around it practicing & developing them.

Like I have your Detach but haven't practiced yet.

That's alright - keep 'em comin' - it's good for our art!
Mark8infiniti
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Mark8infiniti
Hi Rick,

Big fan, but I just don't get this? I'm only watching it on a tiny phone screen, but doesn't it just look to people like you're pushing the deck yourself? Is this gimmick based that you have to make? Just don't get it at the moment.
iNFiNiTi | The Red Pill Magician | SHOCK NOT IMPRESS
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 14:36, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
Hi Rick,

Big fan, but I just don't get this? I'm only watching it on a tiny phone screen, but doesn't it just look to people like you're pushing the deck yourself? Is this gimmick based that you have to make? Just don't get it at the moment.

You can have a moment where your fingers are off the deck and it's moving. But the real effect is that the deck goes off the table and remains suspended. And yes, gimmick involved. Something that you can make for under $5 and a quick trip to Wal-Mart. Easy gimmick.

Here's a video where you can more clearly see the effect:

(Originally presented as an Invisible Shelf.)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
As an invisible shelf, I get it...

but a psuedo-spiritualism effect, of planchette moving - I think doing it with a deck of cards to be somewhat odd...

there's no gimmickry needed for the deck movement across the table, the invisible shelf bit - I don't know what gimmick is being used, but I'd say its much like a mini version of the table-lifting set-up (a gimmicked one I mean)...
I've asked to be banned
phillipsart
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
310 Posts

Profile of phillipsart
Rick, Are the parts required to make the gimmick readily available in Australia? We don't have Walmarts here.
msukairi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of msukairi
Hi Rick,

Can they examine the box directly ?

regards.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 14:39, ricklaxmagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 14:36, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
Hi Rick,

You can have a moment where your fingers are off the deck and it's moving. But the real effect is that the deck goes off the table and remains suspended. And yes, gimmick involved. Something that you can make for under $5 and a quick trip to Wal-Mart. Easy gimmick.

Here's a video where you can more clearly see the effect:

(Originally presented as an Invisible Shelf.)

Would I be correct in presuming that while you can take your fingers off the box, you can't actually move your hands away?

Is the gimmick the same as used in that video from November of 2012?

Can this be performed in well lit conditions? Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I notice that even in the earlier video, where there is much more light than in the trailer, it's a fairly dark background / floor.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
This is one of the first times I've purchased a rick lax effect that I didn't like.

It's a pretty complicated setup and quite a bit of work for the effect in my mind. There is a clothin requirement which I didn't see mentioned. This fact alone makes it almost impossible for my to use.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 16:10, Magic.Maddy wrote:
It's a pretty complicated setup and quite a bit of work for the effect in my mind. There is a clothin requirement which I didn't see mentioned. This fact alone makes it almost impossible for my to use.

to be honest, even a tiny amount of knowledge of how mentalism came about will give you a method to do all of this..and the gimmick would be dead simple to set up/use...but clothing restriction would apply to that too...
I've asked to be banned
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 16:35, IAIN wrote:
Quote:

to be honest, even a tiny amount of knowledge of how mentalism came about will give you a method to do all of this..and the gimmick would be dead simple to set up/use...but clothing restriction would apply to that too...

I had an idea of how it worked, but wanted to see the method Rick used.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 16:35, IAIN wrote:
Quote:

I had an idea of how it worked, but wanted to see the method Rick used.

Btw, this could easily be done with a borrowed deck. Everything can be completely examined at the end so that's good!
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 15:15, phillipsart wrote:
Rick, Are the parts required to make the gimmick readily available in Australia? We don't have Walmarts here.

I'm 99% sure you'd be able to make this in Australia. Bu tif you purchase and you're unable, contact me and I'll refund your money. Smile
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 15:27, msukairi wrote:
Hi Rick,

Can they examine the box directly ?

regards.

Yep.
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
894 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
I do really like the way this looks. Nice work RIck.

Sf
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Would go great with STC the card being the ghost.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Is the audio out of sync for everyone else too?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Haunted Prelude by Rick Lax (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL