The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed o; nails question.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Hello everyone. wanted to get your opinions on the right size for a bed of nails. I have seen some small square and some that were longer. what are your opinions on the right size. Thanks in advance.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
First, everybody will have a different opinion.

Their are two measurements for the nail. One is from the bottom of your buttocks to the top of your shoulders. The other is the width of your body.

This will give you maximal support when you have somebody stand on you. It also doesn't allow space for them to step on the nails accidentally, when they get off.

People will also discuss the density of distribution of the nails, and this is something you learn from experience. For a beginner, I recommend a 1" grid.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
555 Posts

Profile of Circusman
I agree with the above.

Also, it's a good idea to use a smaller nail near the right shoulder bone at the back. This will leave a bigger impression from the surrounding nails, and will make it look more 'painful' than it actually is.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Bobby.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Thanks guys. The one I made is 20 inches by 32 inches with 1 inch grid and using 6 inch galvanized nails. Gutter Nails I think they are. That man of those nails in the bed that size is a heavy piece. That is why I wondered if it had to be so big. I though I have seen it done by Jim Rose and others with a much shorter bed. One that did not extend down under the buttocks. I am guessing those shorter ones offer less support. Thanks again guys.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I wouldn't have used galvanized. When you get cut, it takes longer to heal.

Length: consider that my full-sized bed is six feet long, but I haven't used it quite the way most people do. Having even support is very important when you do weight stunts.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Really. I did not know that it makes it take longer to heal. That is a helpful bit of info. Thanks. I am fairly new to this stuff. I am a mind reader and built this bed years ago but never did anything with it. How ever I am putting together a sideshow act now as part of a show this spring. I have done glass walking with great success. Now putting the nails together. All this info is very helpful thank you.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
555 Posts

Profile of Circusman
The one I had was small(ish). It went from my waist to my shoulders and was quite 'comfortable' at that size.

Bobby.
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
I use a large (5 ft) bed. I have many times wished for a smaller one, but it's just so intimidating that it's hard to cut down.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Thank you guys. I finished making it yesterday. It actually turned out pretty good.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
FriarShaun
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
81 Posts

Profile of FriarShaun
I don't know your application, but I made one about 2' x 3' but used really large nails. It looks cool but it is crazy heavy. I first tried the nails at 2" centers and was glad no one was there to watch me try and get off it. So I also opted for 1". I slightly dulled the tips. Dropping an apple or water bottle is convincing enough that they are sharp. Or just have people lay their hand on top. The hand is very sensitive and the nails feel much sharper than they do on your back. One other tip. I would make handles that allow you to lift it easily off the pavement, concrete, floor. etc. Oh I also used the rustiest nails around the perimeter to make it look more menacing. I made mine with pegboard and fence spikes and it worked perfect. Next project, a broken glass set.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed o; nails question.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL