The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » I saw an effect by Criss Angel that I could use... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wesley
View Profile
New user
Sheffield U.K
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley
I was watching Criss angel on TV the other night and he got a fairly big guy to stand face to face with him and asked him to push him. Criss stumbled backwards as expected. He then asked the spectator to do it again, and this time Criss didn't move. More and more people started pushing but they couldn't move him. Is there a trick to this or is it all physics???
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
It is a physical trick based on the deflection or "misdirection" of the applied force. Whole acts have been performed using these principles since the twenties, most notably "The Georgia Wonder" and "The Georgia Magnet." Currently Brian Gillis and Sisupahn perform an act of this kind as part of their mentalism performance.

It is a principle often used by Aikido masters to demonstrate their uncanny mastery of "Chi." They actually use a similar application of a small force to a larger force and the maintenance of balance and a low center of gravity as they shift the direction of the force applied against them.

This works even when being attacked by more than one person. Four to six assailants can grip the Aikido master in many different places, yet when he moves, all are thrown instantly and violently to the floor.
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
I'm puzzled; why would you want to perform this in a restaurant? Smile
Wesley
View Profile
New user
Sheffield U.K
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley
Quote:
On 2004-01-05 02:42, invalidity wrote:
I'm puzzled, why would you want to perform this in a restaurant? Smile

Who said I work in a restaurant? I work the queue of a night club where I have many standing spectators....

Whithaydn - Sorry I sent you a PM by accident...I was replying to this post and hit the wrong button...!!!
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I was going to mention the Georgia Wonder. In fact, David Blaine talks about this in his newest book. I would check it out.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you look in the current issue of Genii you will see a photo I shot of Brian Gillis and his wife doing the Georgia Magnet act.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1802 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
My cousin, who is an ex-magician, and former Aikido student, showed this me some time ago and I was blown away. There simply was no way I could move him! He also taught me some of the basics.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
A couple of other martial arts styles also do this...
On this being performed by Aikidokas, I've seen footage of Steven Seagal himself doing this... Though it was a younger Seagal from the 70's I think, what with the big side-burns and all... Smile

This reminds me of the saying, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything..."

I don't know why, it just does...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Is there any where I can learn this.....Does Blaine's book go into detail about it, including the method?
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » I saw an effect by Criss Angel that I could use... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL