The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Open Billet Box by Steve Pellegrino (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Hi all,
Reagarding obtaining the proper box. I live in Sweden, so maybe they aren't around.
But my wife currently works in Seattle, WA. So, while there, maybe she could buy one for me before returning to Sweden.
Any help on this is appreciated.
Best wishes,
Peter Gröning
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Peter, I am looking forward to see and meet you in person soon again Smile! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Hi Jan!
Me too. It has been far to long. I am very much looking forward to MindSummit, not to mention meeting you again.
Take care,
Peter
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Just got both PDF's & this is ideal...almost exactly along the lines I've been toying with for a basket style but far more practical! Just have to find the required boxes in the UK.
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Quote:
On May 29, 2014, Peter Gröning wrote:
Hi all,
Reagarding obtaining the proper box. I live in Sweden,
But my wife currently works in Seattle, WA. So, while there, maybe she could buy one for me before returning to Sweden.
Any help on this is appreciated.
Best wishes,
Peter Gröning

YOu might have her try Walmart and Target stores and the various Office supply stores such as Office Depot and Staples.

She could also try Amazon and have them shipped to her. They're cheap, so get a couple sets so you'll have backups.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of eric50
Yes I have 6 of them I got from amazon, they come in two sizes...and different colors
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
The exact model (closetmaid 784) available in the UK for £7.49 including 20% Tax.

http://www.organisemyhome.com/
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Are there any videos of this in action without giving away the secret? The only billet box I'm familiar with is in 13 Steps. I've been using a double w***ed envelope! but would like something that appears more fair. Any other information out there?
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of eric50
There is nothing to really see you have a 12x12 empty cloth box that comes in black and other colors...people drop the slips of paper in it and the dirty work is done in a spilt second and then you go on with the reveal(s)
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
When you say reveals- are you revealing info they've actually written or is this used for another purpose? I'm trying to be vague because this forum is open, so please feel Fred to PM me rather than post if more appropriate.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2014, twistedace wrote:
Are there any videos of this in action without giving away the secret? The only billet box I'm familiar with is in 13 Steps. I've been using a double w***ed envelope! but would like something that appears more fair. Any other information out there?

twister,

The envelope works fine, but I believe that you'll like this. I put it in my show and am very pleased. The pdf is cheap enough, it is a DIY that anyone can do and the materials are inexpensive.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Does anyone know if this can be preloaded & assembled in front of the audience like Luca Volpe's TBC OM/Q&A Box?
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2014, Suffolk wrote:
Does anyone know if this can be preloaded & assembled in front of the audience like Luca Volpe's TBC OM/Q&A Box?

It starts preloaded. The box isn't designed to start flat and then be opened up in front of the audience, but it would certainly be possible to do that with the larger size box (about 12 inches square). If you read the manuscript it's pretty obvious what the handling would be - the base would just be dropped into position as you opened up the box. I'm not sure that it adds anything over starting with an open and clearly empty box, though.

With the smaller sized box, it would be harder to start with it flat. The smaller size box isn't square and the base would be against the side that needed to fold. You might be able to work out a handling, but it would be more hassle and look like you were "doing something" as you assembled the box.
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2014, Caliban wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2014, Suffolk wrote:

It starts preloaded. The box isn't designed to start flat and then be opened up in front of the audience, but it would certainly be possible to do that with the larger size box (about 12 inches square). If you read the manuscript it's pretty obvious what the handling would be - the base would just be dropped into position as you opened up the box. I'm not sure that it adds anything over starting with an open and clearly empty box, though.

With the smaller sized box, it would be harder to start with it flat. The smaller size box isn't square and the base would be against the side that needed to fold. You might be able to work out a handling, but it would be more hassle and look like you were "doing something" as you assembled the box.

Cheers. I've ordered two of both sizes of box so I'll have a play and see.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
I purchased both Steve Pellegrino's 'Open Billet Box' and his 'Open Billet Box Q&A Edition' and am very pleased with them. The instructions are very clear and well illustrated with photos. As others have pointed out, the construction of the actual box is super-simple and easy to do.

Particularly liked the bonus chapter with the 'Q&A Edition' which details how to use a clear clip board that allows you to read the thoughts of your spectators while your audience sees nothing from the front or back of the clipboard. Very clever idea here, and one I've not read before.
Gregor Von G.
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Gregor Von G.
Hi there
Just purchased the pdf, great idea!!!
For those who live in Europe and wants to make exactly the same box,
there's a distributor of the brand
in U.K (just write name of the brand.uk), so the shipping prices will be lower than the USA ones.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
This is fantastic, I picked up the PDF and the Q&A version plus 2 of the large and 2 of the small boxes for around 35 quid in total. Both sizes work perfectly.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Just to say - I've been using this on stage since last August and it's great.
Over 60 performances with it.
My only advice would be to be very careful about making sure all the billets are back near the hinge side before switching as on two occasions I've had a couple of the "wrong" billets end up still in the open section post switch.
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Good tip, Doug.

The only issue I had is that some of the billets would crimp and not fall neatly so you have to use a fairly soft paper. Index cards, for example, wouldn't work too well.
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
I use 2 inch by 3 inch 160 gsm card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Open Billet Box by Steve Pellegrino (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL