The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Please Help . . A New Street hypnotist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
One of the things that frustrates me the most about hypnosis is not knowing why it works. I have an idea, but I still don't have a Grand Unifying Theory of Hypnotic Phenomena in my mind I can always fall back on (despite my research and attempts at trying).

However, I went out last night and tried all the stuff from Reality Is Plastic and Trilby. It just works. It's actually insane how well it just works.

Maybe I'll never know why it works. That's part of the mystery I guess. But if you do it, it works. Just know that.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2014, bumbleface wrote:
One of the things that frustrates me the most about hypnosis is not knowing why it works. I have an idea, but I still don't have a Grand Unifying Theory of Hypnotic Phenomena in my mind I can always fall back on (despite my research and attempts at trying).

However, I went out last night and tried all the stuff from Reality Is Plastic and Trilby. It just works. It's actually insane how well it just works.

Maybe I'll never know why it works. That's part of the mystery I guess. But if you do it, it works. Just know that.

With magic we very rarely perform anything that we cannot explain to ourselves. Apart from perhaps a complicated self working trick we mostly understand the methods and know how we are deceiving people, hopefully in an entertaining way.

With hypnosis we do not need to know how it works (unless we have a medical research background) so from the outset we need to concentrate on the effect rather than the method.

Also, Hypnosis is NOT something where you can have a script and rehearse the heck out of it. Every hypnosis performance is different and requires us to use a script only as a guide or strategy rather than a step by step, word by word sequence of events.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9644 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Too many focus on the hypnosis itself, rather that the more important concern which should be entertaining with hypnosis. Too many rely on "the hypnosis" for the entertainment factor rather that what you do as an entertainer with hypnosis to make the true entertainment.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19821 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I will clear up the mystery. There is no grand unifying theory of hypnosis. Hypnosis works for the same reason money is valuable in America. Nothing backs the money any more. It is valuable because the government says it is and we believe them. Same with hypnosis. You say it works and they believe you. Nothing more.

That is why simply being confident as Tony says goes a long Way.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
They only believe it because it works though. I think the word belief is over used and over simplified much like the word placebo. No one knows how either work but both can make physical changes in body chemistry and physical results. Hypnosis is a way of directing both of these phenomena. And can amplify the outcomes.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19821 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If it didn't work they would stop believing wouldn't they?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
208 Posts

Profile of JonChase
What I did was... spent thousands going to every show I could find. Hung around stage doors and asked questions. Spent days in libraries reading everything I could find about psychology, performance. Got jobs in the Biz, sound, lights, stage management. Copied everything I saw and just tried it everywhere.

I am no fan of so-called street hypnosis trying to formulate what should be spontaneous practice. From what I see it's like learning not to crash a car by crashing the car.

No one's advice is any good unless you have the balls and the smarts to go out and just do it. A great performer once said to me that if you got it you will use it.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Please Help . . A New Street hypnotist (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL