The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Harry Robson's "The Worker's Dream" wallet (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
A good magic friend wrote up a fairly comprehensive review of Harry Robson's new "Worker's Dream" wallet. Thought folks here would like to read it:

If there is one thing that magicians seem obsessed with, it's wallets. And it's probably also true to say that more versions of wallets appear on the market as each year passes - often consisting of some new idea or another, for an existing method; each often stating that here we finally have the ultimate. The wallet to beat all others. A must have!

I am just a little enthusiastic when it comes to reviewing Harry's Instant Reset principle. And the reason is because during nearly a lifetime of performing magic, nothing has received such a jaw-dropping response than finding the spectators signed card, along with their finger ring, sealed inside an envelope. It has, in a nutshell, been reputation-making; and my diary has been a lot busier, over the past two years, as a result.

So getting on to Harry's latest release - 'The Workers Dream'. Well, I think one of the dreams that anyone strives for (that either works professionally, or even just dabbles with the occasional show for family and friends) is having more pocket space. Having the ability to perform a few effects with the minimum of props. Not being bulked up by literally becoming a magic shop on legs.

Well, this wallet achieves that goal. It enables you to pull off a number of different effects; conveniently contained within something that you'd need to carry anyway.

So yep, we have the basic card to zipped wallet. In itself, something that is a very memorable moment of magic. Add the sealed envelope into the mix, and the very good just got a whole lot more magical. And as people that use Harry's Instant Reset will know only too well, the fact that the card, ring, etc. is within a sealed envelope, zipped in a wallet, that they remove and tear open, DOES become a talking point amongst spectators. It's a memorable moment of magic that, in all honesty, is financially worth it's weight in gold.

But what appeared to be the holy grail (The Instant Reset System) just got even better.

The kit comes with a DVD; once again superbly produced. Harry spends time talking you through the contents of the package. Tips and ideas for using the Instant Reset principle. How to make the sealed envelopes fail-proof.

We move onto the 'Out to Lunch' principle. The cards fit perfectly and there's a very creative piece of design to ensure that they 'gimmicked' card stays neatly in place, and always coalesces with the other card(s) - particularly when they are being signed; an important point! There's also a clever piece of marketing printed on the rear of the card, which should ensure that these are kept by the spectator. I assume that Harry will be selling further supplies of these cards - although you have 25 cards contained within this kit.

The Peek Idea is manufactured into the wallet brilliantly. It enables an external peek after the spectator has placed the card inside the interior pocket - the little pocket itself cleverly designed to snap shut with a magnet - so that there's no perceived possibility of you getting to see what's been written once it's been inserted into the wallet; and the pocket/wallet having subsequently been closed by the spectator. There's also some excellent thinking gone into the modus operandi for getting the glimpse - two different types of 'camouflage' to make everything look as it should; whilst giving you the option of using whatever suits you best.

Then, there's an additional Mullica-style wallet should you wish to present card to small wallet, inside a larger wallet. This is again, a very powerful trick - and a no-palm version is always useful - particularly for those occasions when you are working in your shirt sleeves or, for whatever reason, you don't have time to prep an envelope.

Just to add that the Mullica has two inside pockets. To this end, my own personal presentation would be to have a duplicate (from a contrasting deck) in one pocket of the Mullica and sell it initially as a prediction-style trick; with the climax being that you remove their actual (forced) signed card from the Mullica's other pocket.

Just to add that with these types of presentations, it doesn't need a lot of creativity to see how the 'Out to Lunch' and/or the peek system could also be brought into the mix. For example, the spectator writes down a playing card and hides it from view inside the wallet. You state "so your card is now inside the wallet"......at which point they assume you mean their written prediction. But you remove the Mullica, and their merely thought-of playing card is inside.

As a complete routine, you could force a card and get it signed; and when the guy turns over the signed 'Out to Lunch' card, you've predicted it - before actually removing the playing card from a sealed envelope. Then you use the peek/Mullica prediction idea above, as a follow-up.

Sorry guys - thinking out loud a bit here on how to gel the various effects into a full routine. But anyway, that's about half of your close-up set completed; and interestingly, you've used three opportunities to market yourself (a business card in the envelope, your details on the 'Out to Lunch' card, and finally, the business card with their drawing/card/number written on). And none of it appears tacky or unprofessional - unlike simply throwing down a pile of business cards at each table - which I'm sure we've all seen magicians do at one time or another!

Harry points out on the DVD that the smaller Mullica was not made by Tony Curtis; so therefore, it's a different grain of leather. Personally, I prefer this - to my mind, the fact that they aren't an exact matching pair, actually validates their naturalness.

Both wallets are exceptionally well made. The leather is excellent quality, the zip robust and the strong stitching finished neatly, and to a very high standard - as we've come to expect from Tony Curtis. The Mullica also meets these exacting standards. As an everyday wallet, there's slots for credit cards, and a flap to hold your notes (bills).

Summing up, we are once again offered a true worker via one of Britain's finest. I can't really see how this could be bettered or improved upon. For £70, you are buying a piece of pure, commercial dynamite that doesn't come along very often.

So summing up, the bar has been well and truly raised. I really can't, for the life of me, think how this wallet could be bettered?

And gentlemen, let me just say in complete and utter honesty, that this wallet could potentially be the very best investment that you are EVER likely to make. To a working performer, or even someone who's thinking of going into this business as a full-time professional magician, £70 is chicken-feed investment for something that, if used to it's full potential, could earn you literally thousands of pounds in return.

UNRESERVEDLY RECOMMENDED!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
gostone23
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of gostone23
What are the dimensions of The Worker's Dream? I cannot find them on the website.

Also, Can anyone compare this to the Triple Threat Wallet?

Thanks

Robert
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1084 Posts

Profile of taller8
I wonder how good the angles are with the filter peek function? are they as good as the telethought wallet?

Sounds like a great wallet.
mkarav
View Profile
Regular user
Westwood, NJ
106 Posts

Profile of mkarav
I have it and I am happy with it. Better quality leather, easy load for CTW and to sealed envelope, superior out to lunch and nice Mullica insert, smooth, also the external peeks are good. US bills do not fit lengthwise so I keep my Extreme burn wad there.

I purchased mine from Vanishing for $99, a good deal.
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
847 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2014, Chessmann wrote:
Harry points out on the DVD that the smaller Mullica was not made by Tony Curtis; so therefore, it's a different grain of leather.

Update, I am now making both wallets for Harry Robson.

Tony
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.
www.tonycurtismagic.com/archive.html
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2730 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Tony,

Can I pick up the Mullica portion from you ?
Thanks
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
847 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Xcath1 wrote:
Tony,

Can I pick up the Mullica portion from you ?
Thanks

Sorry all the ones I have recently made went to Harry Robson.

Tony
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.
www.tonycurtismagic.com/archive.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Harry Robson's "The Worker's Dream" wallet (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL