The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Proper paper for master prediction system (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
139 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
This may be a silly thing to ask about, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what kindof paper to use for the Master Prediction System. It's probably not actually this exact illusion that I'll be doing, but the same type of effect with a gimmick that I'm currently designing. My problem is that I need a large type of paper that's nearly silent when it's folded up, but not too thick. It may seem silly, but I've discovered that when the paper is folded and written on, it tends to make a noise that could be a problem in the setup of my show. Photo paper works better, but it's probably too thick for the gimmick I'm designing. Anyone have any suggestions?
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
My best recommendation is to have a score of music underneath this piece if noise is a problem...and even better if you can use a center fill or a center monitor. Regarding paper, we use something similar to butcher paper. You can buy it at any school supply store. Currently our prediction is on a 32"x36" sheet.
Hope that helps.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
139 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Thanks. I'm not sure I know what you mean by "center fill or center monitor".
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Center fill, actually I should have said front fill are speakers that are aligned to provide even sound to the front few rows of an audience. Most venues have their speakers to the left and right of the stage or proscenium. Often times the best viewing seats are the worst seats sound wise.

A center monitor or stage monitor is a speaker on stage pointing towards the performers to help them hear themselves. For those doing a snowstorm or other illusion where masking noise is required, then a stage monitor does wonders.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
dfield
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of dfield
Great advice Kevin - I will be trying that too.
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
767 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
I use a thin poster board type paper that I pick up from the hobby store. I prefold the paper like an accordion, write on it and stuff it into the tube. It is silent. The only noise is when the table clicks shut.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
139 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Do you know of any link to the hobby store, or official title of this paper?
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I use Typing paper in an envelope and then it is placed in the tube.
I have a person from the audience come on stage and read it out with a hand held mic.
once it is over, I let them keep the paper.

My Routine is involving the US postal girl deal..
So an envelope with a stamp and all and a regular size of paper makes more sense for what I do..

If you are talk to the audience when you pull the trigger... You should have no problems.
meaning, they will hear your voice over the sound system and not the thing you don't want them to hear.

I never use moniters in my show.. With all the shows that I have had to work around per day..
Every show in branson uses bands and lots of sound gear.. I learned a while back to train myself to not use them.
We just have them play the sound system a bit louder out front.

This cuts down on feed back and all that as well.

i have never had anyone hear anything..

Thanks

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
krille
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of krille
I tape two pices of foam rubber to the inside of the box.
It won't make a sound when the magic happens.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Proper paper for master prediction system (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL