The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Charging Festivals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1290 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Just wondering how to charge busker festivals.

My wife and I run a company that goes in to schools and do science shows. But over Christmas it the summer holidays and things are a bit quite. We use this time to relax and write new content. Also I get to focus on my magic and busking a bit more. So because there is a lot of summer festivals over here and for the end of 2014 I would like to do some of these festivals as a busker.

I plan to put a website together and market my self as a festival busker. I will contact event organizers later this year. But I have a few questions regarding charging them. I know the going rates for children parties and corporate close up so I have a ruff idea but just need some info.

- Do charge a one of rate per show almost like corporate shows and kids parties?
- Is it acceptable to hat?
- Do I charge a low rate but insist in hatting?

I think it fair to have travel cost and accommodation covered if requested to do long distance events.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
442 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Didn't you just post you got into a busker festival?
Or were you a busker at a festival? Smile
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Al, A busker by definition collects donations for his/her income, so to "charge a one of rate per show" makes you a hired performer at the event instead of a busker. Nothing wrong with getting money that way, but it isn't busking.

Why don't you give the festival organizer a choice of the options for them to pick what suits you and them. But first you figure out your true costs to get to the event and get some idea of the attendance from gate numbers [what kind of festival is it that can't provide a reasonably accurate estimate of their previous year's attendance?] the previous year or two so you can have a pretty good guess at how good your hatting would go.
For example, I'm performing at the one-day ArtBeat festival in Whangarei this Saturday 22 Feb 2014. The attendance is expected to be from 7000 to 10,000. I'll be busking with my Magic Show and selling balloons. From my last year's busking income there I expect to make good money.

Some time back I was considering approaching a school about busking at their event but when I checked out their publicity photos from the previous year on the internet I saw hardly any people at the various events. So from that I figured it wouldn't pay for me to attend as a busker.javascript:InstaSmilie()
The presentation makes the magic.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1290 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On , The Great Zoobini wrote:
Didn't you just post you got into a busker festival?
Or were you a busker at a festival? Smile

Yes I did perform at a busking festival as a busker recently. And from that I really enjoyed and want to do more busking festivals. Also I want to busk at other festival / fun days as well. And as what my wife and I do quietens down in the summer I thought ill hit this market more. So I was just putting out feelers to see what was out there and to fine tune my approach as well.

Sorry if wires got crossed and thank you for following my post so closely.
Enjoy your magic,

Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1290 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On , MagiCol wrote:
Al, A busker by definition collects donations for his/her income, so to "charge a one of rate per show" makes you a hired performer at the event instead of a busker. Nothing wrong with getting money that way, but it isn't busking.

Thank you for a great reply but these lines really hit a cord. As I am really thinking about what I want as a performer. In the past year or so I have relly stuck into the idea I want my magic just to be performed out on the street. there soothing about begin on the same level as your crowd, connecting and touching them. Also the I come to them approach and they decide to stop, watch and pay. So yeah getting paid by the event team take this away. Also people that paid to get into a event might not want to pay for a performer. An numbers of pepole are important as well.

I am going to think and work this out I migth re vist this post again.
Enjoy your magic,

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Charging Festivals (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL