The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Jeff Busby death (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Maybe a political analogy might work here:
Thatcher for example, people danced when she died and others mourned. People who mourned said it wasn't right that they danced on her grave. Later when one of the left wing leaders died (can't remember his name). The left mourned and the right danced on the grave . The left said that wasn't right.
Both sides were in the wrong, both sides had reasons for their actions. If you want to criticise do it later in my opinion.
Busby wrote some great books, but also screwed a lot of people over. End of story. Done.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
It occurs to me that if one knew that Busby had stolen the notebooks, then one should perhaps not have tried to buy them in the first place....
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
At the time I purchased the subscription to the Braue Notebooks from Busby, I was not aware that had pinched them. I only heard that after the fact. And he didn't get all the notebooks. There are two others I think that are in a personal collection. Plus there are now photocopies of the entire set of the original notebooks floating around.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Fair enough, Richard.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Im just glad you cant ban me from this forum. Look, the guy is dead. Even people were calling you out in the genii thread for over-reacting a bit.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Jeff was not my favorite person. Anybody who knows me well, knows I was close with Ray Grismer, Jeff's estranged father-in-law. Jeff used quotes from me to help sell some of his products, and then . . . well, let's just say he didn't treat me very well and leave it at that. But Jeff had some real problems (a massive stroke and other severe health issues), that, while not excusing his actions may help to explain them. I wouldn't wish that on my least favorite person (which he may well have been at one point). I hope that Jeff was able to find some forgiveness and peace before he died. I hope his wife, now having lost both her father and husband, finds some peace and comfort. I hope we can all learn from Jeff--that how we treat others is important, that people are more important than money or prestige, that a good reputation is a priceless asset (and once tarnished is difficult to return to its former shine), and that we need to take care of our health.

I, for one, take no joy in his death. I would have much preferred to have seen him go on living, to have been reconciled with family and friends, to have fulfilled his promises or refund payment, to have restored his reputation, and to have gone on being a productive member of the magic community and society at large. Though he was not my friend, his death makes me sad, not happy.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
jjsanvert
View Profile
Special user
Paris, France
581 Posts

Profile of jjsanvert
Nice words.
JJS
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Very nicely said, Scott
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I had a number of dealings with Mr. Busby and they all ended poorly. I can still remember a telephone conversation that ended and me saying to my wife, "That guy is a lunatic". He called me a few years later and said he couldn't even remember what I was talking about when I reminded him of our last conversation. I think Richard Kaufman is spot on.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2014, Kendrix wrote:
I had a number of dealings with Mr. Busby and they all ended poorly. I can still remember a telephone conversation that ended and me saying to my wife, "That guy is a lunatic". He called me a few years later and said he couldn't even remember what I was talking about when I reminded him of our last conversation. I think Richard Kaufman is spot on.

At this point in time, who gives a crap what you or Kaufman think.
Busby is gone for good, leave him be.

If you must inflate your own pitiful self-worth by woefullly disparaging a dead guy, you need to take a hard look in the mirror and re-evaluate the guy looking back at you.

Really, it's over and you sorry mothers need to deal with life as it's laid out in front of you rather than drag up this crap to let us all know (even though we didn't ask you) how you're still "hurting inside" because of Busby's rather obvious foul deeds.
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
Silver King I don't appreciate your name calling. Richard and I are entitled to our opinions just as you are. Please keep this from turning into a personal attack.
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1246 Posts

Profile of splice
Mr. Busby is no longer with us. Let's let him rest in peace, nothing will reach him now.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2014, Kendrix wrote:

Please keep this from turning into a personal attack.

Or at least limit your personal attacks to dead people.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Jesus, give it up. Who cares? He's dead. I cant believe this thread still gets responses. Keep this drama in "workers".

Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2014, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
I, for one, take no joy in his death. I would have much preferred to have seen him go on living, to have been reconciled with family and friends, to have fulfilled his promises or refund payment, to have restored his reputation, and to have gone on being a productive member of the magic community and society at large. Though he was not my friend, his death makes me sad, not happy.

You've got to be kidding. Busby had a quarter of a century to make things right, and all he did was screw more people up the wazoo and then run away.
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Is that the same quarter of a century you had in which to call him out publicly?

Or is it just easier to do when he is no longer around to make a fight of it....

Waiting until someone passes to make strong public statements about their character is an undesirable and cowardly trait. One that I first pondered after reading an article about Gene Maze that you wrote shortly after his passing. The article seemed complimentary but the reference to his sexual preference was gratuitous and out of place. I certainly don't remember seeing that as a subject of public discussion prior to his death and didn't see how it related to anything else that was said about him in the article.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I agree with Dowser. I try not to speak ill of the dead nor behind peoples backs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL1KbQU30-4
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Come to think of it, a bug may be useful at the card table to know what they say about you when you are gone.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2014, The Dowser wrote:
Is that the same quarter of a century you had in which to call him out publicly?

Or is it just easier to do when he is no longer around to make a fight of it....

Waiting until someone passes to make strong public statements about their character is an undesirable and cowardly trait...

Dowser:

You know not of which you speak. Mr. Kaufman wrote about this on numerous occasions over the years. I don't why you'd presume to make that comment.

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Had he publicly outed mazein other places? Was Maze "out"?

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Jeff Busby death (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL