The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Besides Bobo? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
Thank you for the nudge to dust off my old copy of the Amateur Magician's Handbook.

Part of my frustration with Bobo was that I was searching for descriptions that I remember from years ago but couldn't find. The simple reason was that the descriptions that I remembered were Hay's.

Maybe I fell victim to the word "amateur" or didn't trust the value of a multi-disciplinary book over one with a specific focus, but I am glad that you all reminded me of my first magic book.

I will focus on the basics with Hay supplementing Bobo and add Futagawa soon.

Thank you again for all of the suggestions, I look forward to exploring the others as my competence develops.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
This is a great place thanks MB Smile And also for reminding me about Hay's book one of the first books I ever bought back in the 70's. I hope I still have it. Futagawa I should check that out as well.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There's a presupposition that one can benefit from a direct focus on one branch of magic before exploring the tree and gaining some basic competences. Even the "Erdnase" text reminds the reader that before seeking a post graduate education one is expected to have the elementary and basic skills in place across a sufficiently broad foundation upon which to build.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea Even I do some Cards, And A stand-up set ! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
thefliss
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of thefliss
Quote:
On 2014-02-21 11:54, critter wrote:
If anyone's curious, the Al Schneider book mentioned above is only $13.50 for the reprint on Amazon.

Since this seems to be a well-read group, can someone tell me if "Al Schneider On Coins" is simply an abridged version of the bigger "Al Schneider Magic" from L&L so that it includes only the coin section? Or, does it have additional or unique material of its own and is a stand-alone reference?

Thanks in advance!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You're welcome Darkness. Smile

And hey, I've been PMd quite a bit here as to my comparative statement above as to what exactly the great basketball player, Bill Russell recently said to current great, LeBron James, as James left him off his personal hoops-fashioned, Mt. Rushmore of the greatest NBA players ever…

"Hey, thank you for leaving me off your Mount Rushmore. I’m glad you did. Basketball is a team game, it’s not for individual honors. I won back-to-back state championships in high school, back-to-back NCAA championships in college, I won an NBA championship my first year in the league, an NBA championship in my last year, and nine in between. That, Mr. James, is etched in stone."

Now that surely has some relevance here if you connect the dots just a little bit, plus it's pretty darn magical when you think of such great accomplishment in just about anything. Smile

*Incidentally, James selected, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson for his Rushmore…Not bad, but… Smile Old Henry Hay doesn't seem to be alone within such perspectives on things.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MarkSpitzer
View Profile
New user
WV
51 Posts

Profile of MarkSpitzer
Ditto Hare's comments for text.
With respect to Card College, Helder Guimarães gave me some great advice, which was to work through each volume twice before proceeding to the next volume.
Not a beginner text, but excellent (imo) with respect to hand/coin positioning is Dr Larry Barnowsky's "21st Century Coin Mechanics"

Like Darkness, I too am a visual learner and found good Dr Michael Rubinstein's "Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights" to be a can't miss DVD set.
For DVD material specifically for palming, I found the training program in Reed McClintock's "Classic Palming With Coins" to be very helpful.
And, have fun! I would add that I have had some marvelous and generous coaching by a number of members here, especially Vinny Marini. I do owe Mb217 a sincere debt of gratitude for his help with his material at http://www.vinnymarini.com/download/ and, again, just to have fun with this stuff, I encourage you to check it out.

Pax Maximus
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On , MarkSpitzer wrote:
Not a beginner text, but excellent (imo) with respect to hand/coin positioning is Dr Larry Barnowsky's "21st Century Coin Mechanics".

Interesting. I was going to mention Larry's book. One of the best books on Coin Magic I have ever read...

Doug
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes, Larry's books certainly add a lot to the pot. Smile The good doctor keeps delivering good magic in every book, about 4 books to his credit to date. And he touches all sorts of magic but gave us a double dip of his passion in his 21st "Century Coin Mechanics." His latest is "Counting on Deception," it's got some coin stuff in there and a whole lot more. Smile

*And thanks Mark for the kind words about VinnyMarini.com and myself. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Three boxes arrived today from Florida. I got ALL my books back! Smile 21st Century Coin Mechanics was in there! So was the big Bobo hard cover! Ohhh man, I am psyched! Five more boxes of stuff arrive next week! Just a MIRACLE this happened...

Doug
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Cool Man! Smile I love it when you find Stuff You thought was Gone!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Guess what, Dave...? In that box was...ready?

The Professional Coin Box Magic Of Dave Neighbors, by John T. Hopkins!!!

OMG! I am SO pleased! This book is a GOLD MINE for Okito Box workers! Smile

Doug
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

HAY !!! Happy-Happy!!! Smile

And thanks so much man! Glad you like it!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
This is the BIG Bobo book:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S6570

That's the one ya want. The Dover paperback is OK, but this is the original.

Doug
MarkSpitzer
View Profile
New user
WV
51 Posts

Profile of MarkSpitzer
(Note to Moderators - PLEASE delete this post if it violates any copyright/ownership rights. I was lead to believe that this is now in the Public Domain and I have no wish to violate any laws or rules if I have been incorrectly advised.)

Dougini - I am out of the country and away from my library. Can you verify if the following link is the Big Bobo book?
http://www.learnmagictricks.org/ebook/Bobolmt.pdf

I am not a fan of reading texts on my laptop, but it would be handy to have ready access to some texts when needed while out and about.

Again, if this post is inappropriate, please report for deletion.

Mark
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
That is not the "big" Bobo book. There are 16 chapters in the original. I don't believe Magic Inc. has ever issued or authorized an ebook of the expanded New Modern Coin Magic.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
You're right. A third of the book is missing...oh well. I am SO glad I got my books back! Still, I'd have bought it again. There is SO much...

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hey Mark. I checked. You're good. That PDF is legit. It may not be the BIG book, but it sure covers the basics! Guys, just right-click on that link and "save link as...". It's a good one for the library.

You'd be shocked at the sheer number of free PDF/ebooks that are out there for the downloading! I must have close to a hundred by now! Smile

Doug
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
My two large coin books were never designed for beginners. Both were written with the assumption that Bobo's Modern Coin Magic would have been the starting point before my books were purchased.

Things are very different when viewed in retrospect: when I wrote and published CoinMagic in 1981 (while finishing my double major at NYU, no less) everyone interested in coin magic had already read Bobo's book many times--it was the ONLY large book on coin magic up to that point. So I felt no need to reteach all that basic material. The Roth Book, which I spent three years writing and illustrating, is a very different type of book: I did teach Roth's handling of many basic sleights in that book because he had good touches on many things that deserved to be described.

Both books are different and have great value. But it's been almost 30 years since the Roth book came out: someone should do another enormous book of coin magic because it's a lot easier to learn the correct details from a good written description than DVDs, where people rush through stuff.

People have asked me many times when CoinMagic 2 is coming out. Both of those coin books required huge amounts of work--coin magic is a b I t c h to write.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Besides Bobo? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL