The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Gallows by Mark Shortland (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10597 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Just saw this on the WPR today. Starts at 16:54 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o9hQtZFuHA

This basically mixes a book test mixed nicely with the classic game of Hangman. This definitely seems more for stage but it looks quite intriguing. The apparatus looks a bit imposing to transport and carry, but probably not too hard for a good wood worker to create.

***Wondering if the audience learns the actual word, or is it only known by the spectator? I'm guessing only the spec knows the word as guesses are made by performer.

Here is the ad copy...

The Gallows Book Test by Mark Shortland is a comedy book test based around the classic word game "Hangman", and building a full sized gallows on stage!

The performer tries to guess the chosen word by playing the classic game of hangman, except rather than drawing the gallows, a ten foot gallows is assembled as letters are incorrectly guessed. Tension is built to a crescendo as the performer finds himself stood on a chair with their neck in a fully constructed set of gallows and no more guesses available. Fortunately these specially written books allow the performer to ascertain the word with no fear of rope burns, or worse!

The two gimmicked books also utilise other mentalism principles, which can be used in other applications including close up routines.

Includes full DVD instruction, books, noose and all other gimmicks, and the plans for constructing your gallows.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10597 Posts

Profile of saysold1
The question that comes to my mind also is couldn't a similar presentation by made using any book test since this is essentially a method of a comedy reveal?

Obviously you are buying Mark's tried and true routining but the Hangman idea is one I've actually toyed with in the past few years as well.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I will wait for the "packs flat, plays big" version.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10597 Posts

Profile of saysold1
You could probably just draw a hangman on a large pad or dry erase board - wouldn't be quite the same though.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
True. The concept of the gallows is good but not practical for most performers. I wonder if it could be made using foam painted to look like wood.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Well yes it includes plans for the gallows, but if you are handy at DIY then you could build your own design.
The longest piece is the main upright and for a 10' gallows would be 10 feet tall. But I'm sure that on the video, I saw and join in the middle - so each section being 5 feet in length. Of could you could have it in 3 sections and only make your gallows 9 feet tall and so only 3 feet sections. If you brought one of those enormous holdall bags, you could get all the sections in there and in a car with no problems. You could also make it out of square tubes of wood rather than solid and that would cut down the overall weight. Remember it only has to stand there without collapsing and fortunately at no time needs to hold the full weight of you swinging by your neck on the end of it. So if everything possible went wrong, the whole thing would break instead of you!
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2014-02-21 12:27, magicinsight wrote:
True. The concept of the gallows is good but not practical for most performers. I wonder if it could be made using foam painted to look like wood.

Or light-weight plastic sheets cut, made into square tubes and painted like wood. or in fact anything really. You could go high tech and use aluminium tubes to make a frame. (But I think that detracts from Ye Olde Wooden Gallows look.
kazpet
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of kazpet
You could also make one with a 3d printer !
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2014-02-21 14:23, kazpet wrote:
You could also make one with a 3d printer !

What LIVE?

"Would the audience please come back in 3 days and I will choose the next letter." Smile
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2192 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
How much in U.S. dollars would the materials cost?
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Impossible to say: It's only a few lengths of wood, so it all depends what type of wood and where you buy it.

Make it out of Oak and it's going to cost a lot more than standard construction timber.

And depends on either a simple design or more complex to suit your needs.
illusion123
View Profile
Regular user
Wolverhampton, England
120 Posts

Profile of illusion123
This is a nice comedy stage affect. The Gallows that I saw at Blackpool for the effect is quite heavy and wouldn't want to be carrying that around. I'm sure you could get it made lighter. I also think this is expensive for what it is, and remember all you have here is another book test and a few gimmicks. If you want to perform the effect as seen you still have to get the Gallows made.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
966 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
I bought this effect at Blackpool last Friday to use as part of a 2 man magic stage show that myself and and a buddy are putting together.
I have to say I am very pleased with it. The method used to divine the spectators word from the book is very crafty indeed and virtually foolproof when in the heat of a live performance. We will be getting the gallows made out of hollow box construction timber as they are for visual effect only and never used (unless it all goes very badly wrong!!!)
I think it is certainly worth the money (£120) and overall I am very pleased with the purchase.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
TomConsole
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of TomConsole
It looks like a great routine. Very funny. Obviously not for everyone due to the prop needed, but if you have the ability to make one and carry it around, I looks like it would be a hit when performed right.
kazpet
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of kazpet
Where can you buy it now?
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
733 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Forget the gallows the MOABT in these books is amazing!!

It's a great book test - well written and great word selection.

Recommended
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2192 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I need to go look at the demo but can someone share whether the audience is in on the word or does just one person know and the audience just feeds off the tension mounting from the galllows being built?
TomConsole
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of TomConsole
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2014, TheTableTopTrixta wrote:
Forget the gallows the MOABT in these books is amazing!!

It's a great book test - well written and great word selection.

Recommended

I have MOABT and for the money, I don't know that I am 100% pleased. I am not thrilled with the way you have to get the word at the start if you know what I mean. There should be no ph****** at that price. I use it in combination with revealing a chosen number and a picture drawn by a sspectator, using a "one ahead" method. That way they kinda forgot abut the "ph*****" by the time its over. Just my opinion.
craigwest
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of craigwest
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2014, MagicBrent wrote:
I need to go look at the demo but can someone share whether the audience is in on the word or does just one person know and the audience just feeds off the tension mounting from the galllows being built?

I was at the comedy club performance that WPR showed in their review; the audience was not in on the word until it was revealed and confirmed to be correct.
EddieM
View Profile
Regular user
Experienced but only
172 Posts

Profile of EddieM
Anyone know if they are going to sell these through other dealers like MJM Magic, or is this only going to be available through World Magic Shop?
- EddieM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Gallows by Mark Shortland (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL