The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Law ?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Natas
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Natas
So when I was looking around for info on becoming a hypnotist I came across info saying that your not aloud to do it here in the uk / N Ireland. You need to be aloud by the district to do it in a pub and you cant do it on the street at all. . . . . Is that right ??
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Only if you follow the law. Some of us feel you have no obligation to follow a bad law. Or move down south of the border. We have no regulations here.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If you are a criminal then all laws are bad. I happen to think its a good one. And you are allowed to do stage hypnosis so long as you follow the safety guidelines. And now insurance is becoming very affordable so there are no excuses. its not a problem. The problem now is there are so many bad hypnotists around.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
You could perform hypnosis and then show to any authority that what the law says is hypnosis does not exist and is not what you are performing.
There is no holy grail!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Love to hear how you get on please go ahead.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
It is wrong to say that you are not allowed to perform hypnosis in the UK.

The 1952 Hypnosis act prohibits unlicenced demo/performances in a public place (E.g. theatre, pub, and arguably street)
You need to get a permit from the local authority. They will ask to see proof of your insurance and other documents before granting a licence. The licence is for a specific venue at specified dates/times.

For private functions, say by invite to someone's house, you don't need any permit.

If you are in contact with the public, in any branch of performing art, then it is sensible to carry some form of public liability insurance.
Most insurers will exclude hypnosis so ask around for those that do include it.
The Equity union, also offers a hypnosis insurance option for their members.

N.B. If you are performing on the street you are more likely to stopped by the local authority or police for not having a busker's licence.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
208 Posts

Profile of JonChase
The 1952 Hypnotism Act does Not Prohibit Hypnosis anywhere.

I've spent money on legal advice and have letters from my MP so listen up.

The act gives power to licence Hypnosis shows to the local authority who issues entertainment licences for the area the demonstration of hypnosis takes place.

The authority doesn't have to, and a lot don't bother.

The law makes it illegal to perform a show as, or attached to, and entertainment in a place licensed for entertainment or not.

So the performer is obliged by law to seek a licence. They only break that law if they don't apply.

The local authority can ban anything from occurring in it's area unless that goes against your human rights.

As for street hypnosis if there is no attempt to gather an audience or perform for payment [busk] you can hypnotise anyone who asks you to.

And as Gordon says, private parties in private houses are exempt, however private parties in places licensed for public functions or entertainment or public places you should be licensed.

It is interesting to note that no one has been prosecuted under the 1952 act for performing without licence. However it is still a law and should be obeyed as should all laws no matter how stupid them appear to be.

The cheapest insurance, where you don't have to join a club to get it, is from Mark at mark@musiciansinsurance.co.uk
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2014, JonChase wrote:
However it is still a law and should be obeyed as should all laws no matter how stupid them appear to be.

That is an opinion not shared by everyone. One of the joys of being in a democracy is our freedom to challenge stupid laws. It often begins, as Gandhi showed, with civil disobedience. Ignoring stupid laws is a good start.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Gandhi was a stage hypnotist?
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I've just completed a course in hypnotherapy and am now a certified hypnotist. The thing to be careful of, and the reason some countries/ districts/states have laws regulating hypnotist is twofold. 1) The misconception on the part of many people that hypnotism can be used to control others against their will. We know this is nonsense, particularly in an entertainment context. 2) There is a chance, since about 15% of the population can have a mental condition--diagnosed or otherwise--that can be aggravated under hypnosis. For example, someone with a phobia regarding heights, elevators, or stairways could have an adverse to certain inductions. Also, schizophrenics, psychotics, those with bipolar disorder, some O/C disorders and others could have their disorder manifest while induced. This is important and is the best reason for insurance and knowledge about how to recognize these disorders. Any hypnotist--therapist or entertainer--would be prudent to learn how to recognize those who should not be induced just for self protection.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2014, mindpunisher wrote:
Gandhi was a stage hypnotist?

Yes - and you stole his haircut.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Actually we are related he was great great uncle of mine...
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
208 Posts

Profile of JonChase
I'm curious MRSharpe. How does one 'recognise' a schizophrenic or BiPolar sufferer in a stage environment?
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
That's easy the best bet is on it being the hypnotist..
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
You don't need to be a hypnotist to get bad reactions from an audience.

I was doing a simple one-ahead fake mindreading trick for a group of teen girls in a pub. I came to one girl and asked her to think of a 'little white-lie she had told her parents or something she had never told her parents.'

I usually expect answers such as "I smoked cigarettes" or "I told them I was at a friends house."

I pretended to write her thoughts when I saw she had burst into tears.

After lots of tears, and hankies and girls running off to the toilets it turned out she just found out she was pregnant.

Not exactly the mindblowing mentalism finale I was expecting.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Very good point Gordon. And a rotten experience. A bit of a downer.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You just don't know who you have in front of you when it comes to the public.
thementalcoach
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
59 Posts

Profile of thementalcoach
This is so true. When doing age regression demos in front of my Hypnosis Meetup Group, I watch my volunteers like a hawk. That's so I can shut down their regression at the display of any negative emotion (tears beginning to trickle is a good example). I believe that part of any hypnotist's training - stage or clinical - should be in fast and effective ways to shut down undesired abreactions.

Quote:
On Mar 11, 2014, mindpunisher wrote:
You just don't know who you have in front of you when it comes to the public.
David Kenward - The Mental Coach
Solving problems with the Mental Game
Sports, Business, Creative and Performing Arts
Interests - Magic, Mentalism and the Bizarre
Sacramento, California
http://thementalcoach.com
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Let's head-butt this from another angle:

Why are hypnotists not clubbing together to get this old law taken of the statute books?

It does seem rather unfair as there are many acts that could put an audience in danger but are not forced by law to be licenced.
For example a magician could do an act which included a 'spike' type routine and even use an audience member's hand to smash the bags.
He can do all of that and is not forced to get any licence and does not have a whole act devoted to him.

Now of course insurance and a full health and safety assessment is extremely sensible in everyone's public act no matter what it is, but that isn't the point here. The point is why is this 62 year old act still around that forces you to have a licence (and by that insurance) when no other normal general pub/club act requires one?

So no issues about the good of having insurance, full health and safety in place or whether you chose to follow the law or not, but why this law for just one form of entertainment?

And all based on what they thought and knew about hypnosis 62 years ago.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2014, mindpunisher wrote:
That's easy the best bet is on it being the hypnotist..

HA! Many a truth spoken in jest!
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Law ?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL