The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Penguin Mentalism Lectures (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
myrealsphinx
View Profile
New user
Brazil
79 Posts

Profile of myrealsphinx
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2014, Ian Rowland wrote:
I'm just popping in here to say thank you to those who've said nice things about my lecture. We live in a world where sometimes it seems people only speak up when they DIS-like something or want to have a moan (not that that ever happens in the world of magic, of course). So I appreciate the very positive tone of this thread.

I'm sure all the lecturers mentioned have plenty of good stuff to offer.

FWIW, my own favourite item, from the Penguin mentalism lectures I've seen, is 'Infinite End' by Patrick Redford. I dearly wish I had created this, but I know I would never have had the creative ingenuity and intellectual firepower needed to complete all the different 'paths' through the routine. I think it's a work of genius, personally.

Great, great, great job Ian. Thanks for a great admirer of your work
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Have to agree with sandsjr, I was watching the Salem lecture with a friend and I left, it all just seemed disjointed, and he really didn't seem to know what was happening. Lots of long pauses etc this is the second time I have tried to watch it, there won't be a third.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
myrealsphinx
View Profile
New user
Brazil
79 Posts

Profile of myrealsphinx
What a pitty...
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I loved the Marc Salem lecture. I was in the audience. I am the big guy who helped with the Tic Tac effect.

Here is my review:

Delightfully entertaining from start to finish

I knew of Marc Salem's reputation and was eager to check out this lecture. I live about 90 minutes from the studio where these Penguin LIVE lectures originate, so I wanted to see Marc live and in person. I am so glad I did.

Marc has a fluid banter with the audience, and it's as if his gift of gab never stops. He is incredibly entertaining and funny.

His opening effect, The Gift, is one of those nice pieces that can fit in a variety of shows. The performer reads off a series of gifts to his helper, asking if she has any of them. Three spectators write down two-digit numbers. Once the total is added, another spectator chooses on of the digits. It corresponds to a number on the list of gifts. The gift is read, and it is found in a bag underneath the chair that has been there the whole time. Inside the bag there is also a receipt, and it is for the amount the numbers added up to. Nice, fun effect, and Marc teaches a classic principle to achieved the desired outcome.

Marc also performed two book tests. I am a big fan of book tests, and he shared two ungimmicked book tests. If you already use a commercially marketed effect, then having these methods available allows you to add layers and build on a routine. I like the two very much. Also, if you have repeat performances, having these two book tests in your arsenal allows for you to change up methods and books.

Marc teaches a straightforward, ungimmicked Bank Night routine. It is nice and allows for some interplay with your helpers.

One of the principles he taught (though he did not perform a routine using this principle) is how to use a certain kind of business card for a Q&A act. It is based on a classic principle, but Marc has streamlined it in such a way that I people write down the names of cities. I don't do readings either, but this method has me curious. Take your cards and a brown paper bag, and you have a serious piece of mentalism that can run long or short, depending upon your ability or desire. I like this a lot.

The promo material stated Marc would teach a right-brain/left-brain effect that was in the vein of Out of This World. He does not perform it or teach it, however, he mentions what he did with it during his interview with host Dan Harlan. You will need to know the OOTW method and know the difference between right- and left-brain activity to perform it, but it should not be much of a challenge if this interests you.

Marc was delightful, engaging, funny and entertaining. It was a treat.
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Bringing it back from the dead !

I'm going to have some free time next week and want to soak in a new lecture.

What lecture on mentalism have you found the most value and inspiration in ?

I always more interested in the tips and bits that make you a better performer than effects but a combination of both is always great.

Thank you !
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
You can't go wrong with the David Parr lecture. But, I also think the David Hira lecture has plenty to offer, especially about making you a better performer. It's not a mentalism lecture, but Hira provided lots of tips for the working professional, from how to enter the performance area - to wearing make-up - and tips for making your effects look bigger, by involving more people. Really strong lecture.

Oscar
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Thanks for the tip Oscar999 !
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
TC Tahoe!
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1354 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2018, magic maniac wrote:
I always more interested in the tips and bits that make you a better performer than effects but a combination of both is always great.

Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander.
Johnny250
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Johnny250
Lior manor lecture is proably One of the best investments you'll make. Lots of good stuff, but mostly advice from a professional who has been making a living for decades from shows
Elman1
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Elman1
The most rewarding penguin lectures I have found for mentalism are Looch 1&2, Jan Forster, Banachek, Marc Paul, Ian Rowland, Atlas Brooking, Osterlind 1&2, David Parr and Marc Spelman. A lot of these are quite old but I haven't watched any recently that offer nearly as much value for money. Iam sorry to say that I was disappointed with Lior Mannors lecture and couldn't understand the glowing reviews, perhaps I need to rewatch it.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1036 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
Fernando Figueras all the way

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

Thanks for recommending this. I didn’t know of Fernando until I looked up your recommendation. Just finished watching it, so much great thinking about how to be creative with Mentalism.

In other news, there are so many good lectures from amazing performers and thinkers. My recommendation for those who are seeking to learn from them is to put away their ego and judgement when watching whatever lecture they choose. You can find useful, workable, reliable material from any of the mentalists who have generously given their lecture on Penguin. If I end up using something from the lecture then it is worth so much more than the price of the lecture.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
418 Posts

Profile of Alan M
ROSS JOHNSON!

A lot of great lectures have been mentioned here but if you haven’t seen the Ross Johnson lecture, do yourself a favor.

It is far more than just effects; It’s like a masterclass in mentalism.

Search out reviews here if you want more details but if you are looking for mentalism you can not go wrong with this lecture. I’d have paid the price just to watch his performance.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1952 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Banachek, Lior Manor, Jan Forster and Ross Johnson lectures were all exceptional.
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
500 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2018, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:

Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander.

Come on, a magic aficionado who put a show for the magic castle 20 years ago , got the gig, bought some tricks ... this can not be even consider a lecturer, its more a Dan Harlan non- stop flattering mode interview!

Banachek and Jan forster is all you need to start performing....
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1354 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2018, Mark Timon wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2018, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:

Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander.

Come on, a magic aficionado who put a show for the magic castle 20 years ago , got the gig, bought some tricks ... this can not be even consider a lecturer, its more a Dan Harlan non- stop flattering mode interview!

Banachek and Jan forster is all you need to start performing....

He's a professional actor who teaches master classes in acting and character development.

If you don't think there's anything substantial to learn there, then I probably wouldn't want to watch your show.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
881 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks for the mention, Oscar999 and Elman1! Glad you enjoyed the lecture!
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1925 Posts

Profile of Lior
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2018, Johnny250 wrote:
Lior manor lecture is proably One of the best investments you'll make. Lots of good stuff, but mostly advice from a professional who has been making a living for decades from shows

Thanks Johnny250
I like you a lot

Quote:
On Jan 27, 2018, Elman1 wrote:
. Iam sorry to say that I was disappointed with Lior Mannors lecture and couldn't understand the glowing reviews, perhaps I need to rewatch it.

Thanks Elman1
I like you Smile Smile Smile
New shop: 1A magic
You can buy the selfie card trick.
The Zoom project
Talk To The Screen
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
vsha2
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of vsha2
I haven't read through all the posts here, but I can unreservedly recommend Mark Calabrese's lecture on penguin. He's not classically who you'd think of as a mentalist, but the methodology there is FANTASTIC if you want to spark your creative fire.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Penguin Mentalism Lectures (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL