The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mad World-A HANDS OFF OOTW by David Cushing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WeiserSide1
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
533 Posts

Profile of WeiserSide1
David Cushing's 'Mad World' is an INSANELY COOL 'Out Of This World'. It is completely hands off. The spectator does everything. Including genuinely SHUFFLING and MIXING the cards. Just think about that for a second... the once the spectator is handed the deck the magicians NEVER TOUCHES THE CARDS AGAIN!! And the deck is always successfully split into red and black. The first time BBM headhoncho Owen Packard saw it, he FREAKED! 100% fooled!

The Package contains a nicely printed booklet and a special deck of cards. (Supplied in red backed Phoenix).

http://www.bigblindmedia.com/mad-world-selfworking-ootw/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLsCF1Gt0WA

Check this out - The magician removes a deck from its case. Half the deck is spread face down onto the table, the other half is spread face up. The two halves are then pushed together by a spectator. To be sure that the cards are thoroughly mixed the spectator is encouraged to flip bunches of cards face up and face down until they are content that the cards are truly mixed.

Two cards (one red, one black) are removed to act as indicator cards for the upcoming demonstration. The spectator is then asked to look at both sides of the mixed up deck in an attempt to take a mental snap shot of the face up, face down condition of the deck.

With the chaos of the deck in mind the spectator begins to deal the deck into two piles in attempt to separate the red cards from the blacks. Without any switching or intervention by the magician the SPECTATOR is asked to turn over each of the two piles. Amazingly they have managed to separate each and every red card from each and every black card!

Note the following:

From the moment that the spectator is handed the deck the magician need never touch the cards again.

The cards can genuinely be shuffled IN ANY WAY.

Every black card is separated from every red card

No stopping half way through

The spectator makes every choice

From the shuffling to the final reveal the magician NEVER touches the deck

Totally self-working

Comes with bonus handlings
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On , WeiserSide1 wrote:
David Cushing's 'Mad World' is an INSANELY COOL 'Out Of This World'. It is completely hands off. The spectator does everything. Including genuinely SHUFFLING and MIXING the cards. Just think about that for a second... the once the spectator is handed the deck the magicians NEVER TOUCHES THE CARDS AGAIN!! And the deck is always successfully split into red and black. The first time BBM headhoncho Owen Packard saw it, he FREAKED! 100% fooled!

The Package contains a nicely printed booklet and a special deck of cards. (Supplied in red backed Phoenix).

http://www.bigblindmedia.com/mad-world-selfworking-ootw/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLsCF1Gt0WA

Check this out - The magician removes a deck from its case. Half the deck is spread face down onto the table, the other half is spread face up. The two halves are then pushed together by a spectator. To be sure that the cards are thoroughly mixed the spectator is encouraged to flip bunches of cards face up and face down until they are content that the cards are truly mixed.

Two cards (one red, one black) are removed to act as indicator cards for the upcoming demonstration. The spectator is then asked to look at both sides of the mixed up deck in an attempt to take a mental snap shot of the face up, face down condition of the deck.

With the chaos of the deck in mind the spectator begins to deal the deck into two piles in attempt to separate the red cards from the blacks. Without any switching or intervention by the magician the SPECTATOR is asked to turn over each of the two piles. Amazingly they have managed to separate each and every red card from each and every black card!

Note the following:

From the moment that the spectator is handed the deck the magician need never touch the cards again.

The cards can genuinely be shuffled IN ANY WAY.

Every black card is separated from every red card

No stopping half way through

The spectator makes every choice

From the shuffling to the final reveal the magician NEVER touches the deck

Totally self-working

Comes with bonus handlings

You mention a lot of positives but, they are so many great approaches to this effect that I have to wonder whether a "special" deck is warranted for it. If anything, the strongest feature of this version is the hands-off aspect, but, there are variants such as Harry Lorayne's which meet every other condition and it is structured so well that when the spectator remembers most is what she did/saw last and this is true of most magic effects.

The other issue for me is if I ma going to carry a special deck around just for this effect, then I want more than just a conventional OOTW. In my estimation, J.K. Hartman's Back to Earth from Card Dupery is a superior. It too uses a special deck but, you actually call attention to that fact! Briefly, you remove a neutral looking card case - all white for instance - and claim that this special pack of cards is used in clairvoyance tests. You hand the deck to a spectator and instruct het to close her eyes and try to separate the colors without benefit of normal sight - just like a clairvoyant. You have another spectators act as a watchdog to ensure that you don't touch the cards and to straighten the piles if they get a bit mussed. The spectator is of course missing pretty badly and is a bit chagrined when she sees that the colors aren't separated. But, you state that indeed she does seem to possess latent clairvoyance. The face up cards are turned over and it is revealed that she has separated the colors of the BACKS of the cards into red and blue!

There is a lot of room for presentation here and the fact the you use the term colors rather vaguely locks in the red/black separation attempt. Other spectators see the cards being dealt and seemingly in the incorrect piles. The ending is a real shocker. I have to borrow a phrase for John Guastaferro and state that this Hartman effect benefits from "one degree" thinking.

Strong points in its favor should be readily apparent and if you are going to carry a special deck for an effect, I think at least that it really needs to be something that justifies the extra pocket real estate. Hartman's effect provides a wonderful justification for that AND provides a climax that no one will see coming.

Thanks for the info on this however! I am certain it will meet the needs of many.

Slainte,
Vlad
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1019 Posts

Profile of Sashac
That is VERY smart. Love the idea of mixing a gimmick sometimes used for triumph with another one, creating this great concept. I wouldn't perform it personally, but think it's a great idea!
WeiserSide1
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
533 Posts

Profile of WeiserSide1
In all honesty...When Liam first showed it to me, I was completely fooled..seriously I had no clue. But then I bought it and was blown away by method too...and I now blow away my spectators with it.
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
922 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Needs a special deck? Sorry not for me, I think it's pointless to cary a second deck for just one effect (unless it can also work as a normal deck)

Btw, I found it kind of funny that the girl was impressed that there are millions of combinations a deck can be shuffled into, when if fact there are so many that the number would have over 50 zeros.
Learned it on QI Smile
Reader discretion is advised.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
One thing the ad fails to mention is the examinability of the deck. For those of you who perform for spectator potentially unlike the one in the video demo (who is shocked that there are so many combinations that a deck be shuffled into) and who may want to examine the deck as the cards lie separated just to make sure there is nothing fishy, this deck will not allow for that. Just a heads up to those who value full transparency in ads and to potential customers who may decide otherwise when realizing this.

Regards,
Mike
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3969 Posts

Profile of JanForster
To be honest I am not impressed; I think the plot doesn't get better or clearer if cards are shuffled face up and face down. The procedure is not dictated by the effect but the method which was crystal clear to me immediately. I admit that wouldn't count, but bottom line is that a clear effect is sacrificed by the method. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I really like OOTW effects. the best thing about this version is that the spectator is able to shuffle and that it's totally hands off. the part that worries me is that the sepctator might want to turn over the face down cards at the end just to see all the reds and blacks in the same pile. so at the end of the trick, I really think there's a risk of getting caught and the spectator discovering the method. whereas with virutally every other version of OOTW you end completely clean and there's nothing for them to find and you can go on to do another card trick if you want.

i recently performed a standard version of OOTW and people were totally blown away. but the first thing one guy did was pick up the cards and look at them. then he realized that I had used his deck of cards they had been playing poker with all night. so I feel like OOTW effects are so strong sometimes that people have no explanation and will start looking at the cards basically in disbelief.

the hands off aspect of this trick is cool, but I feel as if most spectators believe normal OOTW versions are hands off anyways.

I do a few different versions of OOTW, but the strongest version I do right now is cosmos duo using the cooler deck switch (allowing them to shuffle and examine the deck to start the trick). I spread the cards and take out the 4 aces, get the spectator to try to put the two red aces and two black aces in different piles, and do my deck switch while they're concentrating on the 4 aces. the cooler also works a bit better with only 48 cards anyways.

however, I could see myself doing this trick more as an encore version of OOTW. because with other verions, maybe they'll think I did some fancy sleight of hand or whatever. so if I fry them with one version of OOTW, and then they want to see it again... it would be cool to do this verison because then you can emphsize how you're not touching the deck at all and they're doing all the work. and since the method for this is quite different from other OOTW versions, it will be very tough for the spectator to figure it out. the spectator will probably think that both versions use the same method and they wont really be able to work it out.

so I think for me, this could be a great follow-up to cosmos duo because the effect looks very similar from the spectators point of view, but the methods are very different. and you can see how they react to cosmos duo to see if they're examining the cards... if they don't look at them, you can encourage them to examine the cards the first time around and then they will be less likely to want to examine them once you repeat this effect (and you can judge the first time whether or not this spectator is likely to want to examine the cards).

cause when you do cosmos duo or any other version of OOTW, they maybe don't really know what's supposed to happen so they're not paying as much attention to things as maybe they could be. so if you do this verison second, they'll be paying super close attention and be watching for any tricky moves that you do... so when they shuffle and make all the decisions and you never even come close to touching the cards... they should be fried again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mad World-A HANDS OFF OOTW by David Cushing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL