The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Celebrities whose deaths genuinely upset you and why. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
LOL!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Elvis Presley comes to mind. My mother who passed away at age 89 in 2011 adored Elvis Presley. She had Don't be Cruel and the flip side, Hound Dog on a 78 when I was a youngster about eight years old. I wasn't much of a fan of his until later when his music became more developed. Still, he was a part of my youth and anytime you lose a bit of your youth, a bit of you also dies.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The only two I can think of is John Wayne and Bob Hope. They were both strong patriots that have done a lot for veterans.
Dennis Michael
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
As one of the "artsy alternative kids" at the time, Kurt Cobaine's death was upsetting. Moreso because I read interviews with him about his daughter and thought what a horrible thing that was to do to that little girl. By a coincidence, one of his high school teachers moved here and became one of my high school teachers.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Mine seem to be musicians. I rememeber waking up one morning to a radio report that Terry Kath of Chicago had accidentally shot himself in the head. I was devastated. The second was woke up one morning to hear a report that 4 members of a jazz group called Chase had died in a plane crash including the founder, Bill Chase. Again, devastated. I wasn't very affected by John Lennon's death at the time, but on a recent trip to NY at Thanksgiving, a guide there showed up where he was shot at outside his apartment building and I suddenly felt very sad. Most recent was Aldo Colombini. What a shame.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Richard Manuel's suicide shook me very badly. I had no idea he mattered to me. The Last Waltz is now oddly somber for me.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I second Aldo, not only a celeb but a personal friend.
A lot of people mention John Lennon but no mentioned his band mate, George Harrison.
Another shocker to me was the death of John "Bonzo" Bonham. I wasn't ready for the end of Led Zepplin.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On , Dennis Michael wrote:
9/11 took a toll on me, as well as Benghazi.

9/11 took a toll on me too. I was mad as hell when it happenned. I also agree with you about John Wayne. He was a great patriot and a good man even though he recieved some criticism for his war movies, he's still a great man in my book. Bob Hope also of course did a lot for the troops.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I seem to have a habit of becoming fans of people and then discovering that they had recently passed. This happened with Junior Wells, Dai Vernon, and a few others. I'm always pretty upset to learn that I've "just missed them."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On , critter wrote:
I seem to have a habit of becoming fans of people and then discovering that they had recently passed. This happened with Junior Wells, Dai Vernon, and a few others. I'm always pretty upset to learn that I've "just missed them."

You should check out Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Capote.". Great actor...I think he won the Oscar.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Pete Seeger was pretty upsetting. We were raised on his songs, and our children know them too. My younger son's first word was "cock-a-do-do". He was in the back of the car and it was a request to hear Pete Seeger singing "I had a rooster". Happy times. On top of all his wonderful work on civil rights, he made the whole world sing. Bless you, Pete.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Fred Rogers.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On , LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On , critter wrote:

You should check out Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Capote.". Great actor...I think he won the Oscar.

Was already a fan of that one Smile
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Brandon Lee.

And if there's not a magician out there somewhere named "Heath Legerdemain" then there is something seriously wrong with the world.
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On , critter wrote:
Brandon Lee.

And if there's not a magician out there somewhere named "Heath Legerdemain" then there is something seriously wrong with the world.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On , Daryl -the other brother wrote:
I second Aldo, not only a celeb but a personal friend.
A lot of people mention John Lennon but no mentioned his band mate, George Harrison.
Another shocker to me was the death of John "Bonzo" Bonham. I wasn't ready for the end of Led Zepplin.
George Harrison's death wasn't as shocking to me because he was ill with cancer. John's was a shock.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Shocking -No
Upsetting-Yes
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Not sure if Looy Simonoff counts as a proper celebrity, but I was very sad at his death. Not that it was a surprise. When I first met Looy, he was already an old man. (He had about ten years left, turned out.)

When I first met him, all I knew about him was that he was a math professor at UNLV... I had no idea he was a magician. I was a math major at UNLV, so I would talk to him about math. At some point I showed him a card trick that I was sure would confound him -- I was very cocky in my abilities, having read one or possibly even TWO magic books at the time. He was a very gracious about the whole thing. Then, still very graciously, he rained down magical blow after magical blow until I finally realized how much "room for improvement" I had.

Eventually I moved from Las Vegas to Boston, but I'd still come back at least once a year. I'd always make it a point to find Looy.

There's only one other person -- friends and family included -- whose death affected me as deeply. (That other person, Milton Sobel, was also a Looy-Simonoff-type figure, but in statistics.)
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Iris Murdoch.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On , tomsk192 wrote:
Iris Murdoch.

Anyone who calls her book "A Severed Head" is ok by me.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Celebrities whose deaths genuinely upset you and why. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL