The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Celebrities whose deaths genuinely upset you and why. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
Anyone who calls her book "A Severed Head" is ok by me.

Ha! I love her novels (although they are not literary masterpieces by any means, more philosophical dramas), and she was a 'character' in Oxford when I was growing up. I remember being at a girlfriend's house and opening the door. There was Iris Murdoch and her husband, John Bayley, who was a noted figure in his own right. They were dinner guests.

What I said was, "Oh, hello, do come in."

What I thought was, "F*** me! That's bloody Iris Murdoch!" She was starting to develop dementia by that time, which was a cruel thing to happen to someone who was so immensely gifted intellectually.

My mother once attended a debate in Oxford about the Troubles [in Northern Ireland]. The panel of academics included Iris Murdoch, who was born in Dublin. She was the last to speak, after many long words had been spoken and many complex arguments put forward. Everybody in the room was on the edge of their seat to hear what the great Iris Murdoch had to say.

She said, "Ireland. It is a matter for tears." And as she silently wept on the stage, the room was silent for a long time.

I was genuinely upset when she died.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Mostly musicians for me, I think because of the influence they can have on a person's life. John Bonham (as mentioned above) was one, because I knew that Led Zeppelin died at the same time, but I also felt sadness when Harry Chapin died. "Taxi" is a song I really like.

I'm sure there are others, but I can't name them off the top of my head.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Spaulding Grey. But only because I had the chane to question him about his inability to experience happiness a few months before he commited suicide.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On , Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Shocking -No
Upsetting-Yes

My apologies Daryl, it was upestting. My bad.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On , Michael Baker wrote:
Mostly musicians for me, I think because of the influence they can have on a person's life. John Bonham (as mentioned above) was one, because I knew that Led Zeppelin died at the same time, but I also felt sadness when Harry Chapin died. "Taxi" is a song I really like.

I'm sure there are others, but I can't name them off the top of my head.

Me too Michael on Harry Chapin. My wife and I were planning our wedding at the time of his Cat's in the Cradle. I wish he was still here.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
dannywu
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of dannywu
Michael Jackson, grew up a fan, still a fan.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
Leonard Nimoy. He hasn't passed away yet, but I hate that he is sufferring right now due to smoking. Great actor. He also talks about the importance of staying away from cigarettes. He quit a long time ago but he waited too late to quit.

Did the Yul Brynner 'stop smoking' ads run in the USA also when he was dying of cancer? They ran for years here - hopefully his dying wish to save others from the same fate was fulfilled.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2015, Destiny wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
Leonard Nimoy. He hasn't passed away yet, but I hate that he is sufferring right now due to smoking. Great actor. He also talks about the importance of staying away from cigarettes. He quit a long time ago but he waited too late to quit.

Did the Yul Brynner 'stop smoking' ads run in the USA also when he was dying of cancer? They ran for years here - hopefully his dying wish to save others from the same fate was fulfilled.

I believe that they did.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
John Lennon: I'm a confirmed Beatles fan and it was so senseless. (Still cannot stand Catcher in the Rye, and I've never read it.)

Steve McQueen: an excellent actor who died far too young.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'd forgotten about this when I OP'd this thread. Frank Sinatra was another for me. I was so affected listening to the news of his death on the radio in my car on the way to work that I inadvertantly ended up speeding on I-95 in Lawrence Township, NJ. When the officer asked if I knew why he stopped me I admitted that I probably was speeding, not paying attention to the road upon hearing about Sinatra's death. I was also late for work. He let me go with a warning.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
I don't like death at all.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2015, tommy wrote:
I don't like death at all.

That kinda goes without saying don't ya think?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I've always gotten upset when any of the old 2nd City and early SNL cast members died. And Mel Brooks' cronies. Irreplaceable! I realize that I'll never get to see any new stuff from them...makes me sad every time.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
Some deaths to some are more equal than others, as can be seen by the dancing in the streets don’t you think?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Ernie Kovaks
Peter Lorre
Boris Karloff
Walt Disney
Janis Joplin
Christopher George
Carol Wayne
Moe Howard
Keith Moon
Graham Chapman
Harry Blackstone Jr.
David DeVal
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Salvador Sanchez, world featherweight boxing champion.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
I was slightly hacked off when Oliver Reed died, as I always fancied going on a bender with him.
As for being "genuinely upset" at the death of a celebrity, I think if you are, you need a bit of therapy.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I never considered that George Burns would actually die some day.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Who were the celebrities who died in those places and how and why did their deaths effect you?

Barbara Olson - She would have been a major force in the political world if she wasn't murdered on 911. IMHO
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
John Lennon - I officially became "old" the moment I heard the news.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Celebrities whose deaths genuinely upset you and why. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL