The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Deans Set vs Expanded shell Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Hiya, I am looking to purchase a Deans Set in Walking Liberty's or an expanded shell set, the reason I am torn between the two is that ideally I want to perform Dean Dills Call Shot routine, this uses a purse palm, and wondered if the smaller deans set coins would make it slightly harder to do or whether the expanded shell set would be better as the coins are the original size? also lassen,schoolcraft or keuppers which one would you choose? the other thing also is that with a deans set the edges are remilled so I was thinking it might be easier to do a purse palm with those coins? hmmm....?
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Hey Daren,

As an AVID coin guy, I can ONLY suggest Jamie's work. IMO, he is the best! You won't be sorry and his service is superb.

-Eaton
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
The shaved down coins (aka deans coins) are only a tiny bit smaller than regular coins in terms of diameter, so it shouldn't affect your palm all that much. Personally, I prefer expanded shell sets because it is a lot easier to replace the regular coins if you ever lose them (shaved coins are a pain to replace because they have to be the exact same size for the shell). I've personally ordered from schoolcraft, lassen and kueppers before. They are all excellent, but I would recommend Lassen's work as they are a lot cheaper than Schoolcraft's for similar quality. He also recently promised a turn around time of only two weeks for shell sets.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2014, Dentian wrote:
They are all excellent, but I would recommend Lassen's work as they are a lot cheaper than Schoolcraft's for similar quality.

This is what frightens me. I'm a believer in "cheap is expensive". I've actually held both shells in my hand. Todd's and Jamie's. IMO, there is no comparison.
Dentian
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Dentian
I guess it also depends upon what sized shells you have, I have dollar sized shells and Lassen's honestly feel a lot better. I think people may not like how Lassen shells are a bit lighter/thinner, but I think it makes a better vacuum fit even for the expanded shells. I can only speak for the DOLLAR sized shells from lassen and schoolcraft.
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
THIS SHOULD BE MOVED TO TRICK COIN TRICKERY
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
IMO, when half dollars are cut down for a Dean's set, they end up looking like big quarters.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Deans Set vs Expanded shell Set (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL