We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good teachers: your opinion (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
673 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2014, Ihop wrote:
Harry,
The topic is: teachers on video, not books.
Perhaps, you can start a thread on books.

Harry teaches on video too and it's just as good if not better than his books.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8520 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks, Bulla, I was just about to tell Mr. Knowledgeable the same thing!! Perhaps he should do a bit more research, no?
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
678 Posts

Profile of brandon90
Dai Vernon.

"If you don't believe that ball is in your hand... then they won't either"

I don't do cups and balls.. I do mostly card magic.. but I always keep that in mind. If you don't believe the card is appearing at the top of the pack or passing thru a bill or changing locations, how will they?

I love The Professors videos, he's the best.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6988 Posts

Profile of Dougini
All of the above, plus:

Dr. Michael Rubinstein!

Doug
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8520 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hey, Ihop, just curious --- how come you didn't announce ("The topic is: teachers on video, not books.") to metaljohn when he listed me among DVDS?! And he posted early in the morning of Feb. 26th whereas I didn't until that evening. Yes, a bit of research would be good for you, but this has nothing to do with research. Interesting, and as I said - just da*n curious. And there's a site on youtube of me performing 35 or so items, many of which are taught on my 4-volume "Best Ever" DVD set. That DVD set has been out (originally on video) for a decade or more. Research??!!

Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1577 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Harry,
I'm asking for other opinions. The purpose is "magicians helping magicians.

I didn't think research was necessary when asking for others' opinions.
In any case, I'm aware of your videos.
Just not one of my favorites. There are many others that have a better teaching style.
Your books are another story. I feel there are very well written.
No need to fish or bully for compliments.
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1577 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I'm away for a few days and I don't always have WiFi available.
So I won't be checking here that often.
Ihor
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8520 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Good! And thanks so much for your definition - "magicians helping magicians". I've been doing that for OVER SIX DECADES. I have yet to see where YOU are doing the same. And I gave you exactly what you asked for - MY OPINION. Just like your opinions about my teaching style. And NO, research isn't necessary when you ask for others' opinions, it IS NECESSARY when you state YOUR opinion. And finally, you're right - there's no need to "fish or bully" for compliments. I don't need or want compliments from you or other unknowledgeable people, and I've been bullied since I was a little boy - I've written about that a number of times - DO SOME RESEARCH! One thing I learned as a boy, and to this day, is that if you let bullies get away with it they will continue the bullying - you are an excellent example of just that - in MY OPINION.

RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
I enjoy Aldo Colombini's videos. He's a fun performer to watch, and I think has a knack of making the viewer feel like they can do it too. His explanations are direct, which I appreciate.
rockkid
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of rockkid
In my opinion, Daryl, Harry Lorayne and Dai Vernon are the best, but I haven't seen an enormous amount of videos!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
These are the the ones I think are the most outstanding:

Daryl
John Carney
Johnny Thompson
Michael Ammar

They teach not only the how, but the why.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1577 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Yes, Colombini.
He makes learning fun.
Ihor
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5020 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Allan Ackerman is a excellent teacher, sure. A master with a deck of cards.

Check out his fine dvds here:
http://www.allanackerman.com/
nwanstall
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of nwanstall
As has been mentioned countless times already, Jay Sankey is an amazing teacher. He is always very clear and he makes the learning experience very enjoyable. Someone who reminds me of Jay Sankey, in terms of teaching style, is Chris Mayhew. If you've purchased any of his stuff before, you probably know what I mean.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Is this post only about teachers of card magic, or can it be any genre of magic as it seems only card magic we are talking about at the moment.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
George>>>>>I opened this thread, because I saw your name. I think you usually have "something to say" NOT JUST have to "say something"!!!

Reading down the thread, I inferred the same thing you appear to have inferred. Most of the responders SEEM to be cardicians.

I agree that most of those mentioned as "great teachers". I know Daryl--we worked the Castle the same week. I knew Johnny before he became TOMSONI! He, and Michael Ammmar and I have worked the same conventions. I've known John Carney since we met at Holland Shepherd's home in the '70s! They are IMO, not only great PERFORMERS, they are darn good TEACHERS. Aldo and "the Professor" and I have worked the same conventions, ditto their talents! There are others listed above--I can't remember all of them,and if I scroll back,I may lose what I've alredy written, so I'll quit.

Again, IMO, Harry Lorayne makes a good point. (Harry does more than cards!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OK! I just scrolled back to the first page.

Eugene Burger and I "go back" to the '70s, when we often visited at Magic Inc. --Haven't seen Gene since Mardi Gras in N.O. 10 yeaars ago. Doc Eason, I only met once, at his lecture in Kalamazoo. --He "done good"! George Schindler does a fine lecture (practical material, that he has USED. Haven't seen him since we feasted on those "midget oysters" in New Orleans. All three of those guys KNOW their stuff--AND, KNOW HOW TO SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS.

An important point that I always emphasize to those whom I've mentored, and. also, those for whom I have lectured, is: I can't really TEACH you anything, I can only HELP YOU LEARN, because learning is an ACTIVE procedure!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Dick, thanks for your kind words. I have like you been involved in magic since the 70s and have met some very good performers who weren't very good teachers. Likewise I have met good teachers who weren't very good performers. I can remember Davenports magic shop on a Saturday morning, watching the likes of Pat Page (who worked there at the time) ,Bobby Bernard and others. They were all good teachers, and more importantly, they always had the time to advise you if you needed help. The one person who helped me most was a guy called John Auckland, most people will never have heard of him. He was one of those who had everything planned down to the last second, music, routines everything. I can recall trying to learn the back palm from a book, just couldn't grasp it, an hour sat with him and I at least knew what I was supposed to be doing.
Remember, in those days there were no videos, you learn everything from books, or by being shown if you were lucky enough.
Rambling a bit now, so to get back on topic Juan Tamariz is a very good teacher as well as being a great performer.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
725 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I have enjoyed (I include what videos I have seen)

John Mendoza - My Best vol 1-3

Michael Vincent - Elegant Deceptions vol 1-3, The Classic Magic of Michael Vincent vol 1-3

Daryl - Expert Rope Magic Made Easy vol 1-3, Fooler Doolers vol 1-3, Master Course Sponge Balls vol 1-4, Encyclopedia of Card Sleights vol 1-9 (I haven't watched every minute of these, but what I have seen is wonderful), Card Revelations vol 1-5, Ambitious Card, Odd Quad

Harry Lorayne - Best Ever Collection vol 1-4, Magical Classics vol 1-2

Dan Harlan - Magic with Rubberbands vol 1-3, Penguin Lecture x 2

Daniel Garcia - Daniel Garcia Project vol 1-4 (haven't watched 5 or 6), Penguin Live Lecture

Al Schneider - The Al Schneider Technique vol 1-4 (vol 1 is worth every penny)

Eric Jones - Metal vol 1-3, Audio, Extension of Me vol 1-3

Richard Sanders - Fiber Optics Extended, The Richard Sanders Show vol 1-2,

Jeff Sheridan - Sheridan Course in Card Manipulation vol 1-3, Also in World's Greatest Magic videos

Roberto Giobbi - Card College vol 1-2, Penguin Live Lecture

Levent - Ultimate Guide to the Billiard Balls

Michael Rubenstein - Penguin Live Lecture

David Roth - Expert Coin Magic Made Easy vol 1-3, Penguin Live Lecture

Hope that helps you out. I'm sure that my list will grow in time, but it is complete for now.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
725 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
That should be Michael Rubinstein. His penguin live lecture is wonderful. It shows practical coin work and the magic builds on the techniques he shows.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good teachers: your opinion (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL