The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good teachers: your opinion (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
All of these are top notch teachers, but I have to add Jeff McBride to the list.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6842 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I am glad someone besides me, agrees Dr. Michael Rubinstein's teaching ability with coins is supurb! The Encylopedia Of Coins Sleights, specifically. Also, Knockout Coin Magic!

Doug
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
712 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Doug he also has some of the best dry jokes around, well at least I like them.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Dr. Rubinstein was a lecturer at our SAM meeting.
I bought one of his DVD's. I agree, he is an excellent teacher.
Ihor
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5417 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2014, Kbuck54 wrote:
All of these are top notch teachers, but I have to add Jeff McBride to the list.
Keith Shazam

Kbuck54...you are spot on. I'm not a fan of Jeff's style of magic, but have always admired his skill, experience, and knowledge of the magic arts. It's a cliche statement, but he's forgotten more about magic than I'll ever know.

That aside, it wasn't until I began reading articles by him that I really came to appreciate his teaching skills. Magic experience and knowledge is one thing, but Jeff is so eloquent in his explanations, and positive in his teachings, that one is immediately drawn into the learning process. He seems to truly be a magic Sensei.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Wiz,
You hit the nail on the head. Jeff is the one that gave me the Shazam, at one of his classes. What's the old joke that Michael Ammar tells about Jeff's latest DVD / It's called " All the Tricks I do Better Than You."
No really. I love that guy.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
I agree with all that are stated so far. Along with Jay Sankey I have to include Gregory Wilson how likes to add comedy while teaching and keeps the teaching fun.

Also I have to say the great Tommy Wonder was brilliant teacher of the why and of the outside the box thinkers
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
I think one of the best teachers that was on here was Mark Lewis.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
712 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I forgot to mention Christopher T. Magician with his web episodes and Dvd Live From the Living Room. He doesn't just go into detail he gives you new ideas and little tidbits that you can run with. Reminds me of a Harry Lorayne, but on kids magic. And it is entertaining to watch also.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
659 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Roberto Giobbi has the wonderful ability to teach magic in written words…Take Card College for example.
I wasn't so sure how he would do on video until I saw this: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3961

Incredible. One of my favorite magic teachers of all time!
LewisF
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of LewisF
Daryl, Matthew Dowden and Bill Malone

Daryl is a great teacher with gentle jokes (less jarring than jay sankey) and he always has tones of extra information regarding history and little known uses, methods and subtleties.

Matthew Dowden has a clear explanation method and though he might not stand out, he's a great teacher with nice pacing and a generally candid appeal.

Bill Malone has a huge difference in presentation in his explanation and performance but he explains stuff very well with nice anecdotes in between.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
I've personally derived great benefit from Daryl (fooler dooler series), Sankey (the very best of series), Malone (on the loose series), and Colombini (the essential series).

There are several who have been cited by others here who I do not own material from and thus their ommission from my mini list is no reflection on them.

Amongst those given very few citations I'd like to give a big thumbs up to Richard Sanders, not only for fibre optics (as cited by someone else) but also for his excellent 3 disc dvd series 'The Richard Sanders Show'. I learnt a lot off that set delivered in a crystal-clear & accessible fashion by Richard.
mrsmiles
(UK)
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Like the list, I would remove sankey and replace him with Dan Tong.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1004 Posts

Profile of Ado
I'll only tell about books. So far, No author I've read topped Roberto Giobbi from his Card College.

P!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8479 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Gee, Ado, I sure tried!!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6842 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Sorry Harry! Ya can't please 'em all! Smile

For cards, yes, Harry Lorayne! Daryl and Ammar are good ones too! For coins, Rubinstein, Roth... I like Mike Gallo too. I think your best teachers are going to be one-on-one. For example, I bet Harry Lorayne COULD teach me to Back Palm and do the Classic Pass, neither of which I can do (yet).

Doug
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8479 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I realize that ya can't please 'em all - I was just wondering if he's read my stuff. Not important at all. Best - HL.

realErdnase
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of realErdnase
I have learned so much from harry lorayne and pop haydn and vinny and the rest of the card magic magicians and I think if you view the card magic forum there are many good magicians there who teach a lot and show you how it is suppose to be done!
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1004 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Gee, Ado, I sure tried!!!

I believe you did. I've read some your books, as well as many other books by other magicians. It is well informed that I deliberately chose not to write your name, no matter what other people think.

P!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8479 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Of course, Ado. I'll just keep on tryin'!!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good teachers: your opinion (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL