The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Smartphone preferences (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Jon: I use my iPhone in every show. But the audience never sees it or knows it's there.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I never use it, even not in David's context ... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I respect everyone's views and completely understand how gimmicky apps can look. There are a *few* however where your phone is never visible...
I know the phrase is a bit overplayed but we often hear about making bullets "psychologically invisible" - I do think this is a concept that can stretch or modernize with the times. I get the feeling sometimes instead of wanting to push the art forward... we have such respect for the foundations that we may get stuck in the past occasionally.
I'm part of a few different mentalism groups and being one of the youngest voices has given me a perspective that I was constantly scared to share for a while. But after growing and (casually) performing for a few years now I do think we can take advantage of tech in a way that most seem to frown on. My contributions lately have been getting a lot of love from MUCH greater minds than myself, even from app developers themselves, on this board, on FB etc. And I'm not doing much other than allowing my mind to accept the possibility that tech can be "psychologically invisible" if we work hard on being natural and hard on the routining and scripting.
Just some food for thought...
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Lol billets not bullets.
W. Mercury
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of W. Mercury
In case of magic tricks, one google search will get you to many online magic shops. In that sense, everyone has access to secrets(if they are willing to pay for them).
For some mentalism manuscripts you will have to dig little deeper, but IMO it's publicly available all the same.
You will still have to pay for those applications, as you might already know Smile
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
It's the iPhone 5 for me. This is with me every where I go, I mean every where. In fact, I'm typing from it right now as I always do. It's my personal computer that acts as a phone. I also own an android tablet but prefer the iOS system better as I like the lay out and features more, just a personal thing.

To be honest, I was against apps to perform with up until very recently but I've been making a reputation off of a particular app, it even got me a lead tonight. It's not a "check out my phone and look what I got on it" type thing, it makes sense as to why I'm using it and when presented properly, is very, I mean very powerful. I agree that most are just way to "magicy" for mentalism but there is the odd one that in the right hands and in the right situation, can be worth the the price of admission.
Twitter @darjames
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2014, W. Mercury wrote:
In case of magic tricks, one google search will get you to many online magic shops. In that sense, everyone has access to secrets(if they are willing to pay for them).
For some mentalism manuscripts you will have to dig little deeper, but IMO it's publicly available all the same.
You will still have to pay for those applications, as you might already know Smile

Anyone casually browing the app stores can find the magic apps. It doesn't even require a Google search.
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
...And I certainly wouldn't want to use ANY app that could be purchased at a publicly accessible app store.

The above quote got me thinking a bit. Out of curiousity, do all apps for an iPhone have to be sold within the itunes appstore thus making them for the general public? I assume so because Apple has to approve the apps. It would be interesting to see what mentalists could come up with more independently if that was allowed and that didn't have to be a worry. I've been thinking tonight of how the phone could be used as a tool over a prop and the possibilities of that. I wish I had the ability to develop technology, but if I was capable I wouldn't want what I developed to be available to laymen or the public.
mixman
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Colorado
294 Posts

Profile of mixman
Mastermindreader wrote

"As a mentalist, why would I need a phone?"

LOL!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I'm glad someone's picking up on the jokes!
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2014, David Thiel wrote:

An effect performed using an iPhone sets all eyes onto the iPhone. Why would you want that?

This tends to be the crux of the argument for those that eschew smartphones. How would you defend the exact same statement but for replacing the word iPhone with the word billet? Reread the statement and do the mental substitution. Both statements carry the same amount of validity--which to me, isn't a whole lot.

Just because many apps are too transparent doesn't invalidate the use of the tool itself. The best apps are psychologically invisible and when using them spectators will have no idea you're up to something surreptitiously.

It also hinges on context and the performers ability to casually use such a tool. It also requires the pro or "semi-pro" (my apologies to Dick Christian, R.I.P.) to critically routine their effects to maximize any inherent camouflage.

But as always it comes down to personal choice. If you, personally, are uncomfortable using phones or billets, then don't use them. But that doesn't mean that others can't or won't be successful with these things. It's just a bit too short-sighted to categorically denounce something just because you don't care for it.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2014, Jon W. wrote:

The above quote got me thinking a bit. Out of curiousity, do all apps for an iPhone have to be sold within the itunes appstore thus making them for the general public?

No they do not. If you have a corporate app license you can sell and distribute the apps yourself. However, in a commercial setting it typically requires that you give the customer the application file to install onto iTunes. At that point there is nothing stopping them from posting it on the Internet and letting anyone grab it. For a very small and limited release you can code certain things into the app so it will only run on valid users' phones, but unless they were priced exorbitantly you would probably never make back your development cost.

B2B Magazine Test!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2014, Steven Keyl wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2014, David Thiel wrote:

An effect performed using an iPhone sets all eyes onto the iPhone. Why would you want that?

But as always it comes down to personal choice. If you, personally, are uncomfortable using phones or billets, then don't use them. But that doesn't mean that others can't or won't be successful with these things. It's just a bit too short-sighted to categorically denounce something just because you don't care for it.

I take your point, Steve. No offense intended. My words weren't chosen as well as they should have been.

These were (and are) my opinions. I think you're grabbing to equate a piece of paper with a smart phone, but I DO take your point.

What other people use in their performances is entirely their business. It wasn't my intent to tell other people what to use. If that was the tone of my post, I stand corrected.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
No offense taken, David. And if my post sounded like I was singling you out, which was never my intent, then I could have done a better job framing the larger point. In fact, I think we're rather more like-minded on this point than not.

For me, the biggest danger of smartphone apps is their misuse by people that assume the phone will "do all the work". It still requires a lot of practice to introduce and use the tool in a natural way. Most people focus on the modus operandi of the apps themselves but the routining and ability to bring a phone into play without arousing suspicion requires a great deal of forethought and practice that most people don't want to invest.

With billets, since they don't "do anything" by themselves it is clear that practice is required to make them as innocuous and irrelevant as possible. Tech, in general, entices people to believe that the same level of practice isn't necessary, but it is. Watching someone stumble through a routine using a phone is just as painful as watching someone stumble through a routine using a center tear. In both cases the main culprit is usually a lack of practice and routining.

B2B Magazine Test!

DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
If its not obvious already, I am on the exact same page as Steven.

I've personally used phones and fooled people worse than using billets. For some of you out there, try to think from a different perspective - there is a LARGE portion of young people who NEVER write things down these days. They just didn't grow up with that world.

To them, writing something down on a billet, even with GREAT misdirection and psychology, feels REALLY unnatural. But THAT person, browsing on THEIR phone seems VERY natural. There are apps like Rostami's WONDERFUL Telefoto that allow a spec to do EXACTLY that (secretly sending you the info) - YOUR phone is NEVER in play.

A little perspective goes a long way my friends.

With that said, they are ALL tools - I love using billets, phones, paper, pens, cards, reciepts, whatever is around. I'm sure we all can agree on making the most of the tools you have...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Smartphone preferences (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL