The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Power of Framing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
We sometimes maybe underestimate the power of framing.

My family is the ones I first test any of my material and some of them know a lot of the methods. Like the fact that I can force cards, control cards and etc.

Still..when you have a very good effect and you frame it as something believable, even people that should know better, that know that there is a trick to all of them tricks Smile buy into your story.

For example, today I was with my sister to get a coffee and chat and I did a bunch of effects for her. I framed one of them as me reading the subtle differences in her voice and body language to know the card she was thinking of.

She knew that there was no way I could have forced the card because she took what card she wanted while my back was turned. She knew I could not have controled the card because she put it where she wanted. She knew I could have not used a key card because she put the card one one of the multiple packets in which the deck was divided and assembled them in an order she wanted and then she cut the deck multiple times ( I don't even know if she knows about key cards anyway...but ha ha Smile )

So after I did it she was amazed and she was saying I should not say the method that I am using - I should not tell people that I am using body language and detect differences in their voices because then they will know how I do it and they will not wonder as much maybe.

After some time I told her that its actually another method there is no body language or reading of the voice differences. And she was like: No, you are lying it to me because there is no other way you could have done it. I am sure you used body language and differences of tonality in my voice.

So as long as you frame it good. Even people who know you do magic will sometime think you have skills that you really don't have.

Frame your effects. Don't just do them. Make them real.

Regards, Marian
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5687 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Marian, you shouldn't have told her the true workings were not the subtle reading you were doing. Smile

Derren Brown has become famous because he does this framing a lot.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Well shes my sister! But anyway she did not believe me that I wasn't using body language and I did not tell her the real method.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5687 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Ok then... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
I thunk, therefore I erm...
177 Posts

Profile of edwardsausagefingers
I agree with the gist of your post, Marian - and I also think your sister makes a good point. Smile What if as she suggested, you did not explicitly state that you were using body language and voice tone but merely implied it through your actions? What's that quote about "the most convincing lie is the one they tell themselves".
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2527 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Did she question if you can do this with cards,could you do it with other examples?
tricky360
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of tricky360
Hi Marion,
Great story, I also use framing and time delay in my effects, and it definitely makes the effect stronger in the spectators mind. Also when they go on to tell somebody else the effect they also unwittingly embellish the effect, making it seem even stronger.

Also, telling a spectator how it's not done, they are more likely to believe that is the true method, if done correctly. Smile

Best, Michael.
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
A step in the grand direction Smile
NADO
«How much of a gift it would be to really know what someone is thinking of?»
- Steeve Blanchet, news anchor, TVA
«Here is someone that truly uses his powers for good.»
- David Meclomesnil, weekend radio.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1374 Posts

Profile of MDantes
I have seen framing make or break the effect.

Planning and confidence will get you where you want to be.

Nice topic. Thank you for sharing.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I think that this post is great. I've been studying mentalism for a year and this is such an important aspect.you need to know your abilities. The more believable and concrete you can make the abilities the better. I follow Bob Cassidy's advice. Choose only a few abilities. The more abilities you claim, the less believable. I also believe in a situation like this you should make each phase more incredible- read pulse, listen to the voice, then watch the eyes. This leads from contact to completely hands off and a quiet spectator.
Limitless
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Limitless
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2014, twistedace wrote:
You need to know your abilities. The more believable and concrete you can make the abilities the better. I follow Bob Cassidy's advice. Choose only a few abilities. The more abilities you claim, the less believable.

Great post and so interesting. I remember seeing a Lamborghini sales man framing the fact that the Lambo didn't have electronic seat adjustment was a good thing in a £200k car.

"I don't fear the man who has practised a thousand kicks once, I fear the man who has practised one kick a thousand times" Bruce Lee Smile
mattyboy4242
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of mattyboy4242
Peter Turner has some fantastic work on framing and reframing. I would highly recommended it.
Matt Chalk
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
166 Posts

Profile of Matt Chalk
I think its so important to frame what you are doing with mentalism in your spectators mind

I don't like the idea of not having to justify why you are doing what you are doing purely because in my mind the spectator will begin to question why you did, exactly what you did.

A good example is the classic center tear.

Why would you have someone right down a piece of information on a piece of paper only to have it ripped up and destroyed moments later, to me that would immediately raise alarm bells in my spectators mind. However if you justify it by saying that someone "messed you up last week" and then moments later "I don't think you're the kind of person to mess me up are you", to me makes the effect much stronger.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1374 Posts

Profile of MDantes
PTurner is ah mazing at this!

Pete's work is inspiring period.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
tricky360
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of tricky360
Good first post Matt. ;-)

Nice justification. Smile
mike herbert
View Profile
New user
mike herbert
50 Posts

Profile of mike herbert
Personally I believe that framing and presentation is the real secret of magic and its allied arts. Not just the tricks but your act and personality, you have to know what you are, and importantly, what you are trying to say. I believe that this applies to pretty much everything in life.

I work as a non magical entertainer, and my experience is that if I visit groups after “the magician”, more often than not they are discussing how things were done. I would say that 50% of the time, they deduce the correct solution (and I am talking about the staple effects of magicians/mentalists) the rest of the time they arrive at a plausible solution to keep them satisfied. In my opinion this debases magic and puts it as mere tricks designed to fool you. I firmly believe that with the right presentation you could make “woofle dust” fly past them. Also why on earth would you want to leave an audience trying to figure out “how it was done”

The magician would be better to find an angle that runs through the act so that when he leaves the audience they are discussing him and what he wants them to be discussing rather than the solution to the trick. Eg if you were to say that you are an expert card cheat and manipulator of cards, and your presentation was right you would probably only need to learn a couple of flourishes and deck switch, to hold the audiences attention, better than the person who can do every sleight and can’t really present it.

YOUR PREMISE IS EVERYTHING AND IT SHOULD INFORM YOUR ACT

Knowing your premise makes the whole process of choosing effects and presentation one hell of a lot easier, with the added bonus that there is some sense to what you are doing. When you leave your audience they will be talking about you and your amazing abilities. Should they try to establish how it was done then they will be assured by Mr know it all that it was down to whatever you said it was, as you will have ensured that you have also led him up the garden path as well.

To me, the presentation is the hardest aspect, which is why I don’t perform magic at the moment. I would really like to write a lot more about this sometime as it might inform me as to “what I want to say”.

Of course this is a mentalism page so I probably don’t need to tell you all this, you know, sucking eggs an all that. Unfortunately in the real world (at least in a close up setting) it is rare that I see it with any level of consistency.

You folks may disagree with me, and that is fine, but it is what I truly believe.

Mike
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17910 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I was gonna say... shouldn't this be at the backbone of everything we do? correct and suitable framing of who you are and what you do helps build consistency and emotional buy into what you are sharing...
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1374 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Yeah you're right Iain.

You're absolutely right.

It's nice watching people that are good at it.

You are another one with amazing frames.

Phill Smith too:)
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Marian, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Good words!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17910 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You like our glasses!!!��
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Power of Framing (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL