The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sleight School now up and running Online (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Redfoot
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Redfoot
@Xavior I most definitely will. It's a shame this didn't play out a few days ago because I'd still be over there.

@Lee Stan I disagree. I once *accidentally* downloaded an entire instruction manual for some complicated video editing software that shall remain nameless and because I couldn't get on with it I gave up. If I really wanted to learn and I committed to it I would have paid for it and stuck with it. I would have made that investment. People are going to see "This is how to Erdnase Bottom Palm" on a torrent site and think 'Yeah, awesome, I'll take me some of that'. They then download it, find it's really hard to do right and then just leave it. They didn't pay for anything so it means nothing for them to not bother. There might be a minority who actually want to learn and start by torrenting some videos, but if they get truly into it and want to learn more then they'll be taken in by this whole community and join the masses - those who spend every opportunity they can practising and commit to idea that you don't get anything for free if you want to perfect your art.

As I said in my very first post on the Café, I was seduced by the invisible deck and just had to know how it was done. So I did some research and I bought one. I could've just searched for the answer and I most definitely would have found what I wanted, but then I'd never be able to actually perform that trick for myself. I've got a box full of gimmicked decks that I'm more than likely never going to use again, but each time I saw a trick that I just could not for the life of me work out for myself, I bought it. Then, of course, I slapped myself in the head and said "OF COURSE THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE HOW DID I NOT THINK OF THAT MYSELF?!".

The difference is sleightschool isn't revealing secrets like that, and it's not going to be a breeding ground for kids with a passing interest who think it'd be a great idea to learn a method for a trick quickly and easily, because it's not gimmickeddecksrevealed.com. Again, there's the nefarious individuals that want it free, but when it's free it become valueless. Have you ever been bought a drink and not finished it, thinking to yourself it's ok because you didn't pay for it? If you'd paid for it, it's because you wanted it and you're going to enjoy it to the very end.

I showed a close friend of mine a colour change because I was drunk and he really wanted to know how it was done. I swore him to secrecy and to this day he has kept his word, even though he couldn't get it right and gave up. If I'd shown him the trick and told him where he could download the instructions for free, it would be the same situation - he would have tried, failed and given up. If I'd shown him the trick and then told him where he could buy the instructions, I 100% guarantee he wouldn't have bothered even starting.

The desire to learn how something is done and the desire to learn how to do something are very different things.

Edited for terrible, terrible grammar.
Redfoot
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Redfoot
@Lee Stan rereading your comment perhaps I misinterpreted it - you say that the videos are made for those who are willing to put the time in, whereas I read it as the videos will be viewed by those who are willing to put the time in. In which case then yes, you're right, but the discussion is not about the makers of the videos and the perception of their audience, but about the audience themselves.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2014, Shayde Phoenix wrote:
If you want to see something really fun Critter, youtube Masked Magician Fails. He bombs HORRIBLY the most basic card effect live on a breakfast TV show and has no recovery. It'll make you feel a lot better. Smile

Found it. I loved how it just kept getting worse and worse Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Shayde Phoenix
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
116 Posts

Profile of Shayde Phoenix
I know, right? Smile

Best performance that guy has ever put on!

"You did something very special!"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
If it matters to anyone: when I do the effect he was attempting I use two decks and have the volunteer follow my moves. In the end I turn over the four queens and then they turn over four aces, so they "win." This fits my character. Also when they ask how I did that I say "I didn't, you did. You're really good!" Everyone always seems to have a lot of fun when I do it this way.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
(in other words, I combine it with a "do as I do" because it's easier than explaining everything just right verbally and I have a short attention span) Smile
~Will Rogers
XaviorSpade
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
124 Posts

Profile of XaviorSpade
This week we will release about 6 videos on coins all taught by Kainoa Harbottle. Watching through them I've already learned some awesome tips for things I thought I understood. I'm sure you'll pick something up as well!
Shayde Phoenix
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
116 Posts

Profile of Shayde Phoenix
Nice touch Critter! Smile

I like it.

It seems "You did something VERY special". LOL
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
"You found the five aces!"
~Will Rogers
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Much success with this endeavor.
XaviorSpade
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
124 Posts

Profile of XaviorSpade
The Official addition to Sleight School Learn a bit more about Kainoa and his thoughts on coin magic. Plus a quick intro into the first steps into your coin magic journey!

http://sleightschool.com/portfolio/kainoa-harbottle/
XaviorSpade
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
124 Posts

Profile of XaviorSpade
We have officially announced Chris Wiehl as another instructor of sleight school. Read a bit about him and even watch a video talking about whats upcoming with him and Sleight School

http://sleightschool.com/portfolio/christopher-wiehl/
chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
Im very excited to be able to be a part of this program! I cannot wait to share my tips and tricks and effects to everyone!
Your Favorite Magician
www.chriswheel.com
@wheelmagic
@yourfavoritemagician
Search for my products under "Christopher Wiehl"
Steven Webb
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Steven Webb
I just signed up. While I own a copy of Bobo's and Royal Road, I find reading the books to be very unhelpful and DVDs tend to be so expensive. I can't wait to delve in and see what I can learn and improve on.
TomWilliams
View Profile
New user
London, UK
12 Posts

Profile of TomWilliams
I haven't signed up, because the last thing I need right now is to spend time learning new sleights when I really should be out performing! I will say that this looks very interesting indeed, and it's good to see something where magic steps out of the 20th century and offers a more modern approach. A few thoughts:

- The site looks very nice, the colour pallete that you've used makes the place look wayyyyy more modern than many big magic sites.
- Videos, short clips seem like a really good idea. It's more in tune with the way things are going these days - y'know, iTunes, Netflix and so on.
- One thing I would say as a point of caution is that the page made my PC lag pretty bad, particularly when all the pricing info popped in at the bottom.
- I think you'd get a lot more signups if you could let people access a taster vid without signing up

XaviorSpade (if that is your real name)
I know a fair bit about computing in general, so if you'd ever like another pair of eyes to look through anything I'd be happy to.
Gimme a shout if you're in/near London and want to practice going out and doing some magic for the general public. I'm too chicken to do it on my own.

http://magic.zarrow.co.uk
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
There is a free sample video.
~Will Rogers
TomWilliams
View Profile
New user
London, UK
12 Posts

Profile of TomWilliams
Yep, fair beans, there is. Then I'd say that you should make it wayyyy more obvious that it's there, because I completely missed it.

Y'know, direct my attention there...should be simple.
Gimme a shout if you're in/near London and want to practice going out and doing some magic for the general public. I'm too chicken to do it on my own.

http://magic.zarrow.co.uk
chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
There will be more than just sleights. There will be some tips and such from myself and I'm sure as others join in we'll get a feel of what people are interested in. This program is very flexible and fluid to help members get the most out of sleightschool.
Im really excited to show what I have to offer and to see all the awesome sleights and tips!
Your Favorite Magician
www.chriswheel.com
@wheelmagic
@yourfavoritemagician
Search for my products under "Christopher Wiehl"
XaviorSpade
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
124 Posts

Profile of XaviorSpade
Thanks for the input everyone. Im keeping everything that is said in mind. At the moment we are still growing and still figuring out the best user configuration for things. So it will get better as time goes on. As for the lag Im still working out that issue. In the mean time we have uploaded a new video.

JW Grip & Mutobe Palm from Kainoa Harbottle... http://sleightschool.com/2014/03/20/jw-grip-mutobe-palm/ Keep the ideas coming guys because I do consider everything people say.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
I like free advertising too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sleight School now up and running Online (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL