The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Bridge by Aaron Alexander a sort of review (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Aaron was kind enough to send me a copy of Bridge to read

Here's a link to the effect description and comments from people.
http://bridge.pygmalioneffects.com

I suggest you follow the link above, then return here and read the my thoughts on Bridge,......I'll wait.... Smile

Here is what I wrote to Aaron after reading his manuscript.

Hi Aaron

First of all thank you for letting me have the privilege of reading Bridge.

Before I give my thoughts on this manuscript, I think it good to explain where I stand regarding mystery performance, so that you have some point of reference from which to judge my remarks.

If we look at the spectrum of mystery performances,
from complete shut-eye "I can cure your ills by the laying on of hands" on the left:
to totally scientific "Nothing I do is psychic, everything can be explained by science." on the right

I am FIRMLY right of centre.

Regardless of the statement above, I have read a fair amount of work which, for sake of clarity, I'll call Real Magick.
I will not name specific effects or creators here.

I have always found them, in the main, to be
either completely impractical and/or workable FOR ME (and can't really see them being practical for anyone though others sing praises for these effects from the rooftops so it may just be my inbuilt preconceptions that prevent me seeing their true value)
or, I find them so "alternative" and new age that I can only see them being farcical caricatures of effects to anyone other than tree-hugging, whale-saving, feng-shui advocates.
(Please note the terms above are not intended in any derogatory manner but simply a way of painting as clear a picture as I can to explain my point.)

Now that that is established let's look at Bridge.

What Is Bridge:
Bridge is one of the first "Real magick" principles that I can see myself using.
It brings to mind the "witch doctor" principle (though it is much more than that) that I first became aware of via Luke Jermay though I think Banacheck had prior use of the term.

The way I see it, in most effects WHAT you do is the method, whereas in Bridge HOW you do it is the primary method. What you do is almost secondary.

In other "Real Magick 'effects ( and I use the term effects loosely) I have always found somewhere in them an unbridgeable chasm (sorry for the bad pun)
They all seem to contain at least one spot which requires a leap of faith of some sort.
They WILL forget their name
They WON"T be able to move their hand
They WILL feel a heat building up
etc. etc.
(Again It is only fair that I point out this may be complete failing on my part as others swear by such effects)

However Bridge seems to me not to have this fault.
There are, in my opinion, still spaces that need to be crossed, but they are small and manageable and represent more of a stride than a leap.

Bridge is the first of this type of effect that I truly feel is practical to someone my side of the spectrum as outlined at the start.
In fact the term Bridge seems completely appropriate as I see this being a useful tool to help people with the same standpoint as myself bridging the gap to the other side of the mystery performance spectrum in some small way.

Another aspect of Bridge that I find very appealing relates to a conversation I've had a few times with fellow performers.
The gist was that it's a lot easier to see a magician at work from across a bar or restaurant than a mentalist/mystery performer. Simply due to the fact that mentalism doesn't have the wide visual palette of effects that magic does.
However, imagine our mystery man was reading someones palm. Anyone looking on the scene would know exactly what was going on. It is purely visual evidence of what is happening and gets interest and attention without people needing to hear what is being said.

I see Bridge working in exactly the same way.
If you looked across a bar and saw two people, arms outstretched with their palms touching, and some guy making movements with his other hand it would pique anyone's interest.

Bridge In Use:
There are a lot of things put out with the tag line "utility device"
Bridge, I feel, is completely deserving of the description.
Careful (and practiced) use of Bridge will allow a performer to receive and transmit information.
It can even be used to demonstrate information transfer between two lay participants.
It can be put to use in an enormous range of situations which (another cliched phrase coming up) really are only limited by a performers imagination.
Added to effects like coin bends, PK touches, even simple word divinations Bridge can enhance a performance immensely.

I would have no hesitation recommending this to people who, like me, struggle to find the perfect way to make their performances more "real"
And to those who already put themselves left of centre on my imaginary spectrum, and would like another weapon in their arsenal.
To this latter group, you will be able to ad this to your repertoire with absolute ease.
The former group will need some work, but minimal in relation to the returns possible with Bridge.

regards
Steve
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I agree with many of the statements Steve has to say about Bridge. Here is a short statement I sent after reading the copy I was sent: "This is not an effect, but an event. It's a presentation that will enhance other effects. It is a process that establishes a deep connection between you and the spectator you are performing for. This is extreme thinking that can be used as a way to focus any effect you decide to present. Wonderful and fascinating thinking walks on this Bridge."

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Wow -- seriously intriguing comments from two people I whose opinions I really respect.
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of aalexander
Since people are having trouble viewing the site and the reviews so far are posted all in different places, I thought I'd post some highlights from the feedback so far:

"The applications are limitless. Using no props and telling no lies, Bridge is as close to real magic as anything I’ve ever encountered." -Dr. Bill Cushman

"I've gotta say, I'm incredibly impressed with this one...very nice work! You just made a new friend and fan of me. Highly recommended." -Jerome Finley

"When you see it being performed you can feel a thickness in the air, like something special is happening. The act of it is more than the sum of its parts. Unlike a simple trick, which requires the audience only to watch, Bridge not only invites you, but requires you to participate. It is in this participation, that something is brought to life." -Ian Pidgeon

"Brilliant. The introduction is imaginative and poetic. The Bridge itself can be described as poetry between two people." -James Luce

"This effect is one of those rare items in which the method and principles employed will act as a seed from much can be reaped. If you want to create a truly organic experience that is unique and unexpected for the spectator this is it!!! I love the thinking in both the methodology and the execution. The style is unique, bold and fresh for this particular style of performance." -Gavin O'rourke-Soccorco

"Bridge is one of the first "Real magick" principles that I can see myself using.... I would have no hesitation recommending this to people who, like me, struggle to find the perfect way to make their performances more 'real.'" -Steve Young

"This is not an effect, but an event. It's a presentation that will enhance other effects. It is a process that establishes a deep connection between you and the spectator you are performing for. This is extreme thinking that can be used as a way to focus any effect you decide to present. Wonderful and fascinating thinking walks on this Bridge." -Greg Arce

"I'm doing this product a disservice by labelling it as "mentalism", but I would expect it would sit alone if I created a blog category called "the closest thing to real magic". If you're looking to create a "real moment" of awe, connecting with a person on a real deep level, then read on." -Stephen Shaw (full review on www.magicblog.org)

Stay tuned.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I'm really taken with, stunned by and inspired by this piece (and the author's work in general).

I haven't adopted anything this good and valuable in a long, long time...and as I told Aaron, I knew instantly this would be one of those "forever" pieces in my toolkit and arsenal. It's amazing - I can't wait for the next installment and I have a copy of "PE" on its way to me now!

Excited about the future of mentalism again,
Jerome
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
In the interest of transparency, I was kindly given a review copy quite a while ago, but have only just had the chance to try it out.

I echo all of the above and see it also as an excellent relationship/rapport building exercise that can lead off in many paths. As Steve rightly said, it allows the use of suggestive mentalism in way that is almost 'risk free', but heightens the experience of any associated effects by adding new depth.

After trying it out several times at a party over the weekend, I can attest to the fact that it works exactly as described, although I can also see many people on this forum modifying it slightly to suit their needs as well. I'm currently looking at combining this as the induction/introduction to something similar to Paul Voodini's "Midnight Side Of The Mind" to provide an 'experiential journey'.

When I read Aaron's effect, I thought immediately that Jerome would like it. I must be a mind reader!
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of aalexander
There you are, Alan! You actually have a pretty old draft from last year, I believe. I'm going to send you a new version that I think will change the "almost" in your comment about "almost 'risk free.'" I'd love to hear your MSOM hybrid ideas when you get a chance. I've actually done something similar, also inspired by Bridge and MSOM.

For transparency: Anyone interested in thoughts from people who did not get copies during the review and editing process, I'm sending out some advanced copies later today. Plus Jerome and Steve paid and swapped for their advanced copies, respectively.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2014, ajb6864 wrote:

When I read Aaron's effect, I thought immediately that Jerome would like it. I must be a mind reader!

YOU ARE!

(And now we're both even more effective and better equipped in what we do and all we share thanks to Aaron and his incredible new insights and offering with "Bridge").

For me "Bridge" is like spending quality time with a new girlfriend and romantic interest...she's all I can think about, it's hot and heavy and new and exciting...the statement and that feeling of "everything I've been looking for!" immediately comes to mind and heart.

I take great comfort in knowing this unique piece and application isn't for everyone...it could be though (and perhaps it "should be", but as for now it isn't and for that I'm oddly thankful).

Watching Aaron's videos of "Push", "Bridge" & "Psychic Surgery" reminded me of myself and what's still important to me when it comes to performance art and human connection in general. I was reminded instantly of signature pieces from my own repertoire like "The Process", "Energetic Touches", "True Telepathy", my work on TIA, eye and soul gazing, "Magnetic Puppeteering" and so on.

I haven't met Aaron as of yet, but I look forward to the day. This is a fantastic piece of work and I've got high hopes for everything this guy still has in store for us.

Smitten,
J.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I did a swopsie deal with aaron, so I shall add my thoughts/review to this thread when it arrives...

rather excited after reading all of the above...i always loved the jumping pulse thing by Bill and Jerome's direction too...
I've asked to be banned
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
You're going to love it, Iain.

I know enough about you and your style, approach and way of looking at the world around you and her people in it to GUARANTEE you this is "right up your alley."

;)

I've already got 1,000 personal uses for this thing, have been "playing" with it all night and day today and couldn't be happier with the results. "Bridge" is just enough progression to be revolutionary and I'm writing a new opening to my show ("Bridge" + EVERYONE + me and my gentle guidance) to intoxicate the masses.

It's a ritual and ceremony of sheer intimacy that will take one far.

;)
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
I don't think I've found any material stronger or more unreal as Jerome's.... He has me really looking forward to Aaron's work now...
Can't wait!

Mike
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2014, Mental_Mike wrote:
I don't think I've found any material stronger or more unreal as Jerome's.... He has me really looking forward to Aaron's work now...
Can't wait!

Mike

Thanks, Mike!

Hop on Aaron's work as soon as you can, watch his videos, reach out in your own way...the normal methods and avenues all still apply. You'll be very happy with what you find and who you discover on the other side, I promise. Smile
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Already pre-ordered! Smile
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of aalexander
About an hour ago I sent off some advanced copies. If you bought a copy and we spoke about doing an advanced review but there is not one in your inbox, let me know. I still have 2 left.
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of aalexander
I've just taken a minute to read over this thread, and I'm not sure what to say. In a lot of ways Bridge is something that is very simple and humble, but has been huge for me in my life and is very close to my heart. I didn't know how it would be received and I couldn't be more excited to see these reactions.

I can't wait to hear where people's imagination takes this.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I saw this video on the website for The Bridge---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpVrp5YX......embedded

Is that one of the effects?

Regards,
Mike
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Been waiting on a price quote for this with Pygmalion Effects: Reality as an Art and the Weaver's Underground, but not sure if they're all available. Does anyone have these other works?
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of aalexander
Insight: No, that method is not published and I don't think it would suit a mentalist show anyway. The proper website for Bridge is here.

cpbartak: The other works are physical copies only, and information is available here. I won't be taking orders for those until this Bridge release happens, because I'm pretty swamped right now.
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of aalexander
Oops, the proper website for bridge is actually here.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Aaron, I guess I have to wait for the final edition? It is just because I took your preorder offer about 36 hours ago (PayPal) and did not receive the ebooklet until now. Thanks for attention. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Bridge by Aaron Alexander a sort of review (22 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL