The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Word by Scott Wells » » Brick & Mortar Magic Shops (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Brick and Mortar magic shops are vanishing at an alarming rate. I believe within the next generation that we may no longer see such stores where magicians can go to socialize, pick up and feel and immediately buy books, props and magic gimmicks.

On this week's podcast, I talk with Steve Lancaster (Top Hat Magic in Tulsa, OK) about the costume business and the battle with the "fly-by-night" Halloween stores that come in to steal the business. Denny Haney (Denny & Lee's Magic Studio) talks about his decision to open a shop in Las Vegas a few years ago and what he plans to do now. Finally, Emory Williams (Williams Magic) talks about closing his Brick & Mortar shop and going on the road with a traveling magic shop.

Hear it all at: http://themagicwordpodcast.com/scottwell......d-mortar

If you listen on iTunes, please be sure to leave a nice comment and a five star rating. It will really help me a lot! Thanks for listening.
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I moved to the Denver area 10 years ago and was quite sad that there were no shops. I spent many hours in Hollywood Magic in So Cal and met a lot of great guys there.
ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
Sugar Creek Ohio, has a magic shop. It's really great. You walk in, and its like a free magic show. It's one of those things that if you have never seen it, you should, before it's gone!
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I'm old school maybe, but I like brick and mortar shops. I've been to Top Hat and Spot Lite in Tulsa, The Red Barn and Mr Magic in North Littlerock, AR, and US Toy and Magic in KC. Brick and Mortar shops are great. How do lectures come to town otherwise?
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
They are also a great place to see magic performed, many times for free! ! !
ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
Catalpa Trading Company, Berlin Ohio. What a name, hmm? But it is an AMAZING magic shop, the guy just loves to perform. Go visit it, things like this won't be around much longer in the USA. Here is a picture

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=......3&type=3

He treated me nice, did not try to rip me off, and prices were LOW. And I got a free show! What more can you ask for?
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Is there a list of where magic shops are in by state?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
mellanp
View Profile
New user
Scranton, Pa.
59 Posts

Profile of mellanp
I own a brick and mortar magic shop in Scranton, Pa. I have had the shop since the middle 70's with a few years being closed becasuse of water damage. Scott, I heard that podcast and totally agree with what these dealers said. The internet shops are eroding our kind of shops and for what-a cheaper price? Cheaper price means cheaper service and very likely a cheaper product.

How often have you bought an effect online and found how impractical it is for you and you would never do it in the real world? This is wasted money! In a reputable brick and mortar shop, this would not happen, because of better one on one service. You also get to see the product demonstration in real life 3-D! Therefore, you can see the quality of your purchace as it really is. You also don't have to wait for it to come in the mail, damaged or a wrong item in the package! I bend over backwords for my customers, to help them. Denny said on the podcast, he always encourages his customers to buy books, like The Tarbel Course. I am the same. I will talk someone out of buying a $50.00 effect to buy a $10.00 book in a heartbeat. I will sacrifice the forty dollars, because the customer will be better served by studyingt magic in this book and get more for his money. Online shops wouldn't give you this advice. Denny is %100 correct! Right on Denny!! The advice that if you want to hide something, put it in a book is terrific advice, because, unfortunately, most don't read today, especially in magic. These so-called magicians would rather copy a perfromance on a DVD, or a download! Heaven forbi, they think for themselves.

My shop will be opened until I pass on.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
I hail from Ontario but now live in Calgary, Alberta. Calgary is lucky to have a brick & mortar called The Vanishing Rabbit. It's owned and operated by Brent Smith who is also a professional performer.

Whenever I take a trip to Toronto, I try to drop by the Browser's Den of Magic. It's a great shop run by Jeff Pinsky who's a wonderful guy and a great demo man. If you're ever in Toronto, make sure you check it out and give him my regards.
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Here is a decent resource of brick and mortar magic shops across the U.S. at this link here, if you see any that are missing or need to be removed please feel free to message me. I will update: http://www.backroommagic.com/apps/forums......ocations
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2014, NexusMagicShop wrote:
Here is a decent resource of brick and mortar magic shops across the U.S. at this link here, if you see any that are missing or need to be removed please feel free to message me. I will update: http://www.backroommagic.com/apps/forums......ocations

Thanks for the link. This is a great resource. I will add it to my show notes on The Magic Word.
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Word by Scott Wells » » Brick & Mortar Magic Shops (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL