The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magician Business (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Wanted to offer people a heads up, a friend of mine - Julian Mather is working on something new at http://www.magicianbusiness.com

I'm not sure what he has in mind, but when he says it is free - he means it. Having been inside his Build Your Magic Show site, this is going to be very well done. I'm anxious to see it myself.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I just signed up. We will see what this is all about.
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
571 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Me too. Waiting for the catch.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7409 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Is this the same thing that was discussed on this thread?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, Circusman wrote:
Me too. Waiting for the catch.

LOL..sounds interesting, would this work with a mind-reading act?

Smile
Self concept is destiny..
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Donald - this offering is different. Julian went through the same course I did in regards to online products, which led me to develop the Learn Ventriloquism site. He already had a huge following on his YouTube videos, which gave him feedback into what viewers wanted. The Build Your Magic Show is a paid membership site, and having been inside, it is extremely well done.

At this point, Julian tells me the Magician Business site will be free - not sure what he has planned, but based on the level he took the Build Your Magic Show site, I expect this to be very different from anything else available. I'm certain he's going to monetize in some manner - perhaps advertising, but the site and material will be free from what he tells me.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10019 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Isn't it based primarily for kids party magician's?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
There is a value in building a list and perhaps that's what they are trying to do for themselves.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have a feeling it is about teaching SEO. I can understand they want your info so they can keep in contact for their pitch.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Mindpro - likely, since that is what he does.

JamesinLA - if you check Julian's YouTube, he already has a huge list of followers. No doubt he'll grow it, but knowing him, that is not the reason for this venture. He is the kind of person who thrives on sharing information and helping others.

Dynamike - I believe you are wrong - he's not an SEO person - but time will tell.

I wouldn't have mentioned this if I though Julian was out to take advantage of anyone. I've seen how he conducts himself and treats people. He's as real as they come.
I'll bow out now, I've shared the news, you can decide if it is worth checking out or not.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Luckily no one is obligated to give him their money. I've subscribed on the grounds that Tom recommended it, and that it may be something of value (even if he does monetize the blog, it could still be worth checking out). I don't do kids magic, but I've learned quite a bit from kids show performers. The worst case is I hit the unsubscribe button. Smile
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Dave - that was the way I looked at it as well.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Tom just put his own reputation and credibility on the line. Normally I don't go in for these "blind sign ups" as it's obvious that they just want to capture email addresses. I signed up just on the recommendation of Tom that there is something of legitimate value behind it. If this turns out to be a scam or a come-on for email after email, pitch after pitch, I will be unhappy. And Tom will lose credibility here.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2014, Starrpower wrote:
If this turns out to be a scam or a come-on for email after email, pitch after pitch, I will be unhappy. And Tom will lose credibility here.

One thing that has changed in the last 10 years of online marketing is that 90% of sellers now use MailChimp, Constant Contact or Aweber to run their autoresponders and mail campaigns. These guys are very protective of their services and comply fully with anti spam laws. Eg one click Unsubscribe button must be included on every mailout. Easy enough to do if you don't like the content or frequency of emails

Julian's course ( and Tom's Vent course for that matter) have both been on my recommended Resource list at http://www.magiccoach.com/products/other-products/ for some time. I hear only good things about them both.

Timothy
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I am not suggesting anything underhanded. I am just emphasizing that fact that Tom is sticking his neck out on this by endorsing something that even he is unfamiliar with, based upon his relationship with Julian.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

I signed up via Tom's endorsement, but if it does not fly Tom will have lost none of my respect. Not every tip pans out and I feel I will have lost very little if this one falls flat.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2014, charliecheckers wrote:
I signed up via Tom's endorsement, but if it does not fly Tom will have lost none of my respect. Not every tip pans out and I feel I will have lost very little if this one falls flat.

Agreed. Kind of harsh to claim Tom, of all people, would lose credibility after all he's done to try to help others.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom would have to do a LOT more to lose any credibility in my eyes. This is not a way to do it. To each his own.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Well, I guess we'll see what happens.

I'm usually very cautious when people start off with the Dan Kennedy / Dave Dee hype ads suggesting that you can make $100k+ a year. I'm not saying you can't make that kind of figure, but that usually sends up some red flags. It's almost like - here we go again.

I like Tom Crowl a lot here on the Magic Café. I just don't know if I would stick my neck out for something that is sight unseen.

The other part is that there are great differences in performing styles and business practices between different parts of the US as well as different countries. As an example, I'm sure the Yellow Page advertisements (called something else in different parts of the world) still work in some areas. As for the US, I'm not so sure.

In the UK they still offer two-hour parties. Even though JR pushes this, I'm not convinced this avenue of thought will ever catch on here in the States. And personally, I think that's a good thing. Smile

Gerry
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10019 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Gerry brings up some valid points. I would also add that in many of these "make $100,000 A Year" type of releases, it is generally for one very specified market such as in kids entertainer, in the corporate market, doing fairs & festivals, etc. My point is it is very specified information. Many then at some point go on to say "but you could also easily adapt it to other markets."

I never cared for this specified-market stuff. The chances of you working that specific market enough to the point of achieving the 100k goal is likely minimal, and so reduces the potential target performer. Especially from other counties outside of where I work or target. Then as with any course there is the "take action" factor, which many simply don't do for many reasons, then go on to deem, the info "not worth it" or not "good" because it isn't easily done for them. Then add the fact that as Gerry says it may play differently in different parts of the country let alone outside the U.S.

Good business information should work across the board. Specific market nuances should be just that, an add-on to your existing foundation. Magic is one of the entertainment disciplines where performers typically will accept practically any type of gig offered to them. Look at how many posts here begin with "hey I just booked a gig in two weeks for _______, and I've never done one of these before, any help or ideas?" Magician's rarely turn bookings done due to market commitment and lack of interest or experience in an area.

I've never understood this very specified type of business information.

Also you guys should know by now that this entire offer is to build his list and to target you for a product sales shortly. So, why the grief? You know it's coming. It's a business model. It's the way of doing business today. We know that and recognize that the minute we see it, so why complain? Either opt-in and see where it'll take you and what the product and offer is, or don't, but no need to talk about Tom's credibility. Even if it was to be a poor or unuseful product for you it should in no way erase Tom's established credibility. He's either recommending something he likes and believes in, recommending it because he likes the person offering it and is trying to help, or is an affiliate somehow. Either way, we should be praising Tom for his "taking action" business practices and not be so worried about the "free" info being offered. You simply know its the entrance to someones marketing funnel.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magician Business (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL