The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » BLACK ART (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Russell Fox
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Russell Fox
Morning all you beautiful people - I'm busy with a production for a company and we are look at various materials for draping to create a black art stage.

Could you please advise what kind of materials work well for black art other than Velvet or Velveteen.

Regards

Russell Fox
Russell Fox
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Russell Fox
If you are wondering if I am a magician and want to check before you reply you can go to my site www.magicianinsane.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Google search the Café and you will find several threads and discussion on it. That will be the fastest way for the most info.

Blair
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22838 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To answer your question simply, there are no other material for the use of black art other then triple velvet. Nothing else will produce the effect desired. Then add day glo lights and props. I get the feeling from you question, you are looking for a less expensive alternative, there is none.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I wholeheartedly second Bill's advice. There is no 'second best' for this.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Triple Velvet is the best.
Dennis Michael
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Deep pile black velvet of the highest quality is what you are looking for. You should also be aware of the direction of the knap of the material. It needs to be hung with the knap pointing in the general direction of the light source so that any shine on the fibers does not blow the illusion. Also, the dye in the material will fade quicker under UV. Since all black fabric is actually dyed with a combination of one or more very saturated colors of dye--red and blue usually--the longer it hangs with the UV on the quicker the color will show. Save the lights--and thus the color saturation--during rehearsals and between tours if this is in a haunt or other similar attraction.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2014, MRSharpe wrote:
Deep pile black velvet of the highest quality is what you are looking for. You should also be aware of the direction of the knap of the material. It needs to be hung with the knap pointing in the general direction of the light source so that any shine on the fibers does not blow the illusion. Also, the dye in the material will fade quicker under UV. Since all black fabric is actually dyed with a combination of one or more very saturated colors of dye--red and blue usually--the longer it hangs with the UV on the quicker the color will show. Save the lights--and thus the color saturation--during rehearsals and between tours if this is in a haunt or other similar attraction.

I'm impressed with your knowledge. Sounds like you've been there, done that, and now have a closet full of T-shirts!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Russell Fox
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Russell Fox
Thanks for all the advice, we

In terms of price I'm not looking for the cheapest, I'm wanting the best this is why I'm asking for the advice.

We don't have triple velvet in SA so ill have to import it.

Any suggestions in this regard.
Russell Fox
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Russell Fox
Thanks for all the advice, we

In terms of price I'm not looking for the cheapest, I'm wanting the best this is why I'm asking for the advice.

We don't have triple velvet in SA so ill have to import it.

Any suggestions in this regard.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Thanks Michael Baker! I have a little experience with black art specifically. Most of my advice has to do with over thirty years in theatre and theme park production. I done tech direction, scenic and props fabrication, as well as general stage hand work on over 150 plays and musicals as well as working at Disneyland in the park decorating department and about 20 other theme parks doing various backstage work. And yes, I have so many T=shirts my swag box runneth over!
Cheers!
Russell, you should be able to obtain black velvet material from any reputable theatrical supply house. Just call them up and tell them you want their best black velvet the carry. Mention black art and they may very well say that they will sell you what they sold the last magician that called them. Be prepared to spend $25 to $150/ yard depending on where you live and how much you need. You may be able to find some that will work at a regular fabric store if they carry enough inventory. You can get wider material from the theatrical supplier though. The width is important since you don't want seams if you can help it.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » BLACK ART (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL