The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review: " Aces In Their Faces " by Bob Kohler (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Effect: A deck of cards is shown to be all face-down. The magician makes a magical gesture, and shows the ace of Spades now face_up on top of the deck. The deck is cut and squared-up and magically the remaining three aces also turn face-up. These cards are now placed on the table in four separate packets. The aces, under "test conditions"' magically migrate until they all appear together!

Stop! Before you say "Not another ace assembly!" please listen carefully. Bob's ace assembly is in a class by itself. It's clean, invisible, (method, that is) and packs a whallop! The spectators get to participate to such a degree that they actually "make" the magic happen with their minds.

If one is a purist, and shuns the use of gimmicks in any form, then this routine is not for you. But I dare say that you will be hard pressed to equal the "squeaky clean" feel of this one.

About the gimmicks that are used in the routine, well let's just say that with the presentation following the lines suggested in the manuscript, the spectator will never even suspect them. The diabolical gimmicks just blend in, and you too may forget that they are there.

as I said, the premise of the effect of the effect as suggested by Bob is that the spectators move the aces with their minds one at a time, in any order of their choosing, to any destination pile of their choosing! Read that again, for that is what separates this Ace assembly from so many other generic ace assemblies.

After laying down the piles, your hands never come near the piles, and the spectator is allowed to take over at your gentle guidance. The power of their mind is employed three times, and at the end you can with one finger cleanly spread the piles to reveal the aces assembled in the leader pile of their choice.

There is some equivoke employed in the effect, but this too is different than what you may be used to. The point is that if done according to the instructions, no equivoke is apparent to any degree. It seems to the spectators like 100% free choice. Really, you have to see this to believe it. This equivoke is consumate.

Get this effect! I can not reccomend it high enough and I will give it four stars.****
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks for the review DaffyDoug.
I purchased this trick a few days ago and am still awaiting its delivery. Glad to hear my money was well spent this time!!!

Best,
Bill
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It's pretty darn clever. The simple version is almost self working.

Bob has a video teaching a more advanced handling, also.

I used this when it first came out and love it. LAtely I've gotten away with gaff card effects, so I'm doing Veron's slow motion aces, but Bob's effect rocks!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Chris, this effect is not only clever, heck it's beyond that. I'd say it's downright ostrobogulous! Smile
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
It is very good but still prefer MacDonald aces myself.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Daffy, you're sense of humor is so awesome!!! You really got me laughing.

Good man!!!

Chris Smile

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hot dang! And I don't even know what I said that was so funny!

But, if you want a really good laugh, check out my true stories in the section called, what happened was this. These things actually happened to me about twenty years ago. Not making 'em up!

Quote:
On 2004-01-06 23:40, thehawk wrote:
It is very good but still prefer MacDonald aces myself.

No doubt The Macdonalds aces has a lot going for it. It could be considered the grand daddy of four ace effects. I still use it on occasion, the Garcia version, that is.

Also of merit is the Olram Aces, which is kind of a knuckle buster, which you can follow up with Impossible Travelers. Mike powers put out an excellent manuscript on those, which I don't know if is still available, but I still have in my files. Smile
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I will check out some stories myself.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I've had this effect for a couple of years...you're right, it's one the spectator does, and it KILLS! I usually end this type of thing with a follow-up, using Cheek To Cheek, and then wrap it...both effects are done almost completely by the spectator...

Can't recommend it enough! Smile

Doug
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mike Powers still put out the manuscricpt for Olram's Aces and includes Mike's own 'IMPOSSIBLE TRAVELLERS'. This can be ordered direct from Mike at:

http://www.mallofmagic.com/catalog2.htm

And Mike is a joy to order from. Just a wonderful fellow!!!

Chris

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This is true. I have ordered from him personally, and he is one heck of a sweet guy. Real congenial,easy to talk to. Everyone on this forum should send him an order for something!
John Kokot
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
I will sell my "Aces in Their Faces" for $7.50 (postpaid to addresses in the U.S.). These are the original Kohler cards and written instructions (no video). Everything in excellent, like new condition.
If interested, please e-mail me at johnkokot@aol.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow...that's a good deal!
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
I second DaffyDoug's review. Fantastic review Doug!
It's a killer 4 aces effect!
Gerry
Thoughts Have Wings Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thankyou for that second, my good man. I would third it, but I don't know if you can do that without being arrested by the magic police.
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Hey, anyone knows where I can get those 'gaff' cards for Aces in the Faces...as in just those gaffs without the instructions...thanks
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
They are rather easy to make your self if you can peel layers of cards apart and have newspaper add cutter.
You could also order them from Cards by Martin or buy the trick from Kohler or from your favourite magic shop.
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
"You could also order them from Cards by Martin or buy the trick from Kohler or from your favourite magic shop."
Martin? where or who is that?? I went to a magic shop and they said they only sell the cards together with the trick..they do not sell the cards separately...hmm..so anyone knows where I can get those cards for this trick??
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Getting the cards without the instructions might end up being more expensive than getting them with. What do you want them without the instructions anyway? Just curious.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review: " Aces In Their Faces " by Bob Kohler (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL