The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Retention Vanish (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
I am new to coin magic. Im a cardy, but I was wondering what are the best sources for the retention vanish which I have seen done with 100% accuracy, yet up to now I have no explanations of. Thanks.
La magie, c'est ma vie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The 'elusive coin pass', or 'a coin vanish' as T. J. Crawford called it was published in 'Modern Coin Magic' and several other easily obtained texts.

One might wish to allocate about a year towards learning the nuances of the timing involved in making the hand closure and coin placement produce the 'retention of vision' effect.

The Downs book, and Bobo's 'Modern Coin Magic' have been reprinted in paperback and can be had new at a modest price.

Should you wish to pursue a more serious or in-depth course of study, Richard Kaufman has written two books which are more modern tomes of the craft. There are also DVD series of note which may be of interest. These include works by Dr Michael Rubenstein, David Roth, Jay Sankey...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
alexanderN
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
72 Posts

Profile of alexanderN
Look at coinvansih.com (foundations) there is a clear explanation of retention vanish Smile

I mean coinvanish.com sorry
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The best, absolute BEST, retention of vision vanish is Mickey Silver's.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
I would say without hesitation that David Roth's retention is the best! I have been doing it for many years. Most of the time when reading books I find it difficult to follow or understand the exact handling so I opted to get David's Video (Stars of Magic) where it is explained in detail. However , Expert Coin Magic (I think by R. Kaufmann) explains it very well also.
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
158 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
I second that....I learned it from David Roth's video, and found it explained and demonstrated very well. I love it and use it often.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I just finished watching a demo video (a teaching DVD is in the works) of the Mickey Silver retention vanish (variations) and myself, and the boys at Dean Dill's were BLOWN AWAY...

No clue as the to real work.

I especially thought the coin in mouth and the use of a ladle was quite original and baffling.

Can't wait for the DVD to get the "work"...
Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I agree, that Mickey's is the best, however the "work" is not available yet. Check out Mike Rubinstein's Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights videos. There are a number of excellent retention vanishes on it, and they are thoroughly taught.
Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Yes, Michael Rubinstein is a great teacher, and his coin work is amazing, and lots of fun. I would definitly heed JonTown's advice above. The rentention vanish, seems to me, is one of those moves you just have to do for real people in order to gain the proper confidence. For me it was, anyway. And now there's this new Mickey Sliver thing, jeez... Smile
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
Have a look in modern coin magic or micheal amarrs series in coin magic hope I helped Smile

ESPecially magicboi Smile
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
Check out Denis Behr's site for some nice retention vanishes under "coin work":

http://www.denisbehr.de/

Dave
Sk8rDave
View Profile
Regular user
California
189 Posts

Profile of Sk8rDave
I think the best description of how to do my favorite version of this sleight is in The Vernon Chronicles, The Lost Inner Secrets volume one. It's called the Persistance of Vision Coin Vanish. Typical of Vernon, it has no superfluous motion but looks incredible. It's clearly written and illustrated.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I still think that Roth version is the most natural.

Mickey's has better retention but Roth's "putting" hand is absolutely clean as a whistle.

And Denis' above is awfully close to wonderful too.
Check out those fingertip retention vanishes. nice.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
Just go out and get the first three volumes of Roth's Coin Magic tapes. You'll get the Retention Vanish (which I still can't get either) and everything else you'll need to be a coiny as well as a cardy.

Deerbourne
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I've watched that Mickey Silver Video over and over...I cannot fathom how it's done. NO finger movement, NO bent knuckle...it is just simply impossible.

If you are lucky to get on his mailing list, you will see what we are so excited about...this cannot be duplicated without instruction from the master himself. There is a discussion afloat about whether he SHOULD release it, as it's so exclusive, but the demo tape blew me away. Completely.

The more I play this, the more baffled... Smile

Doug
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-01-07 20:44, smokey43 wrote:
I would say without hesitation that David Roth's retention is the best! I have been doing it for many years. Most of the time when reading books I find it difficult to follow or understand the exact handling so I opted to get David's Video (Stars of Magic) where it is explained in detail. However , Expert Coin Magic (I think by R. Kaufmann) explains it very well also.

I learned how to do the retention vanish correctly from David Roth in a private lesson at the TAOM convention in San Antonion in 1989. Up until I saw Mickey Silver's video, I would have said, without hesitation, that Roth's retention of vision vanish was the best.

However, I saw Mickey's video. All I could say was "Oh, no. Oh, no. Oh, no." I saw Dennis Behr's video, too. Very nice, but he flashes on the second retention vanish. Mickey still has both of them beat. This ain't your grandmother's retention vanish, fellows!

Quote:
On 2004-01-10 07:58, magicboi wrote:
Have a look in modern coin magic or micheal amarrs series in coin magic hope I helped Smile

ESPecially magicboi Smile

Take a look at Mickey's. You will swear that he has a magnet imbedded in his finger!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Last wekend I happened to cue up Vol. 2 of Michael Rubenstein's Encyclopedia of Coin Magic. I hadn't worked with this material for quite some time, but it reminded me of what an amazing eaching series this is...still inspires and teaches good habits.

Point is. Vol 2 contains a variety of retention passes among other important families of sleights (spellbounds etc.).

Michael teaches and performs the retention pass on the Encyclopia series as well as anyone. I recommend it to new and not so new "coinies." I think Mickey likes Ken Krenzell's variation that Michael teaches....

The best..
cp
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I had problems learning the retention vanish from text like Bobo and just never quite got it... but was much improved a few minutes after watching Roth Expert CM Vol 2 Video. I recommend it!
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
carpelo
View Profile
New user
Tarragona, Spain
57 Posts

Profile of carpelo
Well,

I did learn retention of vision vanish from Roth's videos, but now I have seen Curtis Kam, or Denis Behr doing it a different way. Less fingers are involved in the move, and it seems as if the thumb pulls the coin and it pivots around the second finger.

It seemed to me that it was a very different method than Roth one
Where can I find a description of that retention vanish Smile

thanks in advance

Carlos Pérez
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Carlos, the retention of vision is produced by a timing effect. The view of the coin is obscured at the same time as the body language of the hands communicate a transfer of the coin/ball/object.

The move done by the 'putting' hand can be done 'into' several positions including pockets, fingertips, hankercheifs... or as Mickey Silver has demonstrated... even an ear.

The move can be used almost as a 'take' if you allow for a slight motion in the 'put' hand at the instant of transfer.

Could there be a market for a dedicated booklet or video on this stuff?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Retention Vanish (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL