The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Dry erase material (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I am looking for the ability to have a dry erase material on a roller. Like a roller blind or something I could attach to a roller blind. I couldn't find it on google. Does anyone know if this or something like it exists? Thanks!!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Start your search at www.learnersupply.com and check out the self-adhesive dry erase material. 'Taint cheap...but it will get you started.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
aheads
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
188 Posts

Profile of aheads
Here you go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Whiteboard......01P5UAV8

Dry wipe material/static paper that comes in a roll. It adheres to any hard surface but I suppose you could glue it onto a roller blind. You can use it with dry wipe pens etc., wipe clean and use again.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Or...just Google "Self-Adhesive Dry Erase Material". There's a whole bunch out there.

Or, you could take an expo pen to a fabric store and test on vinyl material.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
The actual vinyl roller shades might work. Try buying an old one from a thrift store (or just try it out at your obnoxious neighbor's house!) to test. If it works, buy a few and have at it!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
You guys are great!!!! Thanks!!! I'm trying to "update" my Dream Vision.
magicfreak_NV
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of magicfreak_NV
There is a dry erease style product ( same as DV gimmick) but dry erase board.
Can't seam to find the link to it. Will keep looking
It's used for a portable dry erase board for board presentations and meetings.

Keep in mind why dream vision has not gone to a dry erase style board is the white nature makes writing very diffuclt to see from a distance.
Add stage lighting and angles and you have even more issue with people seeing what is written and major glare issues

Also the nature of how the DV gimmick works dry erase markers are easily wiped off. And the writing almost always comes off when you set the gimmick and do the dirty work.

Black chalkboard can be clearly seen from even the very last seat in the house. Without any issues and stage lights will not glare off the surface of the blacks board.

Don Wayne has spent years experimenting with creating a dry erease version of DV. And still has yet to come up with a "working" solution.
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
FYI there's a company that sells White board paint in a can:

http://www.ideapaint.com

Not sure if it's flexible, but may be cool to experiment with.

Good luck!
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
224 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
I think you might be able to buy a roll of white paper and laminate it. I've laminated posterboard and used as a dry erase board before.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
A MAJOR consideration here will be the inherently glossy surface of dry-erase boards. Anything that is not 100% FLAT will have minor distortions that cause reflections that will telegraph that the surface is not entirely rigid. One of the nice things about Dream Vision is that the surface is "treated" before use, and the fact that there is chalk residue across the entire face help to camouflage any surface imperfections, and in fact help to diffuse light rather than reflect it.

I wouldn't say it is impossible with dry erase, but I would plan on a lot of careful experimentation and testing to make sure that the nature of the effect holds up. It may work, but it is entirely possible that it won't.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
They DO also make a "blackboard" spray paint that acts as a chalkboard...not sure of its flexibility, though.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Dry erase material (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL