The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » T A Waters Mind Myth and Magic (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Gumar Oz DuBar
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2014, Waters wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2014, emptysafe wrote:
I've been hearing about this book for a long time. How good is it actually? Compared with Derren Brown's work?

emptysafe,

That is kind of a hard comparison. The thing that makes Derren's material great is... Derren's performance. No doubt the much methodology he employs speaks to philosophy of what makes great effects (use of boldness, perceptual sculpting and invisible compromise), but effects themselves are just the food, not the life. So, T.A. Waters contains plenty of fodder. It is well worth owning and reading. Besides, he has a great last name. I am not just saying because he is "Uncle Tom".

Co-sign.
Certainly agree with this.
I write and edit text.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Here's what I wrote about Mind, Myth and Magick in my "39 Steps:"

Quote:
This book could accurately been titled The (Nearly) Complete Works of T.A. Waters. It is an indexed, edited and updated collection of almost every mentalism book and booklet he wrote in his all too short life.

Waters was a major figure on the creative side of our art. Many performers have justifiably noted that his effects were not always suitable, in a practical sense, for the working mentalist. I find that to be true of his earlier works but much less so in his later ones. Since the material in the book is presented in chronological order, you can literally follow the progression and refinement of his thoughts as he became an influential figure in the world of mentalism.

Like some other works on this list, Mind, Myth and Magick is often recommended to beginners. And newcomers will indeed benefit very much by reading it. His essays, in fact, should be required reading for everyone. While he may not have been a top performer of mentalism, he was one of its greatest thinkers and theorists.

As with many of the books in this list, the value of Water’s volume does not lie primarily in the effects he describes, but in the creative inspiration they provide. I don’t think I have ever performed any of his effects in the manner he described them. But the reasoning underlying his effects, approaches, and methods, is what qualifies his book as essential reading. It doesn’t matter if you agree with him or not. (Waters and I differed on many points and, on at least one occasion, our differences were extreme.) The point is that Waters works will make you think. And they’ll make you think every time you re-read them.

Mind, Myth and Magic is the living testament of a finely tuned creative mind and deserves to be read by every thoughtful performer.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17657 Posts

Profile of Slim King
It's my favorite Mentalism Book!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On May 19, 2015, Slim King wrote:
It's my favorite Mentalism Book!

Let me guess - it is because of this:

"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17657 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Just for starters!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
I totally forgot about the monkey. It's worth the price of the book.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2588 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
A good place to look for out of print stuff is abebooks
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor

With MM&M you could make the Ghost Rider, Spirit of Simian Vengeance with this fellow
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
MM&M is a treasure trove of inspiration and ideas for me. I can't ever imagine exhausting it's secrets.
MagicDan3333
View Profile
New user
Sun Prairie, WI
38 Posts

Profile of MagicDan3333
TA Waters also has some excellent DVD's that are available.
Cryptghost
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Cryptghost
I appreciate this is an old thread, but I just wanted to express how much I am enjoying reading Mind Myth and Magic. I was lucky, I was looking for a copy and found a slightly worn out version on Amazon for about $15,

I will get round to the DVD's once I have read it all, but what a treasure trove of ideas, I am finding it very inspirational,

Thanks again,
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17657 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2018, Cryptghost wrote:
I appreciate this is an old thread, but I just wanted to express how much I am enjoying reading Mind Myth and Magic. I was lucky, I was looking for a copy and found a slightly worn out version on Amazon for about $15,

I will get round to the DVD's once I have read it all, but what a treasure trove of ideas, I am finding it very inspirational,

Thanks again,

$15 is the deal of the century!!!!!
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
When I was in college I revived this book as a gift from one of my girlfriends. Subsequently there was a small electrical fire at my residence when I wasn't at home. The firemen soaked everything including my library. The book expanded to 3 times it's girth and much of it was ruined. I still have it and while it's lost it's collectors value, some of the the material is still there for me to peruse. I also have the DVDs so I could just put a face on the material. Between Mr. Waters and Barrie Richardson I think there is a treasure trove of modern material and inspiration to last a lifetime.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Cryptghost
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Cryptghost
That is a great gift, I wish my ex-girlfriends had been as generous with me!!
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Back in 1998 I called up L&L Publishing and asked if they had a copy of Mind Myth & Magic, because I wanted to order it.

I spoke to a gentleman there, who told me they had one copy in stock, but it did not have the shrink wrap on it, because Mr. Waters had been in the studio for a photo shoot with the book, promoting an upcoming video series (which took YEARS to get released).

I said, "you mean to tell me, the copy you have is the one T.A. Waters handled and used in the photo shoot? I'LL TAKE IT.

The day I received my copy in the mail is the day I heard the news that he died.

You can see a picture of him holding my copy in old L&L catalogs (remember those?).

So glad to have my copy ... will never part with it.

Oscar
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2018, Oscar999 wrote:
Back in 1998 I called up L&L Publishing and asked if they had a copy of Mind Myth & Magic, because I wanted to order it.

I spoke to a gentleman there, who told me they had one copy in stock, but it did not have the shrink wrap on it, because Mr. Waters had been in the studio for a photo shoot with the book, promoting an upcoming video series (which took YEARS to get released).

I said, "you mean to tell me, the copy you have is the one T.A. Waters handled and used in the photo shoot? I'LL TAKE IT.

The day I received my copy in the mail is the day I heard the news that he died.

You can see a picture of him holding my copy in old L&L catalogs (remember those?).

So glad to have my copy ... will never part with it.

Oscar

Let me tell you how close you came to not getting that book. I was at that shoot. I was sitting with TA talking about improv theater and a bunch of other stuff at the lunch break. At one point I thought to myself, I should see if Louis has any copies of MMM and get TA to sign it for me. Then I thought, "That would be kinda sycophantic. There will be time for autographs when these videos come out and he makes the lecture and convention circuit."

You know the rest of that sad tale, days later he was gone.

I searched for two years to find an autographed copy of MMM. It, along with many other rare autographed books were almost lost in the wildfires in wine country last fall. And by almost I mean 100 feet away begins the complete destruction of an entire housing development.
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Wow - that's pretty wild Tom.

Magic is indeed a small world.

Oscar
Cryptghost
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Cryptghost
Thanks for sharing these moving memories, I feel very privileged to be reading such an amazing book, rich in ideas and thoughts on mentalism.
Paradise
View Profile
Elite user
sheffieldEngland
416 Posts

Profile of Paradise
There is this UK Only though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163247204687
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » T A Waters Mind Myth and Magic (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL