The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Grain/Seed in Eye? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
That effect that more and more people are doing now - started by Blaine - where you sniff up a corn, grain or seed and then, after some massaging, it appears out of your eye.

PM me if you know the method or know where I can read it up.

Thanks.
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Hayze
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
83 Posts

Profile of Hayze
My God, please don't say this was started by Blaine.

I believe it's referred to as Ramsay's Bean Trick and has been discussed here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=23

Also, it's available in "Magic for Dummies"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Mixed feelings here about people putting things in their eyes for the sake of a trick. While dark and greedy motivations might enjoy seeing others hurt by tissue dammage and infection... simple self respect brings me to caution the reader that such practices are not endearing to others.

bottom line... is the discomfort you induce in others what you want? at the risk of dammaging yourself?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3017 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Please note that at no time does the performer ACTUALLY insert anything in his eye.

However, while the performer may be able to do this in relative safety, there is the audience to consider. Do NOT do this for young children, who are likely to endanger themselves in imitation.

With all that said, Docc Hilford's version (using fake flies!) is disgusting and hilarious.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Hilford's version is actually Paul Britts' Wrath of Renfield and was published in the New Invocation (with Paul's byline.)

Yes, there is a version where a small needly is inserted into the eye. The first description of the trick in a magic text is in the Houdin autobiography. For methods of the "real" technique see Swami Mantra which was rebublished by Kaufman some years back.
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Hey James,

Like eating glass & blockhead (talked about in your ‘Geek Magic Act’ thread) corn/seed/grain from the eyes is what you’d call “too real”.

The Ramsay’s Bean Trick on the other hand, I think you would like. I happen to read it just today and while I do do the “too real” version, the Ramsay’s trick is something I'm planning on add to my repertoire.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3017 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2004-01-07 15:14, truthteller wrote:
Hilford's version is actually Paul Britts' Wrath of Renfield and was published in the New Invocation (with Paul's byline.)

Whoops! Good catch, Brad!
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
Actaully, if memory serves me correctly, Penn & Teller were doing this effect while Blaine was still in diapers.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
But the trick itself still goes back several hundred years. That I think is the key for those of us who value a clearly researched historical record. While we may associate tricks with the performers who present them today, we should know where these tricks came from. First, this is respectful to our art. Second it allows us to research the original handlings and in many cases learn valuable touches that have been lost over time.

To Neil, no worries. The only reason
I knew that is because that routine used to be a feature piece of mine.
boblinds
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
111 Posts

Profile of boblinds
Quote:
Actually, if memory serves me correctly, Penn & Teller were doing this effect while Blaine was still in diapers.

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, this could have been last year. Blaine was hanging over London and STILL wearing diapers. Smile
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Oh man, you slay me!!!

-Jay Smile
m.s.magic
View Profile
Regular user
England-newcastle-
105 Posts

Profile of m.s.magic
Hahahaha very funny ...and true!
best regards tom
What is real and what is an illusion ? it all depends on your perception, reality is only limited by the boundries of the imagination, and imagination can defy the laws of everything - Criss Angel
roguemagic
View Profile
New user
bizarre iowa
96 Posts

Profile of roguemagic
I have been searching for The Wrath of Renfield for some time. I have scoured through my copy of the Complete Invocation. Is it actually in this book? Might someone be able to tell me the actual page that it may be found? Is it avilable in any other book?

Take care,
Craig Wilson
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Heh, Craig, me too. There's only one Paul Britt routine in The New Invocation and it's not this one. I too would like to know the correct source.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
It seems to be often overlooked, but there are two versions in Swami Mantra one real, one faked. (On very separate pages.)
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Grain/Seed in Eye? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL