The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Being a teacher sucks/is awesome (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2014, rockwall wrote:

The average teacher:
School year = 180 days
14 Holidays/year= -14
5 personal days/year= -5
7 Sick days/year- -7
? Vacation days/year= ? *
Total days worked 154 Days/ year
*I have heard rumors teachers get vacation time as well but not confirmed
Work day is 7 hours including a 1/2 hour PAID lunch and one hour FREE period/day

I think you are double-counting here. In every jurisdiction of which I'm aware, teachers have instructional days (180 in your example; in my province it's closer to 200) and a certain number of "operational days" in which teachers are in school but students are not, plus 2-5 professional development days in which teachers take training of some sort. These are working days, and do not include holidays or vacation days. (e.g. you don't subtract Christmas because it wasn't counted as an instructional day in the first place.) I've also never heard of public school teachers being entitled to vacation time. At least here the contract is for instructional days, non-instructional days and professional development days.

That said, teachers do have more time off than most other workers. It's just not so much as the original double-count claims.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16237 Posts

Profile of tommy
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeldwfOwuL8

sometimes you have no choice.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
www.gocomics.com/lacucaracha/2014/04/11

Smile

Also, see the comment by DLee4144 at link above.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Good video, tommy. And yes, it does apply to some of the offers that are made to teachers nowadays.

(Are there any topics that you don't have a Godfather clip for?) Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16237 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well no Bob. There is only book that you need to read to understand how the world really works, which is the Godfather.

Teachers ought to teach them that.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Being a teacher sucks/is awesome (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL