The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Check out this Giant Bouquet from Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Http://bobsolarimagic.com/shop/Giant%20B......%20Silks
I'm posting this to let you guys know that I have used this in about 3 shows and I'm starting to like this a lot ....I never really used flowers, bouquets and similar items because the "good ones" are insanely pricey ( of course just my opinion from a "newish" child entertainer ) and if you go cheap it looks cheap and you end up paying what you get for...I'm sure we have all been down that road or know of someone who has... Back to the Giant Bouquet of flowers from Silks; they are bright and vibrant and keep tight for a nice display... Eas to use and a great solo piece or addition to your routine ... I was shocked at the price too ... Picked it up for $49.95....check out the link I posted above...

Junior Smile
J Rodriguez
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Check out Richard Hughes feather flower website. He is the king of feather flowers.

http://www.hughesmagic.com/
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Well, they look fine & the price is great, but that's NOT what I would call "giant". Check out some of the stuff on the China websires...they make single flowers that are 3 times that size!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7368 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
These are not feather flowers but made of fabric. You get what you pay for. Sleeve bouquets can be used many different ways. Once you make the jump for the initial purchase you will not be limited by just producing it in one manner as these are.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I tried the foreign ones before. There are two catches. One is they are knock-offs. The other catch is because they do not last as long, making the performer look cheap because of the poor quality.

The cloth ones are heavier and will not compress as small as the feathered ones. They also come in less colors and can not be customized.

Check out one of the feather flowers bouquets I purchased from Richard Hughes:

See the difference?
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Mike, while I completely agree with most of your post, could you explain what you mean by knock offs? Are you talking about feather bouquets? Is there an authorized dealer/maker of feather flowers? Just wondering.

John
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I believe Marshall was the first one who made feather flowers. He did sell his license to Richard Hughes and Abbotts. A magic shop overseas purchased Richard's feather flowers. Next was noticed that magic shop is copying Richard's license plans in general. That magic corporation is also in a different country which is illegal to sell to America because of the government's law. But they send their items to another country, passing around the government law. Their flowers are bad quality, not looking like what they show on their website. I know because I was one the fools to purchase them.

If I am wrong, Richard will correct me.
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Nice... thanks again for links and pic... hughesmagic.com has some pretty nice stuff.. ( someday I guess)... I figured I would post what I have for a nice alternative or if your in a pinch...

Junior Smile
J Rodriguez
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4872 Posts

Profile of RNK
Hey Junior- I have to agree with you. While, obviously, Hughes flowers are much nicer I think the flowers that come with this look great. Especially for the price! I have used these in a more than a few shows now and I still get the Oooos, Ahhhhs and gasps. These are made nicely and have a great look to them. I have been re-booked from a few of the shows I have used these in so I don't think the "professional" aspect is lacking with these. Of course, overtime they probably won't hold up like Hughes flowers but for the price in this tight economy this is well worth it, especially if you like the effect.

Matter of fact I am ramping up for the start of the cruise ship season and plan on adding these to the show. And I would not do this if they looked horribly in any way.

Trying to raise 3 boys, two cats, a dog and a bunny rabbit I have a rather large grocery bill- so sometimes I have to bite the bullet for the alternate. And in this case- these flowers still get fantastic reactions. Not to mention the silks and hold out that come with it are very nice.

RNK
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1354 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Here is my Marshall Jumbo Botania, at a live mall performance:

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/......df3a.jpg
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Making flowers appear is a great way to start off a show, it's quick, magical, and sets the scene - literally, as the flowers can then adorn the set for the remainder of the performance.

I used to have a little metal gadget which was a small cone on a pull, and held flash wool. There was also a tube down the inside, which held a striker from a "Clipper" lighter.

It was as simple as putting my hands together, grasping the flowers hidden in each s****e, strike the flint, causing the wool to ignite, and under cover of the flash, pull out the flowers, and release the pull.

It was super easy, and always elicited a round of applause, gasps, etc.

But the darn thing broke, and I can't find another. Pity, as it was a really cool little gizmo.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I think Richard Hughes will tell you that Rudolf Schlosser preceded Horace Marshall, in the manufacture of f*****r flowers and, if I remember correctly, Schlosser (born in Germany)learned the technique 'over there' or from German immigrants. Richard,very kindly sent me a biographical overview of Schlosser. Oh! Conradi had sold f*****r flowers in Germany before Schlosser.

I vividly remember Harry Blackstone (pere) "filling the stage" with his (Horace Marshall made) Enchanted Garden in 1946. Years later, when I played the Coronado Theater in Rockford,IL for a corporate party, I mentioned the date to George Johnstone. George told me that the Coronado was the theater where Harry "broke in the flower routine. Egad! I had stood on the same "boards" as Blackstone!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2014, Acecardician wrote:
Here is my Marshall Jumbo Botania, at a live mall performance:

They look wonderful. Old as they are, they are in excellent shape. Thanks for posting.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie

Dynamike looks like he's going to the prom!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
WOW! --a STAGE SIZE CORSAGE! (HEEHEE) --AND, those ARE Richard Hughes flowers! (See the little white "dot" of cotton in the center of each flower!)

You look like a "proud father" Mike!
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1354 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Love that Bouquet DynaMike. I wish I had one. Smile

How are you Dick Oslund? We worked the New Orleans Magic banquet together a couple or so years back, and I used my Giant Marshall Botania in that show. I remembered we talked about it. Hope you are doing well.

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, Acecardician wrote:
Love that Bouquet DynaMike. I wish I had one. Smile

Just save up two or three weeks, he'll make you one too. Smile

Gorgeous.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
The Flower Bouquets you are speaking about can be purchased through D. Robbins and are about half the price.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend Rodney~! It's the difference between a Ford, and a Rolls/Royce! Ya gits what ya pay for!

Richard Hughes learned from Horace & Marie Marshall--and they "learned him real good" (Richard "stayed teached"!)

If I were working (I'm retired)and planned to use flowers, they would be made by Richard Hughes!
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1354 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2014, Rodney Palmer wrote:
The Flower Bouquets you are speaking about can be purchased through D. Robbins and are about half the price.

Rodney

I also bought cloth "flowers", and got laughed at by non magician friends for making a bad purchase.
And I was not looking for a laugh.

By the time you spend hundreds of dollars trying all the bad flowers, it would be more thrifty to buy the best first(Hughes or Marshall). You might even save money. And the better flowers will last longer, saving you even more money.

If anyone is considering buying flowers, take the advice of those of us that have done it before. Buy the best first. And a lot of those "less expensive" "flowers" look more like feather dusters. Smile

ACE Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Check out this Giant Bouquet from Silks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL