The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Creative Challenge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Here's a creative challenge for anyone interested.

Suppose I want to create a mentalism effect that combines mentalism with being able to play a bit of music -- I'm not a brilliant musician, but I can play a few nice guitar tunes. The only 'plot' that I can think of is the obvious one: bunch of famous tunes written on billets, spec makes a 'free choice', I read her mind and can start playing her tune on the guitar. Or, same thing more directly, 'spec thinks of tune and I play it'.

This is ok, but being able to play the tune is just another form of reveal, slightly more interesting than 'and here's the name of your tune written on my scribble pad'.

I'm wondering if there's any other plot, any other path, which would allow me to combine mentalism with being able to play a bit of guitar, and not just use it as a reveal. Any ideas?
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Ian, does it matter what the tune is?
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Not really.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
1. Music Influence :

While the performer plays his guitar, the participant become relax and visualize a landscape with different characteristics.
After the participant´s visualization, the performer takes an envelope that shows a landscapes with all the different things that the participant saw in his mind.

2. Note vibration:
Because every natural note (C-D-E..., without alteration) is related to a chakra, a participant focus on an recent life situation, and with that arrives to a specific note. The performer can play that note on his guitar (or play that note on a record), and for those who cant recognize notes, he has it written on the back of his guitar.

A few ideas Smile

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Start off by saying that most people get existing songs stuck in their head but you get melodies that haven't been written yet. Play a haunting and brief melody a few times throughout your show stating that you don't know why you can't get this tune out of your head. At some point after you've played this melody a couple of times force a word which consists of letters A-G, like FACE or FEED or DEAF. As you focus on the spectator you return to this haunting melody which consist of those notes. You then write the melody on a staff which has been prewritten on a whiteboard. (So as not to give the game away too early the staff should be written on the backside of the whiteboard and then turned around at the appropriate time.)

Eventually you figure out what has happened and write the letter of the note underneath each note on the staff revealing their word.

This sort of moves it from a reveal to a spookier auditory prediction.

To make things more acoustically interesting, instead of individual notes you could arpeggiate the chords with these letters offering a greater chance at hitting on something more interesting. Like F to Am to C to Em would sound pretty good.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Amira: Music influence. Very good! I like this. I see some potential here. Thank you.

Steven: Some nice ideas to explore there. I especially like the opening patter theme: some get tunes stuck in their head, I get tunes that are GOING to be stuck in someone's head. Nice twist. For me personally, in practical terms, it would have to be a self-contained routine, start-middle-end, not something that runs through a show. But yes, this idea has a lot of merit. Thank you.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
According to a lot of sf stories music is the universal language - with that concept, you could communicate all sorts of things besides reveals - you can do mental journeys - thought implantation - enhance cognitive abilities - manipulate cosmic harmonic forces and so on. I often use music as a creative exercise for imagination engagement.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Ian,

I'm not sure if this is possible (methodologically), but how about the idea that some tunes are part of our "collective unconsciousness." Ask four volunteers to join you on stage. There are a stack of cards with a single digit number on each, a line of hand held bells with corresponding numbers, and a stand on which individual cards can be placed in a row. Have the volunteers separate the cards into two piles of "sound" and "no sound" (or some such terms) and keep the "sound" pile in sequence. When finished, the "sound"' cards are lined up in order on the stand and the bells are played according to the sequence. The sequence produces a very well known song (e.g., Mary Had A Little Lamb) demonstrating the original proposition of a collective unconsciousness for some tunes.

Regards, Steve
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
See what interesting words you can spell using EADGBE, and you play your prediction...

and/or then force something suitable with lexicon cards...or maybe force a rock band badge from a group of objects and play the chords BADGE too...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Different tonic notes interfere with brain frequency subtly, playing this secret code(s) cause people to behaviour in interesting ways...

maybe mixed in with OTL...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Each note in the scale corresponds to a number from one to eight. Pointing that out to an audience can lead to some interesting reveals, I think. (I'm also reminded of the five notes used to communicate with the aliens in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind.")

Music is mathematics, hence both are universal languages of a sort.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Taking Iain's suggestion a bit further - forcing a passage out of a book which happens to match a song lyric or title. Reveal your prediction or thought reading to be a string of letters that don't make sense. Until, that is, you read them as musical notes and the tune you play matches the passage.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
We kicked about an idea based on the Beatles downstairs too...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=82
I've asked to be banned
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Also you've got things like musical cues in movies - the Jaws is coming music, the Psycho slashing music, the Close Encounters tune...movie title forced and you pick up a tune.

Thinking along the lines of Greg Arce's 6 Degrees of Separation too - doing the above but making the link a bit more subtle.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Phantom artist but using sven'd photos of different artists and lots of ways to reveal that...

maybe your entire script could be different lines from different songs...
I've asked to be banned
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
A Note Test... it's like a chair test but with musical notes.
Everybody gets to arrange themselves in a certain order and it turns out to be the music cue that you were playing as they came on stage
Bonus points if you can find a string of notes that makes a popular tune upside down as well as upside right for two possible reveals.

Musical Association
You know that game where you sing a song but then the next guy has to come in on a word from your song with a word from his (this is a real game BTW)
for example: Love, love me do, you know I -- Love, Love will keep us together think of me-- Babe, I got you babe, I got you etc. etc.

This could be a process to get you on the same wavelength, or an an explanation of how-- with a natural limit to vocabular (babe, love, hand, you, me, together, forever,don't, heart, etc.)
Or as an effect-- you predict where the chains of melody may take you.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
"I'm a reasonable guitar player in my spare time but I discovered something interesting...if someone around me is deceiving me I can't play! Seriously - any time someone tells me a lie I play a bum note. I'll tell you how I discovered this (insert amusing story of your own devising) and then I'll show you it working (insert lie detector style routine)"

One of my funniest memories is music teacher at High School playing the theme from "The Sting" a la Les Dawson. It's naturally funny to hear a familiar tune then a bum note...this could play on that and develop humour from the lie detector theme too.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Also... you might want to have a look at Joshua Quinn's "Playback" prediction from his penguin lecture. I can't remember it's name off hand.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Musical chairs you play until a participant yells stop and when everyone sits down you've got the order on the back of the guitar...
I've asked to be banned
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Ian,

Check out Eric's demo video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDf-5SK9SA4

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Creative Challenge (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL