The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slydini Knotted Silks....struggling (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dader76
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
42 Posts

Profile of dader76
I know I will get criticized and told to go back to the drawing board, but at the risk of a probably deserved public flogging I'll post my problem. I have been struggling with the knots for this routine (picked up from Magic Makers and review Bill Malone's On the Loose) but just can't seem to get knots right. This would be a great routine for my act and I am hoping that someone can direct be a bit on the knots to use, or at least how to better understand the methods which the sources I cite are, in my view, a bit lame on. Don't come down on me too hard, just hard enough! David
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22662 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Instead of retyping the book for you, I suggest you buy the original source material. The book "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" has notes included for many areas, to understand material better.

It is available in eBook form:
http://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=pr......cts_id=6

and printed book form:
http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......s_id=188

It was my understanding the Bill Malone's explanation was among the best.

Tony Clark a student of Slydini's has a various angle video of these knots, that should be of benefit to you.
http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com/magicshop/......ct_id=55
dader76
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
42 Posts

Profile of dader76
Thanks very much. I am a huge fan of Bill Malone and generally find his instruction superb. The knots are the exception, at least in my view, and so appreciate you guidance. Thanks very much.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8362 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Dader76>>>>> PM me your email address. We don't discuss "secret stuff" in this forum. Tell me a little about yourself--age, experience, etc.

I've been doing the square knots since "forever". Perhaps I can help you.

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious & surreptitious itinerant mountebanc
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8362 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
3 days later and dader76 has not responded!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
dader76
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
42 Posts

Profile of dader76
I just sent you a PM. Thanks for offering that. David
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
I've upset a knot or two in my time. I found Tony Clark's dvd to provide clear, easy to follow instruction!
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Instead of retyping the book for you, I suggest you buy the original source material. The book "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" has notes included for many areas, to understand material better.



The only problem I had with the Slydini book was the section that tried to explain the Splitting Knot. It could not be done as described and shown. It was supposed to be clarified in a later publication, but I could not find it.

Tony Clark did teach a version on his DVD I believed he called it the Multiplying Knot.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Tony Clark put out a dvd that was all about the Slydini Silks and he included everything you needed with it.
"Silks" too!
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Here's the link: http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com/magicshop/......ct_id=55
Bill provided the link above too.

Scarves are available by themselves or they come with the very good dvd.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22662 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2014, James Adamson wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Instead of retyping the book for you, I suggest you buy the original source material. The book "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" has notes included for many areas, to understand material better.



The only problem I had with the Slydini book was the section that tried to explain the Splitting Knot. It could not be done as described and shown. It was supposed to be clarified in a later publication, but I could not find it.

Tony Clark did teach a version on his DVD I believed he called it the Multiplying Knot.


It was clarified in the "The Annotated Magic of Slydini". Dr. Gene Matsuura made side notes in the book to clear up all the misunderstood parts of the book. See my reference posted above. The notes are in color at the appropriate parts. There are a lot of them.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2014, dader76 wrote:
I know I will get criticized and told to go back to the drawing board, but at the risk of a probably deserved public flogging I'll post my problem. I have been struggling with the knots for this routine (picked up from Magic Makers and review Bill Malone's On the Loose) but just can't seem to get knots right. This would be a great routine for my act and I am hoping that someone can direct be a bit on the knots to use, or at least how to better understand the methods which the sources I cite are, in my view, a bit lame on. Don't come down on me too hard, just hard enough! David


David;

I own both the magic makers and the palmers version of the napkins. The Magic Makers are good to practice with, but you should perform with the Palmer set, The Palmer set has a better feel and works flawlessly; I have had the knot get stuck with the MM set, but never with the Palmer set; the napkins slip like butter using Palmers version.

If you need more info, PM me.

Buzz
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8362 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've been using ladies POLYESTER "silks" for YEARS, and have no problemss. I first found them in a thrift store and paid fifty cents each for them. For a couple years, I would find them (assorted solid colors) and bought all I could find. A set would last about one season. I haven't seen them for over a year. I guess that they've been out of style too long!

I had different colors for seasonal use. --Red & green for Christmas, Orange *& black for Hallowe'en, etc. The different colors made it easier for me with my poor eye signt to do the "necessary".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Brian J. Hatcher
View Profile
New user
Charleston WV
52 Posts

Profile of Brian J. Hatcher
Something that helped me get the hang of the knotted silks was the L&L World's Greatest Magic on the subject. Having Bill Malone, Steve Draun, and Jim Cellini explain the effect make the instructions, for me, clearer and easier to get the knack for.
Maior Cogitatio Magiam Maiorem Facit
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5738 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2014, Brian J. Hatcher wrote:
Something that helped me get the hang of the knotted silks was the L&L World's Greatest Magic on the subject. Having Bill Malone, Steve Draun, and Jim Cellini explain the effect make the instructions, for me, clearer and easier to get the knack for.


That's what I used, along with Ganson's Routined Manipulation Finale. I also developed a technique that compensates for my stubby thumbs, which Duane Laflin asked me to show him.
aLittleMentalist
View Profile
New user
Skagway, Alaska
36 Posts

Profile of aLittleMentalist
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2014, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2014, Brian J. Hatcher wrote:
Something that helped me get the hang of the knotted silks was the L&L World's Greatest Magic on the subject. Having Bill Malone, Steve Draun, and Jim Cellini explain the effect make the instructions, for me, clearer and easier to get the knack for.


That's what I used, along with Ganson's Routined Manipulation Finale. I also developed a technique that compensates for my stubby thumbs, which Duane Laflin asked me to show him.


I know this post is almost 6 years old but here goes nothin! I’m starting to work on the knotted silks and I too have stubby thumbs too. Alan, would you be kind enough to share your solution to the problem? I’d very much appreciate it!

Andrew
aLittleMentalist
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5738 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On May 12, 2020, aLittleMentalist wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2014, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2014, Brian J. Hatcher wrote:
Something that helped me get the hang of the knotted silks was the L&L World's Greatest Magic on the subject. Having Bill Malone, Steve Draun, and Jim Cellini explain the effect make the instructions, for me, clearer and easier to get the knack for.


That's what I used, along with Ganson's Routined Manipulation Finale. I also developed a technique that compensates for my stubby thumbs, which Duane Laflin asked me to show him.


I know this post is almost 6 years old but here goes nothin! I’m starting to work on the knotted silks and I too have stubby thumbs too. Alan, would you be kind enough to share your solution to the problem? I’d very much appreciate it!

Andrew

You'll have to see my reply in Secret Sessions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slydini Knotted Silks....struggling (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL